hrdcse

CRS Shakeup...

19 posts in this topic

I've been out of the loop so long, the Rats have  new people taking us to war. How are John, Chris  et al doing.? I hope they are doing well.

Edited by hrdcse

Only one from the old crew still around is Hatch... 

And of course Doc is still around, though with retired status.

The old crew all jumped ship and Xoom stepped up to save the game

If he didnt we'd all be bunnyhopping in COD

1 person likes this

22 hours ago, PITTPETE said:

The old crew all jumped ship and Xoom stepped up to save the game

If he didnt we'd all be bunnyhopping in COD

I would be a more productive member of society playing madden and dayz

We didn't exactly jump ship that's not how it went down.

1 person likes this

Just tell me everyone is doing ok. Doc glad to see you still kicking!

hardcase

Along these lines I recently read an old interview with Chris “Mo” Sherland (I didn’t know who that was, but I suppose it might be the Chris you are referring to). Interview was from 2005 around the re-release of the game, in retail boxes. 

Seems there was a lot of anticipation of expanding into the African theater ... Looks like that was a dead end. According to Mo in the interview, that portion of the game was going to run on a different graphics engine (!) so who knows what a mess that might have been. 

Just an interesting bit of history, I suppose. 

Edited by hillstorm

Oh yeah, they had a video of NA in terrain 2 engine, was dramatic, very cool. Sad it didn't come to pass.

Lets get it straight and CRS is doing excellent work and do not begin to point fingers at anyone the historie is very simpel and not some conspiration factor.

Lets give CRS the credit and special XOOM and DOC for stepping up and get the game going, many behind has helped out.

Lets get focus and play and not harm the game after all I has played since 2002 and enjoy and love the game and also has give donation when need.

Just my 2 cents and my respect to XOOM and Doc....

2 people like this

The final RATS standing when stuff hit the fan in 2012 were:

• Doc
  • Gophur
  • Bloo
  • Myself (Xoom)
  • Maypole

This is who it came down to, to make the decision of digging the trench and holding the line or retreating. As you know, we decided not to give up and we pressed into the challenges.

Ohm was there too along with a handful of other volunteers, and that number grew quite a bit. It's a long story to put together those pieces, but it's something I'll write up one day. It is still very fresh in my mind as if it was yesterday, the whole series of events.

What has brought us to this point is a no-give up mentality and optimism for our future. It could not have been possible without two things:

1) The RATS who were willing to do it, for very little.

2) The Community continuing to pay their subscription.

Not surprisingly, this is what continues to this day. This working relationship is what will take us into the future, and now with CRS being responsible for the infrastructure, it solidifies our longevity even further. 

Stay the course, let's keep it up. #WEGOTTHIS

6 people like this

Xoom,

Sometime I would like to hear your thoughts on game development 1-3 years out:  where do you see this going, what’s the work going forward, what’s the grand plan you are working to?  Understand it will be a plan, and plans usually change, but would be great to know.  

As a player that received the privilege to access most internal information to support the brainstorming processes, I feel very positive about the future altough things are going to take time. The as-is situation (Xoom only can tell what is most probably going to happen):

Since January the teams are back full at work on the 2019-2020 roadmap. The colo move and payment portal changes took the roadmap by surprise and the volunteering developers did an awesome job, once again.

Improving the existing version towards an ultimate v1.5 remains the most do-able plan considering financial/human ressources and technical constraints. This includes production/development upgrades and additions to the current engine. What would be the next focus beyond the existing roadmap is to be determined (https://www.wwiionline.com/game-news/development-notes/16617-2019-20-roadmap-for-wwii-online?fbclid=IwAR1brUtLkZGI1dY1TEIgB1AoR4Yum3eH--VwyIhfR1AIHPK7BeOesekN-L0)

Before that happens, CRS might also become able to adapt its business model that could help with our main priorities: raising the average online (financially supporting) players and rebuilding an active community, I.e squad-supported online/offline initiatives. This includes pricing and/or content changes to our existing offers.

V2.0, which has been referred to in the past as being the game rendered (or re-developped) on a new modern engine (e.g. UE4), still requires a lot of work to confirm if it could allow our core concept to be ported over without any major sacrifice(s), i.e. regarding the map size, the total number of simultaneous players and/or the level of simulation accuracy. A playable proof-of-concept could be launched overnight but right now we might need more help from UE4 experts, if any would volunteer.

For the past 18 months we also have had surveys and In-game polls that helped to audit players’ expectations. Puzzling conclusions together is still WIP but it already confirmed that WWIIOnline is complex and there is no optimum. Complexity of technical achievements, complexity of players’ expectations, complexity of gameplay’s benchmark, complexity of product-lifecycle management, and complexity of the production management constraints. Any path would come with pros and cons. Surveys provided some nice insights, that could be used to set the next priorities. 

Better track-recorded data also allows to monitor the immediate- and long-term effects of new changes (online or offline), thus allowing to  keep an agile approach by trial&errors. This is probably something that will happen more and more often: less long-term projects but faster changes, based of feedbacks and new opportunities.

I therefore will continue to support the efforts with a builder account and see how far this will go!

3 people like this

16 hours ago, XOOM said:

The final RATS standing when stuff hit the fan in 2012 were:

• Doc
  • Gophur
  • Bloo
  • Myself (Xoom)
  • Maypole

This is who it came down to, to make the decision of digging the trench and holding the line or retreating. As you know, we decided not to give up and we pressed into the challenges.

Ohm was there too along with a handful of other volunteers, and that number grew quite a bit. It's a long story to put together those pieces, but it's something I'll write up one day. It is still very fresh in my mind as if it was yesterday, the whole series of events.

What has brought us to this point is a no-give up mentality and optimism for our future. It could not have been possible without two things:

1) The RATS who were willing to do it, for very little.

2) The Community continuing to pay their subscription.

Not surprisingly, this is what continues to this day. This working relationship is what will take us into the future, and now with CRS being responsible for the infrastructure, it solidifies our longevity even further. 

Stay the course, let's keep it up. #WEGOTTHIS

Not that its a big issue but given how tight the community is ( and its small) and after all the funding drives to help support the game, it would be nice to have a bit more transparency about the game moving forward.  Maybe its time to be upfront and get into the numbers.  I dont think it would have a negative effect to see them.........in fact it may have a positive effect.  Numbers such as, "how may subs are needed to at least break even", "how may subs do we actually have",  "how may people sub but DONT play & what happens if they unsub",  "What is needed if the game is to survive another 3-5 yrs"..............those are just some examples. Stuff like this needs to be discussed openly. 

This is not some megacorp boxed FPS zerg game, this is a close tight knit community of players and some players who have become "employees" to keep the game going.  Unless you plan on securing some outside investors I can see maybe not wanting to post this info, but any investor would ask those questions anyway.

Edited by bmw

1 hour ago, bmw said:

Not that its a big issue but given how tight the community is ( and its small) and after all the funding drives to help support the game, it would be nice to have a bit more transparency about the game moving forward.  Maybe its time to be upfront and get into the numbers.  I dont think it would have a negative effect to see them.........in fact it may have a positive effect.  Numbers such as, "how may subs are needed to at least break even", "how may subs do we actually have",  "how may people sub but DONT play & what happens if they unsub",  "What is needed if the game is to survive another 3-5 yrs"..............those are just some examples. Stuff like this needs to be discussed openly. 

This is not some megacorp boxed FPS zerg game, this is a close tight knit community of players and some players who have become "employees" to keep the game going.  Unless you plan on securing some outside investors I can see maybe not wanting to post this info, but any investor would ask those questions anyway.

I think I've been pretty transparent about things, the news from the beginning of this month illustrating that. Everyone who is a veteran of this game by now should realize how significant their subscription is. We're 100% community funded, and that alone. 

The community is doing its part in resubscribing and keeping their accounts solid in our new billing system. As always, that is the #1 thing that we need done to keep everything healthy. We can get to the bugs, feature requests and iterating as long as that is taken care of, because things (colo / isp / power / security / people / technology) cost money.

I will not be diving into the particular numbers, it's inappropriate to do so and it is truly not productive.

16 hours ago, GrAnit said:

Xoom,

Sometime I would like to hear your thoughts on game development 1-3 years out:  where do you see this going, what’s the work going forward, what’s the grand plan you are working to?  Understand it will be a plan, and plans usually change, but would be great to know.  

We just had another great challenging moment in our history with this recent billing, by which many of us have had to once again sacrifice to our limits, that we're just now starting pull out of. 

I am happy to share more of what my plan is in due time but at this particular moment, the Roadmap 2019-20 serves as our primary guidepost, as well as keeping things healthy/operational.

Just know that I and our team are committed to keeping WWIIOL operational, and advancing its technology within our resource capabilities. I am interested in doing more, and we can do more, but beyond our capacity of output truly does require increased subscription revenue so I can buy the time and talent of the individuals capable of making those things happen.

Meanwhile, WWIIOL continues, and as I said earlier our longevity has been increased with the recent infrastructure relocation. 

2 people like this

On 1/9/2020 at 1:17 PM, hrdcse said:

Just tell me everyone is doing ok. Doc glad to see you still kicking!

hardcase

I just came off a year long battle with stage 4 cancer. With a lot of help suffered a genuine miracle. Cancer free now. Still a mountain of consequences to face off against but I'm fighting as hard as
I can. John is "sort of ok" but has some issues to beat. I hope to get down his way and see how he's doing. He just had 4 stents in his heart. Will be chatting to Mo (Chris) on Thursday night and doing some jamming over skype. Far as I know everyone else is doing fine. Some are doing really well. Gophur, Ramp, KFS1, Hoss ... I know those guys are doing really well.

Al and Motor are also in peaches and cream somewhere around Los Colinas.

Edited by DOC
2 people like this

On 2/4/2020 at 10:24 PM, DOC said:

I just came off a year long battle with stage 4 cancer. With a lot of help suffered a genuine miracle. Cancer free now. Still a mountain of consequences to face off against but I'm fighting as hard as
I can. John is "sort of ok" but has some issues to beat. I hope to get down his way and see how he's doing. He just had 4 stents in his heart. Will be chatting to Mo (Chris) on Thursday night and doing some jamming over skype. Far as I know everyone else is doing fine. Some are doing really well. Gophur, Ramp, KFS1, Hoss ... I know those guys are doing really well.

Al and Motor are also in peaches and cream somewhere around Los Colinas.

Doc, it good to hear your doing well but john ? are you talking about KILLER , no , I pray for him to get well soon , I love the guy , We go way back from Warbird also Hatch n Mo, was Dale Hitech there before he went Ace High  ..cant remember other fellow name , anyway to CRS old crew  , I wanna thank them for all the hard work , Didn't know they left... Time fly from time to time ..S!