Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hillstorm

Winter Weather

15 posts in this topic

Was watching a show about the Battle of Bulge tonight and once again yearning for some snow and ice in WW2OL. We know that this is doable as it's already been done by CRS - during the holidays last year, and the year before. Both times it was just kind of a special holiday twist, and didn't last very long. 

I know CRS had much bigger fish to fry during this holiday season, but it was a real bummer to me to realize we might have to wait two years for the return of some of the white stuff (if it comes back at all). To me, it shouldn't be a random, "special" one-time thing in the first place ... it should show up at different points in any campaign (I almost said "every campaign" - but maybe not the short ones). 

I assume one of the biggest concerns is the lack of winter camo, and that's valid. My suggestion would be to make winter weather arrive in short bursts (like a sudden, unexpected snowstorm) and leave again just as quickly. Maybe just lasting a day at a time, here or there. It affects both sides equally, and for realism sake we could make the rationalization that neither side forecast the storm, and as such, did not have time to prepare with special camo. 

Winter weather is such an integral part of pretty much all the other WW2 games I've played. I wouldn't want it to be overused (as it is in some games, imo), but it should make an appearance.

Thanks for considering. 

Edited by hillstorm
2 people like this

and we can build snowman armies so allies wont know how maney we really are, but yes like snow on occasion as well.

S!

The winter we had previously in game is broken at the moment. When we turned it on last year it was causing crashes so we had to turn it off and unfortunately there has been no time available to look at fixing it

1 person likes this

42 minutes ago, flong139 said:

and we can build snowman armies so allies wont know how maney we really are, but yes like snow on occasion as well.

S!

Lol, snowman armies ... let’s do it! Take the helmets off the sheep and put them on the snowmen. 

31 minutes ago, SCKING said:

The winter we had previously in game is broken at the moment. When we turned it on last year it was causing crashes so we had to turn it off and unfortunately there has been no time available to look at fixing it

Okay, crashes are no good. Thanks for the update. 

Once it gets fixed it would be nice to see. An possibly make it so right before a tier changes since it is to be the turn of a year have snow for a little while. And not as important an issue but a good add on would be the snow uniforms used during WW2 in real life.

Just changing the colour of the ground to white does not really simulate winter warfare.

winter clothing needs to be added.  Fatigue levels need to be adjusted.  Moving across a field in knee deep snow is very exhausting and makes you a very easy slow moving target.
Some vehicles would not be able to cross snow covered areas

Swimming across rivers would mean certain death if you did not get dry asap

Creating even the milder winters of Europe would still be a major undertaking. 

4 people like this

The deciduous tree/bush models all would be leafless. Evergreens would have snow on their branches. Most wheeled vehicles would be completely immobile off-road. Movement on roads would be slow, with lots of slipping and sliding. Infantry in many cases would be wearing winter-white gear...bedsheet ponchos if nothing else. Tanks and other front line equipment in some cases would be whitewashed or repainted. The weather would be mostly fully cloud-covered, so ground attack air action be minimized. And, some of the time it would be snowing...which decreases visibility much more than rain, and also greatly decreases how far sound carries.

River swimming is already on the game's (regrettably long) list of absurd features. Doing so in the winter usually would result in death in the water, not on the far side.

19 minutes ago, blakeh said:

Just changing the colour of the ground to white does not really simulate winter warfare.

winter clothing needs to be added.  Fatigue levels need to be adjusted.  Moving across a field in knee deep snow is very exhausting and makes you a very easy slow moving target.
Some vehicles would not be able to cross snow covered areas

Creating even the milder winters of Europe would still be a major undertaking. 

I don't think much (or perhaps any) of that is doable in the foreseeable future given everything CRS has on their plate. That's why I suggest they have it triggered to come and go in short durations (maybe 24 hours or so, at different points in a camp). Then the rationale can be that it was a sudden winter storm, and neither side had the time (or the practicality) to prepare winter camo and clothing.

The other issues are just too far into the details, imo. This game doesn't have that level of realism in other ways. Players move the same in short grass as high grass. We have rainstorms but no mud or floods (which would also impact which vehicles can go where). Certainly see your point on all those things, but I'd rather have some winter "landscape," I'll say, to look at rather than the same thing day in and day out. 

10 minutes ago, jwilly said:

The deciduous tree/bush models all would be leafless. Evergreens would have snow on their branches. Most wheeled vehicles would be completely immobile off-road. Movement on roads would be slow, with lots of slipping and sliding. Infantry in many cases would be wearing winter-white gear...bedsheet ponchos if nothing else. Tanks and other front line equipment in some cases would be whitewashed or repainted. The weather would be mostly fully cloud-covered, so ground attack air action be minimized. And, some of the time it would be snowing...which decreases visibility much more than rain, and also greatly decreases how far sound carries.

River swimming is already on the game's (regrettably long) list of absurd features. Doing so in the winter usually would result in death in the water, not on the far side.

You're getting too far into the weeds on this. The game isn't a weather simulator. Currently, we have rain but no puddles. No rivers pushing out of their banks. No muddy, impassable roads. As you mention, the swimming is weird (I guess that's not really weather, but nature..  lol). It's a fun game that would benefit from some more variety. Your mention of leafless trees makes me think fall colors would be nice at times, too.

I don't want CRS to do non-mission critical things right now, so I'm hesitant to want too much in regards to weather - but we know the winter backdrop has already been accomplished (it's just broken). So maybe wouldn't be too difficult to fix and bring back at points. Just mho. 

Edited by hillstorm

The only problem I see, in my "bring the snow here and there at random times," is that when it happens, one side or the other will claim conspiracy that it is meant to impact/disrupt the camp ... to the benefit of the other side. Lol. 

Edited by hillstorm

1 hour ago, blakeh said:

Snow shoes could be added as a loadout ;-)

Snow shoes would be great but i don't know if any of the armies used them in WW2.  

For the white camo, that would only be used in large open areas, but since veteran troops know better than crossing open areas and tend to stick to the tree line, a white bedsheet would make them stick out like a sore thumb against the trees.  The white camo thing is a bit over-rated.

I think hillstorm is right, this is just too much to do right now.

Bulge...US:

overview2_lg.jpg

reiberbulge.jpg

1944 Canada...Canadian units understood winter and snow fighting:

0edd95f3e4905108270c3953a60b2543.jpg

US winter anorak...essentially identical to those issued by the Brits:

DSCF3530.JPG?format=2500w

During the Bulge fighting, the initially present American units were poorly equipped for winter because that part of the front was considered a backwater. Within the first day or two of fighting, basically all the white bedsheets from every house within Allied lines were purchased, bartered for or stolen so that those American soldiers could survive. Later-arriving troops wore the kind of gear shown above, as did many of the German troops.

Yes, history! 

Always fun. It sure would be nice to have some winter landscapes in WW2OL. Thanks everyone for your interest. 

I like the winter theme, agree, bring back when can; even if only for a short bit now and then.

2 people like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0