XOOM

Home Page Video - thoughts?

15 posts in this topic

At the top of http://www.wwiionline.com I've added a video behind the text (in black and white) to show game footage and tell a bigger story, automatically about the game. I'll be monitoring website results carefully to see if we're seeing an increase in users signing up, and what sort of retention we'll be gaining in terms of using staying and watching it.

My question is: what do you think?

2 people like this

It doesn't play on my Samsung phone. I know that isn't your target audience. Just wanted to let you know in case it was something you wanted to address.

1 person likes this

I like it, especially the b&w newsreel look. I think it will attract players.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, choad said:

It doesn't play on my Samsung phone. I know that isn't your target audience. Just wanted to let you know in case it was something you wanted to address.

Roger I am aware of the mobile issue, working on a solution. Thanks for reporting it!

1 hour ago, gavalink said:

I like it, especially the b&w newsreel look. I think it will attract players.

Yeah I was hoping that theme would resonate a bit, thanks!

17 minutes ago, n8r said:

Looks good. :) 

Thanks for feedback!

I love the idea but the selected videos were super jerky and I would imagine anyone looking at that would baulk. Whether we like it or not it is 2019, and giving a taste of that would not show prospective customers the gameplay we all love and play for.

2 people like this

6 hours ago, dropbear said:

I love the idea but the selected videos were super jerky and I would imagine anyone looking at that would baulk. Whether we like it or not it is 2019, and giving a taste of that would not show prospective customers the gameplay we all love and play for.

Good feedback, we'll see what we can do to smooth it out some.

Yeah, would be great except that it should be butter smooth, or it's actually a negative, IMO. Detectably choppy has exactly the opposite effect from the one intended, IMO.

1 person likes this

I like the video. I think the black and white is a cool touch. I think it would work better clipped together with some other (tank, infantry, naval) footage. Otherwise, will some peoples' first impressions be that this is just a WWII air combat game?  But I think it's a good start. 

1 person likes this

That is an excellent video.  I would say go with that and put in some army and navy footage too.  

1 person likes this

Great idea!

1) Can it load faster?

2) Definitely needs to be smoother

3) Yes, include army and navy footage

4) Up the contrast a bit.  

1 person likes this

Thanks everyone for your feedbacks, we edited the video accordingly.
There is still room for improvements but we need more footage from squad/team based actions, tags on but HUD off. So if you have any these are welcome 

What you need is to convey the story of a whole battle in the context of a whole war.  Otherwise people are going to get the impression it's just another WWII fighty game, when it's not.

You are welcome to draw the script, so that we just need to compile the footage :)

As already mentioned, some bits are rather "jerky" - also looks like a lot of spawn camping going on, do we want to highlight this aspect?