• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
n8r

Picking up enemy weapons..?

12 posts in this topic

This might sound like a dumb idea but, how about adding a feature where Allied/Axis can pick up any weapon off of the ground that they see?

I feel like this could be useful, if you run out of ammo, and don't have to keep going back and fourth just to get resupplied, from an attacking FMS, or a defensive FMS.

Realistically enough, give an animation to it. - Like you have a key-bind to press to pick up the weapon.
I thought this would be really useful.

S!

2 people like this

would love that , im playing allied now and im not used to the weapons , would love a captured k98 :) 

Would be kinda neat but I don't think it's doable with the inf animation program we use.

1 person likes this

well step one would be having to create a non-attached weapon model for everything which could persist after the unit it spawned with is kia.  Then every instance of said model would have to be tracked so that the game knows how many rounds are left in it, who it kills, where it is, who's using it.   Then we'd also have to adjust the stats a bit to reflect the possibility of a German LMG picking up a US M1 Garand and using that on a french Soldier.  So we'd also have to re-look how 'friendly' is determined.......  

One day maybe - but it would be a lot of work. 

Uhm no.

Soldiers don't use enemy weapons on the fly in the field, because your own troops would shoot you.

Could be something for allowing friendlies weapons to exist, say 1 in 5 change when the owner dies (weapon may have been disabled).

I think a better idea to pick up our  dead solider ammo so you don't have to rtb or YELL out load for ammo

On 10/29/2019 at 6:59 PM, B2K said:

well step one would be having to create a non-attached weapon model for everything which could persist after the unit it spawned with is kia.  Then every instance of said model would have to be tracked so that the game knows how many rounds are left in it, who it kills, where it is, who's using it.   Then we'd also have to adjust the stats a bit to reflect the possibility of a German LMG picking up a US M1 Garand and using that on a french Soldier.  So we'd also have to re-look how 'friendly' is determined.......  

One day maybe - but it would be a lot of work. 

Well, you could code it so any dropped weapon has only one full clip available, and disappears after a pre-determined period of time (most likely tied to when the dead body disappears), this eliminates a lot of the coding/tracking nightmare, but yeah, seems like a lot of work. 

On 10/29/2019 at 4:25 PM, n8r said:

This might sound like a dumb idea but, how about adding a feature where Allied/Axis can pick up any weapon off of the ground that they see?

I feel like this could be useful, if you run out of ammo, and don't have to keep going back and fourth just to get resupplied, from an attacking FMS, or a defensive FMS.

Realistically enough, give an animation to it. - Like you have a key-bind to press to pick up the weapon.
I thought this would be really useful.

S!

I would be happy if AB's and Depots acted like ammo box's and you could re-supply without de-spawning. Why this isn't incorporated I don't know. 

On 10/29/2019 at 7:20 PM, delems said:

Uhm no.

Soldiers don't use enemy weapons on the fly in the field, because your own troops would shoot you.

Could be something for allowing friendlies weapons to exist, say 1 in 5 change when the owner dies (weapon may have been disabled).

Why would they do that? No one is suggesting that they be allowed to switch uniforms. The catch is you could never resupply that captured weapon, and be forced to drop your own weapon, or face a stamina penalty.