dre21

Axis Sniper maybe some Camo?

11 posts in this topic

I highly doubt that German Snipers ran around in the field gray Uniform in real life. 

It be great if they could get some kind of Camo to blend into the landscape a bit better.

2 people like this

On 12/5/2019 at 6:26 AM, n8r said:

Along with the Allies ;) 

Actually, this could be a good way of customization. Darker, grayer clothing for urban fighting, and lighter colors for out in the countryside. You could also get a selection of headgear and different kinds of camo netting.

It's fundamental to the game's design that the more lethal a unit is, the more killable it also is, usually by means of visually standing out from its environment.

*** It's fundamental to the game's design

And that is a terrible fundamental game design imo, if true.

Edited by delems

No, it's not. The key reason a majority of customers play games like this to get kills. They also like staying alive, but that's finessed with respawning. If the game was designed to allow players to hide effectively, a majority of customers would hide, and there'd be many fewer kills...thus conflicting with the get-kills imperative.

All PvP shooters are designed around that principle.

Of course it's true. What other sensible explanation would there be for the game environment being designed as it is, when it as easily could have been designed so that all unmoving land units blend invisibly into the foliage at medium distances and beyond?

Edited by jwilly
1 person likes this

The traditional sniper of ww2 wore standard uniforms. Yes they did use camouflage, in field situations but In game we have a avatar. That aviator cannot say, hey I’m in the bushes or in a building. Can you imagine a bush figure in a building? Talk about painting a red flag on them. So.... while I have seen guille suits from ww2, they are far far from the norm. TBH. I have seen two examples of guille suit like camp, US sniper in the PTO from late 43 and a Japanese guille suit like contraption from 42 used IIRC in Burma. I have never seen a ETO sniper camouflage uniform including guille suite. British, US, and German sniper kits I have seen were always standard combat uniforms. Camo was usually garnered from natural surroundings but zero special camo uniforms.

10 hours ago, stankyus said:

The traditional sniper of ww2 wore standard uniforms. Yes they did use camouflage, in field situations but In game we have a avatar. That aviator cannot say, hey I’m in the bushes or in a building. Can you imagine a bush figure in a building? Talk about painting a red flag on them. So.... while I have seen guille suits from ww2, they are far far from the norm. TBH. I have seen two examples of guille suit like camp, US sniper in the PTO from late 43 and a Japanese guille suit like contraption from 42 used IIRC in Burma. I have never seen a ETO sniper camouflage uniform including guille suite. British, US, and German sniper kits I have seen were always standard combat uniforms. Camo was usually garnered from natural surroundings but zero special camo uniforms.

Fair enough , but then give them at least the camo smog and a helmet with netting and green stuff on it.  Allies all 3 camo real nice into the game world with just the standard issue uniform , Axis does not.

It's bad enough that Axis still have to drive around in field gray in the later tiers as Armor ( and you can't deny it they stand out like a sore thumb. )

Hell even the R35 got a new paint job. The 1st time I seen it I overlooked it driving out of the gate that's how well it blended in . Till I went wait a second that's a ET and holy shiz they blend in super nice. 

1 person likes this

It's all a complex balance mechanism. Has been since the beginning.

So "fixing" the designed visual disadvantages of Axis units would remove game elements that (in the designers' judgements over the years, presumably based on statistical data showing game effectiveness of different unit types and weapons, taking average population and possibly different player psychologies into account) factor into balancing the game.

For sure the game would look better if it worked visually more like real life, i.e. non-moving infantry and some equipment types could effectively hide in foliage or shadows, but see out just fine. During WWII that was just as true of the Germans' uniform and equipment colors as it was for those of the Allies. But, what would be the replacement balance factor?

It feels like we usually have more Axis snipers than Allied, so they must not be at too much of a disadvantage. 

Waffen SS used camo smocks/jackets in the late war period, so not totally out of line. Read years ago that the American Army also issued some camo jackets for a short time, but withdrew them from Europe because they were too similar to what the Germans were using to prevent friendly fire incidents.