• Announcements

• HEAVY265

New Forum Lead!   11/17/2019

It's with great pleasure to announce B2K as the new Forum Lead.   I am very confident he will be good for the forums, he has great ideas and direction for the future of the forums.
      Good luck sir and GOD speed.
halsey

rebuild timers on AI

12 posts in this topic

Maybe not on the mg ai, but the 20mm, 40mm, and 88/90mm should have a higher rebuild time or take significantly more repair kits to rebuild.

There is no rebuild time;  all AI must be manually rebuilt.

Unless something just changed.

Edited by delems
1 person likes this

I don’t believe there are automatic rebuild timers on AI (except for Factory AI IIRC).. 

i was talking about manual rebuild, the fact that an engineer can instantly rebuild a heavy aaa gun is a little over the top IMO

47 minutes ago, halsey said:

i was talking about manual rebuild, the fact that an engineer can instantly rebuild a heavy aaa gun is a little over the top IMO

If a time were to be set - how long is 'not over the top' ?  

asking out of curiosity as one of my in-game joys is rebuilding anti-inf AI to hear the screams of those coming in through what was a safe lane... 

AI should auto-rebuild, and have the speed a function of global population, and relative population.

The idea that an engineer is "rebuilding" AI being over the top is wrongheaded, IMHO.

Unless a gun was actually spiked or otherwise physically destroyed, gun positions were not "taken out" they were "unmanned" (meaning that the men operating it were killed or rendered combat ineffective).

Years and years ago I suggested an auto-"rebuild" mechanism. AI guns are attached to facilities. Make an AI model minus the gunner. If the gun is hit, and "taken out" the gunner goes away, but the gun remains. After some (short) time, an AI troop avatar runs from the linked facility to the gun, and it is remanned. Taking out the gun permanently would require a charge (spiking the gun), nades would kill the crew, but new crew would come back as long as the spawn list has people in it (maybe it could subtract a rifle for every crew killed).

If I did that, I'd likely also increase all the arcs of fire for AI, and make them easier to kill, and possible to suppress without killing them (realistically a gun crew would seek cover if sprayed with MG fire, for example, during which time they stop shooting).

Edited by tater

AI used to auto-repair - though not with the varying states you're requesting.  

1 hour ago, tater said:

AI should auto-rebuild, and have the speed a function of global population, and relative population.

The idea that an engineer is "rebuilding" AI being over the top is wrongheaded, IMHO.

Unless a gun was actually spiked or otherwise physically destroyed, gun positions were not "taken out" they were "unmanned" (meaning that the men operating it were killed or rendered combat ineffective).

Years and years ago I suggested an auto-"rebuild" mechanism. AI guns are attached to facilities. Make an AI model minus the gunner. If the gun is hit, and "taken out" the gunner goes away, but the gun remains. After some (short) time, an AI troop avatar runs from the linked facility to the gun, and it is remanned. Taking out the gun permanently would require a charge (spiking the gun), nades would kill the crew, but new crew would come back as long as the spawn list has people in it (maybe it could subtract a rifle for every crew killed).

If I did that, I'd likely also increase all the arcs of fire for AI, and make them easier to kill, and possible to suppress without killing them (realistically a gun crew would seek cover if sprayed with MG fire, for example, during which time they stop shooting).

Nope.

actually these ai  and aa aint worth squat , bunch of cross-eye  gunner , better off  get a player jump in it  n shoot it right ;)

19 hours ago, B2K said:

AI used to auto-repair - though not with the varying states you're requesting.  

I remember that.

I think that the best solution would be something like I have said above (a distinction between destroyed guns, and guns with dead crews), and the ability for players to take over the AI.

Short of that, I think that any infantry should be able to rebuild the AI, at the cost of despawning. If the gun has 2 crew, then it should take 2 inf. If the gun is destroyed (emplacement blown with a charge), then rebuilding could require moving a weapon of that type out (push ATG to emplacement). If the emplacement is wrecked (tower), then I could see the engie rebuilding the tower, then someone has to run an LMG to it. I still think AI should rebuild once there's no more AO on the town.

These methods represent recrewing quite well, and the attempt at doing so can be interdicted.

On 11/3/2019 at 1:39 PM, B2K said:

If a time were to be set - how long is 'not over the top' ?  

asking out of curiosity as one of my in-game joys is rebuilding anti-inf AI to hear the screams of those coming in through what was a safe lane... 

Well the time an engineer has to wait before building another bunker ppo is what, 5 min, I think that would be a fair start.

Edited by halsey