Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Scotsman

Standard bunkers for which models exist

tater
13 minutes ago, jwilly said:

The context at the time was 1/2 the replacement for the original prone tree-climbing that went away when the trees went to SpeedTree, and 1/2 actual ladders...which at the time was said to include both ladders that were part of building/object models, and assault ladders that would arrive carried by a specialized assault infantryman/engineer, who would deploy the ladder and stand beside it while it was deployed.

Infantry were to have a new movement-animation, with hand/arm movement as if grabbing rungs or tree elements while climbing up/down; corresponding foot/leg movement; and upward/downward movement speed coordinated with the ladder-rung rate.

Jumping-down height without crippling injury was to be significantly limited.

I don't care about the animation, and for the use I suggest, it's not a "ladder" in the sense of:

cliffLadder.jpg

I mean as a quick and dirty way to have infantry hop short walls.

Ramp object is like the ramp in the new trench objects, but stand alone. Place ramp (takes a few seconds), walk over wall. A few seconds later, PPO expires, ramp is gone.

56 minutes ago, tr6al said:

We actually have ladders already on guard towers (that no one uses BTW) 

See above.

If we had such a tiny ramp—designed specifically to climb small walls already in game. Not the AB wall, and not the L wall on that one enterable building block (near the light colored side). Like the wall with the iron on top, or the stone walls.

Then make a wall object that is this same height (climbable with the PPO). Enclose some back yards completely. Others open. Make ruins such that they are impassable without the PPO, passable WITH the PPO. This slows inf slightly—hit wall, stop, seconds to place PPO, move on. It creates choke points.

jwilly

Real-world way for two infantrymen to cross an 8 foot solid wall with no assault equipment, assuming no immediate concern about enemy on far side or mines/boobytraps:

First guy braces himself and forms a step by clasping his two hands together at waist height with his legs spread and bent. Second guy places his foot in clasped hands and thrusts himself upward with that leg, grabbing for the top of the wall. First guy helps that process by straightening his legs and heaving his clasped hands upward, propelling the second guy toward the top of the wall. Second guy grasps the top wall edge and pulls himself upward, swinging his second leg up and over the wall. Then he straightens himself upward to a sitting position on the wall top, one leg on each side, and leans back down to grab with both his hands one of the hands of the first guy. First guy jumps while the second guy pulls him upward. First guy grabs the top of the wall with his free hand and pulls himself upward so his torso is on the wall top. Second guy swings both his legs over to far side of wall, and jumps down. First guy does the same.

To quickly model this:

Two infantrymen approach a wall, window to climb in, or other 8 foot class obstacle.

First man crouches, stationary, under location where second man is to climb to. 

Second man runs forward and collides with first man. 

When that infantry-collision occurs, a check is made for the proximal presence of an 8-foot-class wall or window. If present:

Second man is propelled upward and forward, and lands on the wall top or window ledge in the sitting position used for vehicle riding, facing over the wall or into the room.

The second man has three action options: he can change to standing position, in which case he moves forward and downward to the far side of the wall or into the window-room. He can jump, in which case he returns to his starting point, in kneeling position. Or, he can remain stationary.

While the second man is stationary at the wall top or window ledge, the first man can run forward under the second man's location, against the wall or window-building. The first man is propelled upward and forward, and lands kneeling on the far side of the wall or in the window-room. 

The first man can boost an unlimited number of men to the top of the wall or onto the window ledge. The second man can boost an unlimited number of men over the wall or into the window.

Edited by jwilly

jwilly

What is the steepness-limit for "running/walking up/down a ramp"?

Can a placed object (say, 75 degrees) be an assault ladder visually, but a ramp in the collider space?

It'd be much more realistic for infantry assault objects to look like ladders than ramps.

tater
1 hour ago, jwilly said:

Real-world way for two infantrymen to cross an 8 foot solid wall with no assault equipment, assuming no immediate concern about enemy on far side or mines/boobytraps:

I'm talking about the shorter walls/fences any of us could climb over alone that stop ww2ol inf cold.

It's about the ability to improve gameplay. Have this porous, but LESS porous. The door PPO is similar.

25 minutes ago, jwilly said:

It'd be much more realistic for infantry assault objects to look like ladders than ramps.

My idea here is NOT for climbing large (over man height) vertical obstacles. I mean for climbing waist height (-ish) walls.

I have zero desire for AB walls to be climbable with ladders, or to reach a second floor, or to climb a cliff.

Like this:

6f1762d13d001a7ea70219364d9d8d49.jpg

Edited by tater

jwilly

The Jump command currently causes a check for proximity of a vehicle. If yes, the infantryman moves to it and sits in an available location, or moves from such a location to the ground nearby.

The Jump command also could check for proximity of a three foot class wall or other obstacle. Run up to the obstacle, do a Jump, after a half second delay you move to the top of the obstacle in crouching position. Not a continuous running movement, but pretty quick.

Seems more realistic than a short ramp materializing from somewhere.

I have zero desire for AB walls to be climbable with ladders, or to reach a second floor, or to climb a cliff.

I do. The first two as 12 foot class obstacles, using assault ramp-ladders. The latter using a grappling hook and rope. All of those. And, yard boundary walls, raised first floor windows and other 8 foot class obstacles using either two man climbs or short assault ramp-ladders.

Kilemall
2 hours ago, jwilly said:

The context at the time was 1/2 the replacement for the original prone tree-climbing that went away when the trees went to SpeedTree, and 1/2 actual ladders...which at the time was said to include both ladders that were part of building/object models, and assault ladders that would arrive carried by a specialized assault infantryman/engineer, who would deploy the ladder and stand beside it while it was deployed.

Infantry were to have a new movement-animation, with hand/arm movement as if grabbing rungs or tree elements while climbing up/down; corresponding foot/leg movement; and upward/downward movement speed coordinated with the ladder-rung rate.

Jumping-down height without crippling injury was to be significantly limited.

Don't you feel odd quoting yourself?

jwilly
1 minute ago, Kilemall said:

Don't you feel odd quoting yourself?

The answer would be no if I'd done so in order to further a worthwhile discussion by clarifying to readers the specific relevance of any further comments.

But the text you quoted wasn't from a prior comment of mine that I'd quoted. It was a recalled summary...not a transcript, so not quoted...of a discussion a number of years ago in the old Design/Beta Forum. 

tater
25 minutes ago, jwilly said:

I do. The first two as 12 foot class obstacles, using assault ramp-ladders. The latter using a grappling hook and rope. All of those. And, yard boundary walls, raised first floor windows and other 8 foot class obstacles using either two man climbs or short assault ramp-ladders.

In the long term? Why not. I was talking about something that requires literally no effort from the "inf" standpoint, we already run up ramps all the time, including the board in the trench PPO.

Low-hanging fruit. Add a PPO to do something we have been unable to do for 20 years—cross a waist height wall. Ideally there would be inf animation to climb such a wall—but that is not gonna happen any time soon I think. People already used sangbags for this, but they are not designed for that, they stay in place, and they are not purpose-built to deploy in some of the areas I would want (ruins, etc).

Seems to me a ramp that lasts for 10 seconds would be nice to have, particularly if added quickly so that future terrain improvements could incorporate the new paradigm. @tr6al could then really think about making places "impossible" to get to via normal movement, but that are possible via the ramp. Could create some novel play.

N8

Just a quick question,

If these are ever added to the game, would there be an option to spawn in at? Or is it just going to be a building in-game on the terrain, like other buildings are, where you can't spawn in at? 

Or would you have to get a truck, and go to that Bunker system, and manually build an FMS?

Just wondering. 

Good work Scotsman, likes really nice! 

• Like 1