vzaitsev

A few Quality of Life Improvements

11 posts in this topic

Since CRS has been working on an in-game VOIP system for a while; I thought I'd propose a few ideas I've seen from a few different video games that I thought would improve the quality of life, tactics and communication in-game especially once we get in-game voice chat.

• Compasses in loadouts
    • This becomes especially important in tactical play when the compass displays the numerical degrees. North being at 360, East at 90, South at 180 and West at 270.
    • Why? I've found in tactical shooters (ARMA Series, HLL/Post Scriptum, Squad etc...) that when communicating with both your team and people around you, it's much better to communicate via the compass degrees than general cardinal directions. This can be especially true when you want to precisely locate something (or someone) on a map; as you can triangulate their location based on the compass degrees given by multiple players. But such precision location requires teamwork, and isn't automatically given to you.
    • It can also help with directing fire from static, in-direct and direct fire positions like mortarmen, tanks & ATGs. 
  • Topographic Lines
    • I don't know how feasible this is with the new TEII engine. But I would like to see rough topographic lines placed on our in-game maps. I know one method we use in architecture (if we don't yet have that data from our civil engineers) is we take the models in 3D programs, lay flat planes across them, have those "intersect" so lines are drawn where they cross, and then delete both the planes & the terrain where we are just left with the linework. We then flatten that linework to create a 2D profile of the topographical lines.
    • I don't know how feasible this is also with a map the size that we have in WWIIOL, but it would definitely be helpful, and realistic since many battle plan maps would have had topographic information. Though here we don't need super-precise lines - maybe one line for every 10 or 20 meters?
  • Showing numbers associated with the Mouse Sensitivity Sliders.
    • For players who have a Mouse with adjustable DPI, it is very helpful to have not just sensitivity sliders like the game currently has, but to have visible numbers associated with those values so that we can adjust and calculate settings for the game that also can match our preferred settings on other games (so we aren't changing sensitivities between Desktop and game, or from one game to another).
    • It would also be nice if the menu could show the FOV settings for regular Infantry "hip-fire" view and Infantry "ADS" view. Obviously not making them adjustable, but showing what they are so we can more effectively tune our settings using DPI, Sensitivity, Screen Resolution & FOV.
  • (Long Term) Adding (unnamed) outlying villages, farms etc... Especially around Forward Base areas.
    • Since this probably requires the new TEII Engine, and a ton of rework, this is more longer term. But it would add a bit to gameplay if some of the forward base areas, and areas in-between towns had some more models resembling smaller villages/townships and farms. This would also provide areas that could add micro-choke points when assaulting a town or FB; another place for placing mobile spawns.

Thoughts?

Edited by vzaitsev
1 person likes this

To be fair, while our plan has been to work on VOIP for a couple of years now, actual progress in that realm has not started due to change over with our crew. That being said, it's a blessing in disguise because newer technologies have been developed that may better suit our needs and desires for WWIIOL's integrated voice comms solution that we have planned.

I am so ready to get started on it btw! It would totally change the game. Meanwhile, we're approaching the tail end of our migration, dealing with some billing stuff (almost resolved [insert prayer here]) and gotta get that 64-bit out.

1 person likes this

11 hours ago, delems said:

Topo lines and country borders would be a huge help.

I agree in this it will be really nice.

Whats needed now is a tier rotation, fix the DB pointers and lets go, Allies getting tired of baby Sherm vs. Tigers.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, bus0 said:

Whats needed now is a tier rotation, fix the DB pointers and lets go, Allies getting tired of baby Sherm vs. Tigers.

+1

I've said for a long time that tier rotation should be separate from the campaign,  it should be set on a loop  all on its own, so all tiers get equal time regardless. 

On 12/28/2019 at 2:49 PM, vzaitsev said:
  • Topographic Lines
    • I don't know how feasible this is with the new TEII engine. But I would like to see rough topographic lines placed on our in-game maps. I know one method we use in architecture (if we don't yet have that data from our civil engineers) is we take the models in 3D programs, lay flat planes across them, have those "intersect" so lines are drawn where they cross, and then delete both the planes & the terrain where we are just left with the linework. We then flatten that linework to create a 2D profile of the topographical lines.
    • I don't know how feasible this is also with a map the size that we have in WWIIOL, but it would definitely be helpful, and realistic since many battle plan maps would have had topographic information. Though here we don't need super-precise lines - maybe one line for every 10 or 20 meters?

My understanding is that the game-terrain-world doesn't exist as a freestanding conventional 3D model, able to be analyzed and manipulated using 3D modeling tools. Rather, it is created and rendered internally within Presagis (Multigen) Creator, starting with the grid of elevations above zero and resulting, after placement of terrain tiles and various world objects, in an outputted compiled model. So, there isn't a way to process that model per the "lay flat planes across" approach.

In past discussions, it's been assumed that a separate simplified 3D model of the game-world would have to be created, consisting only of the grid of elevations with a corresponding surface. The "lay flat planes across" technique then could be used.

One problem is that the game-world has sharp slope transitions at tile edges. Old CRS said that in their experimenting, that resulted in unrealistic-looking contour lines. One possible solution to that would be to mathematically process the resulting quite complex array of contour lines to add Bezier-curve filleting. My understanding is that one of the project stumbling blocks in the past was that no one was available with the math background to write that processing code.

On 12/29/2019 at 5:01 AM, bus0 said:

I thought, at least back in the day (2011?) we'd (Allies) get the Sherman 76mm and then QF 17 Pdr at the same time as, or shortly after the German's got the Tiger so that there wouldn't be a huge disparity.

Though Tigers still are highly vulnerable to Sappers and zooks, it'd be nice to get some good firepower to help balance.

On 12/29/2019 at 0:55 AM, XOOM said:

To be fair, while our plan has been to work on VOIP for a couple of years now, actual progress in that realm has not started due to change over with our crew. That being said, it's a blessing in disguise because newer technologies have been developed that may better suit our needs and desires for WWIIOL's integrated voice comms solution that we have planned.

I am so ready to get started on it btw! It would totally change the game. Meanwhile, we're approaching the tail end of our migration, dealing with some billing stuff (almost resolved [insert prayer here]) and gotta get that 64-bit out.

Thank you! When I've played tactical shooters (ARMA, Squad, HLL, PS etc...) I've noticed how much of a difference VOIP makes in game-play. 

1 person likes this

On 12/28/2019 at 11:55 PM, XOOM said:

gotta get that 64-bit out

Yes Please would like to see this would open so much more possibilities for the game.

Great job Rats

S!

1 person likes this