• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
ZEBBEEE

Modular Trench-PPOs coming

64 posts in this topic

For those who don't read the website nor their emails:

https://www.wwiionline.com/game-news/development-notes/modular-ppo-trench-system

trench-1.jpg

this is a little side-development opportunity following your discussions with Scotsman some weeks ago, it is not slowing down other announced developments in the roadmap.

Which new battle doctrine do you envision with these?

Happy 2020!

I (sadly) see them as easily campable from armour and air. Is camouflage  netting in development? The game has developed into fast trucks setting up fms  before Aos are placed. There will be no time to setup these type of defences when one side is heavily underpopulated.

I applaud the idea behind this and it clearly shows what ppos are capable of....but addressing the game population in general and the gross imbalances should be the devs #1 focus IMHO.

2 people like this

Tanks can't camp it that easily and can't cross it. There are exit paths every few meters. 

Cammo nets are on the wishlist, altough yes planes are expected to strafe like they would have done it IRL, but AA can more easily setup with safer cover as well. 

I think this will add a lot to game play, both offense and defense.  Preparing for an attack or defense will be a battle changer.

I hope they are in place before the summer.  And I hope the the 'old' bunkers are in place before that!

2 people like this

Like the idea , but once again dmg model for ATG and AAA being over looked. I think we lost more players to a missing DMG model to these 2 units then not having trenches in game.

Don't take my post as a negative,  all development in game is a positive , but overlooking a dmg model for 2 units in game since 2001 is a major negative.

And I get it you might not have the model designer in the ranks right now but over the years , myself have come up with the idea to maybe add a 2ndery explosion ( like AI ) to indicate that the unit is dead. 

Something little that will show the unit is dead. We lost to many players that play Armor for various reason , and I know we lost some due to the fact that one can never tell if that unit is dead or not. 

Especially when one empties 2 MG clips and a few AP rounds and 1 or 2 HE rounds , just to divert attention to a new target and that same ATG starts shooting again.

*** I think this will add a lot to game play, both offense and defense.

Possibly, but if the first bomb takes the entire structure out..... then what?
(or tank HE, ATG HE, mortar etc.)

1 person likes this

We already see people building 'great walls'.  Now we'll see them building 'great trenches'. 

It's already hard to attack, now we'll have basically tank traps that people will encircle towns with LOL

Don't see how this is going to make gameplay better. 

3 people like this

*** It's already hard to attack

But the attacker could use them too?  Build cover and ZOC as  push into the town?

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, delems said:

*** I think this will add a lot to game play, both offense and defense.

Possibly, but if the first bomb takes the entire structure out..... then what?
(or tank HE, ATG HE, mortar etc.)

they shouldn't disappear  , maybe have a damaged state that still has some cover

2 people like this

Whew, while this could be big fun and a ZOC builder, that doesn't look like any modern trench to me.  More like an ersatz minifort, and more for the Civil War/Crimean age.

I would expect a more narrow trench for inf and a few spawn points and firing positions behind rear and flank berms for AA/ATG deployment.

So presumably you can drive a sufficiently tall tank carefully over the edge into a wide zone, and achieve a fully hull-down defending location...?

For infantry, though, such a wide open zone would be a mortar shell death trap.

All new game options are good, but it remains the case that the game encourages attackers to arrive before defenders, who in theory would be a sole users of such a prepared-defense capability.

1 person likes this

I started envisioning a wwii style Alesia while reading through the comments.

I would have used this time to make better ATG/AA fortifications. 

The ones we have are just for ATGs, and for only the small/medium guns.   Can't really get the late tier ones in.  

AA has nothing, no protection from anything, and the one thing they gave AA, the bofor's shield, actually reduces it's combat effectiveness.  

2 people like this

1 hour ago, jwilly said:

All new game options are good, but it remains the case that the game encourages attackers to arrive before defenders, who in theory would be a sole users of such a prepared-defense capability.

THIS.

The link says:

We will be incorporating at least ONE mobile spawn with the roll out of the modular trench system, and it will be an infantry spawn point ony. THIS WILL BE DEPLOYED BY TRUCKS - ONLY, just like how all mobile spawns are currently placed. Once that spawn is deployed, your Engineers will be able to build around it connecting more pieces as-needed to help fortify it and make it less obvious for enemy forces where to find it (hopefully).

What this new MSP needs is to be PERSISTENT.

Ie: You drive the truck out, deploy the MSP, build a defensive position around it---and the MSP stays in place even with no players in the mission until it is destroyed or taken down.

Ideally---and this could be a unique MSP, placed by a special vehicle---there would also be one exclusively for heavy AAA/ATGs.

@XOOM, is a persistent MSP possible within the existing framework?

Edited by tater

This should help to limit spawn camping.  One of my favorite things to do :),but bad forthe game.

Edited by GrAnit

1 hour ago, Mosizlak said:

I would have used this time to make better ATG/AA fortifications. 

The ones we have are just for ATGs, and for only the small/medium guns.   Can't really get the late tier ones in.  

AA has nothing, no protection from anything, and the one thing they gave AA, the bofor's shield, actually reduces it's combat effectiveness.  

Well generally speaking I'm not under the impression bofors were frontline deployed, enemy troops a few miles away they are packing up to go.

Camo though, that should be a thing.

So, it’s hard to tell from the pic but these are above ground, correct? Otherwise they would alter the terrain and I assume that’s a no-go, at least for now. 

Interesting. For the record I think they look fine, I disagree with the comment that they don’t look “modern” enough. A trench is a trench, especially when dug out by soldiers and reinforced with wood (and maybe some sandbags, but only if they had them). Nothing I’ve seen makes me think reinforced trenches in WW2 were essentially any different from those in WW1. 

Edited by hillstorm

3 hours ago, hillstorm said:

So, it’s hard to tell from the pic but these are above ground, correct? Otherwise they would alter the terrain and I assume that’s a no-go, at least for now. 

Interesting. For the record I think they look fine, I disagree with the comment that they don’t look “modern” enough. A trench is a trench, especially when dug out by soldiers and reinforced with wood (and maybe some sandbags, but only if they had them). Nothing I’ve seen makes me think reinforced trenches in WW2 were essentially any different from those in WW1. 

Yea we can't deform terrain outside of the terrain editor so anything player placed has to sit on the terrain.

3 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Well generally speaking I'm not under the impression bofors were frontline deployed, enemy troops a few miles away they are packing up to go.

AA autocannons, particularly SP since they could relocate more quickly, were frequently used against soft targets when there was no enemy air activity to defend against. 

5 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Second half: light AA (i.e. up to 40mm autocannons) very often was deployed immediately behind the depth of the front line at which heavy weapons were located, to provide them with AA protection. In many cases where terrain allowed for the possibility of enemy mechanized attack so the defense had to include AT guns, that was only a short distance behind the infantry main line of defense.  

An AA defense several miles behind your defensive line would provide no protection to it. At even a quarter mile in all but Libyan-desert terrain, the protection provided against fast fighter-bombers would be minimal.

Edited by jwilly

The big issue to me is that the players should be able to build this crap in ADVANCE of attacks, such that defenders come to the defenses already created. I can't stand the paradigm in play now where the best attack is one where the enemy doesn't show up until it is too late.

1 person likes this