Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Support the future of WWII Online!

Cornered Rats

• CORNERED RAT
Cornered Rats

XOOM

In case you haven't heard yet, we're moving the server base to Portland, Oregon. Since the beginning, the servers have been in Dallas TX, so why the move? Continue reading to find out more, and support this effort (along with others) directly by contributing to the WWII Online funding campaign.

www.WWIIONLINE.com/fund

eKII?d=yIl2AUoC8zA eKII?d=qj6IDK7rITs eKII?i=UMlfilayxQE:ta6l8E8fSrw:gIN9vFwOqvQ eKII?i=UMlfilayxQE:ta6l8E8fSrw:V_sGLiPBpWU eKII?i=UMlfilayxQE:ta6l8E8fSrw:F7zBnMyn0Lo
UMlfilayxQE

View the full article on battlegroundeurope.com

Not only will the move to Portland OR help provide great connectivity across the globe, it is the home-base of Cornered Rat Software, and the West Coast of USA is where most of our technical team is. Logistically, it makes a lot of sense.

Yay, I wonder if this increases ping from other European countries and not just the Nordic ones. Fact is, you are moving further away from Europe, so the pings should be increasing, right? But i guess in this case, it's a necessary evil. 

Edited by gretnine

• Registered Users

It's not the distance from city's that change internet timing but the routers in between and the paths that they move the data through. It is also depentant on the local setup around the servers .  

It isn't like radar or even sound in that the further away you are the longer it takes . It's like a map with many routes and there are fast routes and slow ones .  The new location is better suited to serve the game community with an inproved infrastructure.

• Like 2

So of course the ping relies heavily on how much an ISP pays for their roaming fees, although for every "hop" you make, there is a penalty of "processing".

But let us not talk about hops, and instead show som average ping times. Lets use https://wondernetwork.com/pings :

Some pings for me living in Sweden, north of Europe:

• New York, average 102ms (62% of speed of light)
  • Dallas, Texas, average 139ms (59% of speed of light)
  • Portland, Oregon, average 156ms (50% of speed of light)
  • San Antonio, 134ms (64% of speed of light)

And lets be clear: If only the netcode in this game was improved and actually gave the above ping times, then the gaming experience in-game would improve A LOT. Ever since I played this game I avoided rushing into depots, just because as it is today the "smoothing mechanism" for netcode is delaying everything so much that two good players will ALWAYS trade.

Although when playing other games, for me it is "playable" up to 150ms (as long the ping is "stable" and do not change). So ok, if it is to be Portland, then it could work as long netcode is fast and you kick players with higher packet loss than the recovery (redundant) data can salvage. Here in Sweden we hear that many ISP customers in US (especially Comcast, Charter) are getting screwed (Patriot Act with Hasan) and in a way, that could affect hosting centres (unless you find an ISP that have direct optics to other continents).

/WockaWocka, with a master in Network Construction

On 2019-10-26 at 4:30 PM, tr6al said:

The new location is better suited to serve the game community with an inproved infrastructure.

Oh, I have a feeling the world is full of good infrastructure to put servers in.

Like this one in Stockholm (where Pirate Bay was hosted):

thu1.JPG

Or this newer one from the same hosting company (if you have more money):

Bahnhof_MDC_Lajka07-view.jpg

But pictures aside: What we need is a bit of newer software for servers, allowing RATs to quickly be able to move around their server instance in the cloud. Meaning that servers could move around (like Discord does) and always be hosted where the majority of players are connecting from.

For example: Let pitch black night be back, and during those new nights move the instance by having a short 2min brake (worst case, but there is tech that could move all in milliseconds).

I don't think the wwiionline servers look like any of those pictures more like a high end alien ware pc rlmao but from the amount of lag at times in game must be a Pentium 66 lol