• Announcements

• HEAVY265

Attention Soldiers Operation Fury Needs you!   02/20/2020

Attention All Soldiers, Operation Fury needs you.  You need to choose a side and sign up.  
      For more intel on Operation Fury Please click HERE Please go to Special Event Forum (here), And sign up for allied or axis.
      This will be a CRS Lead event on both sides.  Xoom will be heading up the axis side and Heavy265 will be heading up the Allied side. This will be for bragging rights.
      Why are we asking players to sign up you ask. We are trying for a role play experience.   We want this to be a true realistic event.  
      So get up and sign up and let's make this the best event ever!!!!!!!!!!
      Give me your war cry, grrrrrrrrrrrrr
      Heavy265 **out**
ZEBBEEE

Modular Trench-PPOs coming

62 posts in this topic

would these be a spawn point so the atg guns could get in place fast 

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, tater said:

THIS.

The link says:

What this new MSP needs is to be PERSISTENT.

Ie: You drive the truck out, deploy the MSP, build a defensive position around it---and the MSP stays in place even with no players in the mission until it is destroyed or taken down.

Ideally---and this could be a unique MSP, placed by a special vehicle---there would also be one exclusively for heavy AAA/ATGs.

@XOOM, is a persistent MSP possible within the existing framework?

Well, I mean we could beef up the parameters but PPOs are not built to be persistent. We could give the "illusion" of it though like its lifetime could be 8 hours with a significant damage threshold as an arbitrary example. We'll have to balance that carefully, and this example does not reflect any intended development outcome / plan, only as a reference point.

5 people like this

Couild it not be dependant on whether the AO is up or the town has changed hands ? something like an FB .Could even be locked to an FB .

20 hours ago, dre21 said:

Like the idea , but once again dmg model for ATG and AAA being over looked. I think we lost more players to a missing DMG model to these 2 units then not having trenches in game.

Don't take my post as a negative,  all development in game is a positive , but overlooking a dmg model for 2 units in game since 2001 is a major negative.

And I get it you might not have the model designer in the ranks right now but over the years , myself have come up with the idea to maybe add a 2ndery explosion ( like AI ) to indicate that the unit is dead. 

Something little that will show the unit is dead. We lost to many players that play Armor for various reason , and I know we lost some due to the fact that one can never tell if that unit is dead or not. 

Especially when one empties 2 MG clips and a few AP rounds and 1 or 2 HE rounds , just to divert attention to a new target and that same ATG starts shooting again.

These have nothing to do with, or hinder, any audit or vehicle fixs. These were assets that Scotsman already had made, sitting on his computer. They just needed textures and some small adjustments by MKW (art). Other that that the only other time invested was mine as to adding them to a dev game version to pre (QA) test and then get the vid and screens for the article. No coder time, no time taken from anyone with the knowledge to work on the DM or physics of atg/aa guns. 

To make a visible DM for atg/aa is going to require basicly rebuilding each gun, adding "death" animations or some other visible damage indicator, then coding in the triggers to swap in the damage model/animations. None of this is something the ones that have spent time on these PPOs have abilities to do. No time was taken from any fix or audit.

20 hours ago, Mosizlak said:

We already see people building 'great walls'.  Now we'll see them building 'great trenches'. 

It's already hard to attack, now we'll have basically tank traps that people will encircle towns with LOL

Don't see how this is going to make gameplay better. 

I saw a random player building ppos at a frontline town 1k out that wasnt even an ao it was just him or her building a giant ppo obstruction with around 100 sandbags and barbwire....this is gonna turn into sim city with the ppps and trenches you will have squads forming to build these lol...looks good i just hope it doesnt make the battlefield more ww1 ish 

1 person likes this

It is looking really nice and will make some new ideas to defense and even attacks.

11 hours ago, XOOM said:

Well, I mean we could beef up the parameters but PPOs are not built to be persistent. We could give the "illusion" of it though like its lifetime could be 8 hours with a significant damage threshold as an arbitrary example. We'll have to balance that carefully, and this example does not reflect any intended development outcome / plan, only as a reference point.

This would be a start, anyway.

If we had many thousands on all the time, you'd have a % willing to sit around in a good location on the off chance someone might get bored and attack. The way the game actually is, at best you get a couple people deciding that the next AO will be in a given area, and they spawn in ahead of an attack. The idea that you could put some reasonable defenses on an obvious choke point ahead of time---where defenders could spawn in upon first reaction---is a good one.

I'd also like to see the ability to have decent ATGs spawn from at least one of these (which will suck for my side, as emplaced 88s will be nasty).

3 hours ago, aef said:

I saw a random player building ppos at a frontline town 1k out that wasnt even an ao it was just him or her building a giant ppo obstruction with around 100 sandbags and barbwire....this is gonna turn into sim city with the ppps and trenches you will have squads forming to build these lol...looks good i just hope it doesnt make the battlefield more ww1 ish 

More often than not, those idiots hamper their allies. 

Blocking roads out of town so you can't get an opel or tank out.  

The best is when those bozos F up an FB defense by making cover for the enemy engineers to sneak in. It's crazy, you have long fields of fire, open area for the enemy to cross, and those dolts MAKE COVER FOR THE ENEMY and think it's helping us. 

Go play Minecraft. 

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, OLDZEKE said:

These have nothing to do with, or hinder, any audit or vehicle fixs. These were assets that Scotsman already had made, sitting on his computer. They just needed textures and some small adjustments by MKW (art). Other that that the only other time invested was mine as to adding them to a dev game version to pre (QA) test and then get the vid and screens for the article. No coder time, no time taken from anyone with the knowledge to work on the DM or physics of atg/aa guns. 

To make a visible DM for atg/aa is going to require basicly rebuilding each gun, adding "death" animations or some other visible damage indicator, then coding in the triggers to swap in the damage model/animations. None of this is something the ones that have spent time on these PPOs have abilities to do. No time was taken from any fix or audit.

U kinda missed the point ,  not saying I need a complete DMG model for every ATG nor AAA gun . But something that gives us players a visual indication that that unit is destroyed aka Gunner dead. Could care less if the commander is still alive he can't fire back .

And we the players still have nothing of that sort in game . All the added new items over the years are great and appreciated.  But why can't CRS come up with something simple as a place holder ?

Secondary explosion like we get with AI,

Black smoke rise from the gun platforms.

Multiple little explosions like ammo cook off . 

Something simple as that , that can be seen from a farther distance too . I know the gun wobble is in game but that's not a sure fire indicater die to the terrain and a unit un and redeploying.

I have been waiting since the game came out for a visual indicater and not one attempt has ever been made . 

I think this is a really cool idea and will be a fun addition to the game. Not perfect as it is still above ground. But it will cetainly make for fun gameplay as terrain is lacking in many areas ... leaving you in the wide open.

Cool idea, overdue, but really I can't think of any Western side WWII hasty trenches that looked like this.  That's more prepared positions suitable for earlier eras. 

Perhaps some of the defensive lines had some of this but I'm under the impression WWII trenches were more hasty and protective of infantry against both arty and direct swept shot while allowing for covered movement and mass fire.  That means narrow trenches that involved far less work and protected better against shrapnel coming down forward or reverse of shell detonation.

Secondarily, anti-tank trenches and a twin development in prepped armor firing positions they can drive in and out of, and finally prepared bunker works of the small variety already in game plus more concrete pillboxes and gun positions.

So I'd say more like PPO berms with supply boxes and possibly an FMS-like spawn anchor placed by the truck, with some firing notches for the ATGs, and camo nets particularly for gun spawn and AA positions.  A second type that is more inf-only, narrow trench for cover both sides.

Here is a collection of WWII trenchwork pics-

https://hiveminer.com/User/WW2 IN TRENCHES

1 person likes this

The result will depend on build timers, cool down timers and the object's lifetime.

It will most probably be used to reinforce local ZOCs in open fields and transform these in pure infantry battles. Mortar support and paratroopers might probably become more often needed to reach the eFMSs, theoreticaly resulting in longer and more dense attrition battles.

I don't think we will have 3-4 lines of trenches fully encircling towns like we would have had IRL. I hope some squads will take the time to try it though, as it would definitely offer a new cool gameplay experience where tanks would remain outside urban areas.

I am personally not fan of our flat and porous terrain which decreases survivability and therefore does not support teamwork. And Playing with PPOs is definitely faster/easier than changing our terrain, unfortunately.

2 people like this

2 hours ago, dre21 said:

U kinda missed the point ,  not saying I need a complete DMG model for every ATG nor AAA gun . But something that gives us players a visual indication that that unit is destroyed aka Gunner dead. Could care less if the commander is still alive he can't fire back .

And we the players still have nothing of that sort in game . All the added new items over the years are great and appreciated.  But why can't CRS come up with something simple as a place holder ?

Secondary explosion like we get with AI,

Black smoke rise from the gun platforms.

Multiple little explosions like ammo cook off . 

Something simple as that , that can be seen from a farther distance too . I know the gun wobble is in game but that's not a sure fire indicater die to the terrain and a unit un and redeploying.

I have been waiting since the game came out for a visual indicater and not one attempt has ever been made . 

I would like it as well. I can't myself do it or anything requiring new code or creator (modeling) work. I'm not qualified to go into more depth than that.

Look great but already have heard players on game stating what great sniping and camping purpose they would have, feel there is enough of that already more encouragement not to attack more WW1ONLINE.

I do understand they would be nice to have for a defense on a town or maybe even a gun/observation position above a town or along a road/FB area.

Like most things always worth a try to see how it goes at the moment i just see it as something to encourage more static warfare. Also more encouragement for lonewolf play (i'll build my own fortress up on this hill and sit for ever til something comes by lol).

Keep new ideas coming.

S!

I love'em. Gives smoke a purpose, and mortarmen. Might have to limit them, but after an initial burst of building activity because of the novelty factor, it'll probably settle down to something very reasonable. Most people are in game to kill, not build.

Got to make a flag out of one of them.

And a really big maze with the spawn in the middle! :lol:

I like them but I imagine more than a few players will waste time building maginot lines while enemy mobile forces outflank them

I would like an option to be able to spawn in an AA gun or Atg into an emplacement built into the trench, with the same system we have for fms now. Green to go (with backspace to choose) red no go..Should also have an option to rotate the gun.

Edited by dropbear
Autospell sucks
1 person likes this

13 hours ago, blakeh said:

I like them but I imagine more than a few players will waste time building maginot lines while enemy mobile forces outflank them

Simulates the early part of WWII, dontcha think?

This game currently has plenty of COD players.
are now recruiting SimCity players..

LOL

Edited by kareca

24 minutes ago, kareca said:

LOL

Come one, come all.

2 hours ago, kareca said:

LOL

and we also need those mine craft guys , they could mine in the hills by our factorys and move the mined goods to the mills . They would have lots of boring fun and CRS would get extra cash .

There is no shame in shooting a guy with a shovel in his hand.

1 person likes this

On 1/6/2020 at 7:26 AM, Mosizlak said:

More often than not, those idiots hamper their allies. 

Blocking roads out of town so you can't get an opel or tank out.  

The best is when those bozos F up an FB defense by making cover for the enemy engineers to sneak in. It's crazy, you have long fields of fire, open area for the enemy to cross, and those dolts MAKE COVER FOR THE ENEMY and think it's helping us. 

Go play Minecraft. 

Where was @Mosizlak to tell the this to the French when they built their Maginot line that Germans just went around....

No wonder Minecraft has been No.1 game played in France for since its inception!!!!!! 

On 1/13/2020 at 6:47 AM, choad said:

There is no shame in shooting a guy with a shovel in his hand.

Though it is 1000 times more satisfying to knife them as they building! 

1 person likes this