Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Sign in to follow this  
ibshot

Idea for low / no pop

ibshot

Low or no pop rolls have been ruining the game for years. Just keeps getting worse.  It will not "fix" itself but something needs to be done.  Realistically CRS will never close the sever during low/no pop nor will they have any kind of forced side balance.

I was thinking that maybe they could have a minimum amount of players have to be logged into the low pop side before the overpop side could place an AO, It doesn't have to be a lot but enough to make the game playable,  I logged in a few days back around 2am cdt  when one side went on about a 10 town cap spree in low pop.   I logged into overpop side 1st...was 20 people with 5 frus up attacking 1 town.  I then logged out and went to underpop side. They had 3 total people online (no hc also).  1 was trying to defend and the other 2 (both  green "R" tag rookies) that were on their own mission in a non frontline town running around shooting at each other.  So basically it was 20 vs 1.   This cant be fun for anyone and ruins almost every campaign.  If the underpop side had to have say 7 guys online before overpop could place ao then at least it would slow rolls as someone would be online to defend. I know people will object but for the survival of the game SOMETHING must be done.  20 vs 7 overpop still wins but at least will be some fighting,  20 vs 1 = everyone eventually loses. 

• Like 1

grunt768

What we need is out of main towns objectives , let’s say something like things to capture in between towns , AOs for Fbs , EWS for FBs , new terrain objects between towns like farm houses strong points that have to be captured to be able to own a FB to start with.

you can’t just say close the game at this and that time zone , or force people to play this and that side , but we could slow the progress of the map movement 

• Like 4

matamor

JWBS has no effect during no-low pop timezone and it surely slows down map movement during high pop

ian77

A minimum pop threshold means the best way to help your side in low pop is not to log in!  And no AOs will cause others not to log in... so no players... when do you hope enough people looking for a game will log in and stay logged in doing nothing for long enough for your minimum to be met? If the low pop log off during an AO will the AO drop if not enough are now logged in for the AO threshold to be met? 

If I log in to the game and find no squadies or friends around I may not bother spawning. I usually check the AOs, if there were none I would go play another game rather than sit waiting for enough people to get in game to meet your threshold population. 

Players being already ingame encourage others to log in and play. Seeing an empty mission screen will not help the game one bit. Recently the allies had a stale AO for 17 hours because no RATs or HC logged in, with your idea I see the game having no action for 18 hours or more a day.... that means the game is dead. Losing 10 towns (a tiny insignificant percentage of towns in game) is better than losing the game.

S! Ian 

tater

My ideas around this subject still allow both sides to play.

I'd drop Garrison sizes.

BDEs have more realistic movement times between towns.

I'd slow resupply.

I'd have AO setting a function of relative pop (ditto server-set AOs) and local unit balance.

Assume a (new) Garrison is the equivalent of about 33% of whatever a BDE is. In the example above given by @ibshot the odds are 20:3. This would require that the OP side attack with at least 20:3 odds in BDE/Garrison terms.

A BDE attacking a (now smaller) Garrison would be 3:1 by itself, and the Garrison in the town the BDE is in would add another 1:1, so with 1 BDE/Garrison town vs 1 town with just a Garrison we're at 4:1. They need 20:3 (6.66:1), though. So they need to look for towns with multiple links to the target town. 2 towns with BDEs vs 1 town with just a Garrison? That's 8:1, and they would be allowed that AO since it's >6.66:1.

This does not stop the roll of towns, but it constrains them to places where their side would actually have an advantage commensurate to their current player OP status. The slower resupply means that any losses the attackers incur matter more, and the relative BDE strength calc is based on the actual number of units in the spawn list, not the max. So a half gone BDE counts half of a fresh one. If the OP side wants to attack narrowly (say to cut off units to the edge of the map and surround them), they might have to stack multiple BDEs to attack single-linked towns.

blakeh

We need more Aussie players.  In that time zone they represent the most opportunity for player growth.  But easier said than done

• Like 1

aef

We need to stop changing the game because of lowpop, what we need to do is change lowpop for the game and there are options for that but people understandably dont want to address them 

• Like 1

tater
19 minutes ago, aef said:

We need to stop changing the game because of lowpop, what we need to do is change lowpop for the game and there are options for that but people understandably dont want to address them 

What does this mean?

Lowpop and imbalance (often combined) have been a problem forever.

The solution has always been to change the game so that it can work regardless of population level, or imbalance. Hoping for more players in the right time zones in the right proportion is wishful thinking.

I don't think forcing sides can help, I'd not switch sides.

The game is certainly not functional when one side has fewer people than even a minimal defense (1 person per capturable facility, plus some floaters?). Even AOs balanced as I suggest to operational units doesn't account for the sort of low pop in the OP example.

Perhaps new gameplay could be added such that when one side is that grossly underpop (cannot possibly mount a defense) there is somethign productive for both sides to do that doesn't move the map directly?

FB busting is clearly a thing (dumb is it is). If we had AI convoys (trucks or ships), trains, or other logistics, then attacking those could be a thing.

Dunno, it's hard.

Hey, this is a bizarre idea that just occurred to me: If sides are unbalanced by more than some amount (2:1 or greater), perhaps losses could be scaled to that proportion?

Ie: in the 20:3 situation (6.67:1), every OP unit that is lost in that attack removes 7 of that unit from the spawn list (6.67 rounded up). So a tank gets killed, and 7 of that type are yanked from the spawn list. SMG killed? Ditto, 7 gone. Some people apparently care about "stats" so maybe the stats reflect this as well in both directions (OP attackers only get a credit for 1/7 of a kill).

dfire

all-access f2p to play underpop side only is the best answer I've seen for the issue. 95% of players I've suggested this to agree it would be a strong solution. The Crs guys made it clear they don't want to try it though.  

Edited by dfire

grunt768

I don't think anyone should be given free game play, the guys that build this game work their arses off to deliver,  we the customers need to pay for their efforts, no free rides in this life.

• Like 1

nily5000

I will volunteer to play low pop again. Problem Solved

S!

LIES

• Like 2

matamor

In campaign 169, I heard they were coming at night to softcap the map then they mysteriously all left. How comes? 

Edited by matamor

Sign in to follow this