Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

.Overrun still works?

aef

A friend playing axis told me the axis side has been using the old tactic of .overrun ingame which i thought was a thing of the distant past?....with current game rules it would be ridiculous to allow a side to pull this off axis or allied as the throttling of supply through depos can be a total joke as the attacking side will get beat every time...i have seen sides allow their bunkers to be capped and that i do consider legit as usually its a battle lasting long enough for ab timers to go hot but the old days of city cp being left to cap and everyone typing .overrun right away is hopefully in the past......?

Or maybe some players are gaming the ao bounce tactic with an old mechanism that was NOT intended for that?

• CORNERED RAT
1 hour ago, aef said:

A friend playing axis told me the axis side has been using the old tactic of .overrun ingame which i thought was a thing of the distant past?....with current game rules it would be ridiculous to allow a side to pull this off axis or allied as the throttling of supply through depos can be a total joke as the attacking side will get beat every time...i have seen sides allow their bunkers to be capped and that i do consider legit as usually its a battle lasting long enough for ab timers to go hot but the old days of city cp being left to cap and everyone typing .overrun right away is hopefully in the past......?

It has been working for a while, it is just underutilized and I am not sure everyone got the message. We did include it as part of our release notes, damn it! :D 

• Like 1

Both sides use this well known tactic it is old school stuff Allied or Axis.

If you know the game yuo also know hove to use the different commands in tactic and dont say you dont use them

• Registered Users

.overrun is just a warning alert.

But the .Haac and .fallback are no longer working 

Not sure what your complain is about. If the AB is the last capped flag the AO should be bounced. It didn't work this morning though so there might be a bug.

it seemed we capped the ab in rochefort without anyone in the bunker. 

Could be Axis pulled this stunt there?

.overrun is just a warning mechanism for HC and must be done prior to a .haac (which currently does not work). You are talking about a .fallback which was a common tactic prior to the brigade system being implemented. 

A .fallback essentially gives up your current AB supply and opens up supply from rear towns and any spawnables. It is there to help with any camping situation where an AB is overrun. A common use was to use as a tool to punish a side from moling a town. If a side knows moling is happening and have good control of a town, they could issue a fallback and retain control of the town and get resupplied quicker since a fallback is essentially giving the town to the other side and then recapturing it for your side after timers are up. Fallback is risky but was always very exciting for both sides because when a town goes into fallback everyone typically rushes to the town.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, matamor said:

As gamey as putting alarm clock at 4am to beat one side 5:1 odds and roll map when everyone sleeps.

I can make this promise to everyone: I will never purposefully wake myself up at 4am to roll any map in any video game. Unless someone pays me ;)

(don’t get me wrong, I realize some take this game seriously enough to do it!)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, XOOM said:

It has been working for a while, it is just underutilized and I am not sure everyone got the message. We did include it as part of our release notes, damn it! :D 

.overrun was just a general notice put up when several players would effectively vote that the town was overrun by entering it.  Effectively Stage 1 of employing a tactics command.

Then, an HC could initiate Stage 2 of the actual tactic, .haac or .fallback with veto until it went through.  HAAC for Hold At All Costs would open up all defense spawnables in town to full AB lists.  Fallback would switch the towns' ABs AND ownership to the enemy and open up rear linking spawnables to friendly towns, if you took the town back as defender then you got a 'free' resupply refresh.

Are either of the tactics functional?

• Registered Users
17 minutes ago, matamor said:

This. I'm available at a fair price. 

This is illegal in France but you're welcome to cross the border to Belgium :'-D

1 hour ago, choad said:

CRS should be able to verify if this is the case quite easily. I think we can find out via wiretap (if it is functional) as well. I will see if i can dig up something later.

Edit: Wiretap is not working - so i guess it will be shrouded in mystery.

I was there, it was a classic fallback.  We /overrun, then we fellback to open up the FBs.  No Allied soldier capped the bunker, we fell back. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

I was there, it was a classic fallback.  We /overrun, then we fellback to open up the FBs.  No Allied soldier capped the bunker, we fell back. 

Basically what i had heard and i think that is what people are confused about because if it was just a warning its not an issue...if we can flip abs now without it being captured then i think we need to have a better idea of whats possible and whats not....obviously.overrun led to a .fallback situation which was gamed to death back in the day

43 minutes ago, ZEBBEEE said:

This is illegal in France but you're welcome to cross the border to Belgium :'-D

Je suis québécois mais merci pour l'invitation, j'aimerais bien visiter la Belgique.

• Registered Users
1 minute ago, matamor said:

Je suis québécois mais merci pour l'invitation, j'aimerais bien visiter la Belgique.

Oh, désolé pour l'insulte :)

One does not get more supply when you recap town currently - maybe it did in the past.

The fallback at Roche allowed us to use the FBs and bring panzers up, along with MS and use CP supply.

Edited by delems
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, dfire said:

I can see how it can benefit both sides. One side gets the armybase and one side gets the fbs from backline towns and to use the supply in the linking cps that they own. As long as people don't start doing overrun and fallback after the other side captures the city cp with low ews. That's a free ao boot then lol

.fallback was much more then that, an enemy could take a city CP and end up giving a free round of supply lists to a prepped enemy.  We even had an Allied commander that billed himself as 'Doctor Fallback' and would intentionally entice and prep for a hapless moler to do exactly that.

HAAC in some ways was worse.  You could set it a couple times in an X hour period, it just made attacking a miserable thing.  Both tactics tended to kill the mole as a valid operation dead, you had to be serious about rolling a town or not touch it.

42 minutes ago, choad said:

Well are there any triggers that have to be attained in order for the fallback command to work as a safe guard? Or is it purely getting enough people in the battle to type .overrun thus allowing the possibility of using .fallback?

I don't know about now, but originally it was HCs prompting players to do overrun or vet players 'voting' overrun to get it in that state.  I think it took three players entering .overrun to trigger it.

THEN only an HC could order either tactic, with a veto period just like AO placement.  But you could only put on one.

1 hour ago, delems said:

One does not get more supply when you recap town currently - maybe it did in the past.

The fallback at Roche allowed us to use the FBs and bring panzers up, along with MS and use CP supply.

If .fallback still works, that's what I would expect, Xoom made a point of the supply working that way so we wouldn't have cheesy (but exciting) fallback resup.