Mosizlak

Basic gameplay tips for new players

12 posts in this topic

If you are new, read this. If you are vet that plays like a new guy, read this lol: 

So you've spawned into the game world. Probably as infantry first, hopefully at an action filled battle at a forward spawn point.  Things to not do:  Don't stand there shooting into the air to test your weapon, don't throw smoke at your team mates, don't wander around aimlessly.  

Things to do: Get some cover first. Even inside the spawn point is good. Bring up your map and orientate yourself. Find the town you are attacking on the map, find the depot's capture point (CP) you are supposed to try to capture. Once you've found that, there's several options. You can try to solo capture it, which is not recommended, since solo captures take a lot longer. You can wait for team mates to help you, which is the best way since it will be much faster, or you can pick a spot to defend the FMS (the thing you just spawned from). Defending the FMS is good, since hardly anyone does it, and within a few minutes the enemy will come to you since they want to destroy it. 

If you want to defend the FMS, there are several things you can do: Use infantry, since enemy infantry will the the major threat to destroy it. Use an anti-tank gun, since enemy tanks will seek to camp it. Use an AA gun, since enemy bombers are also capable to destroying your FMS, but less likely.  Which ever you choose, move away from the FMS. Defending it point blank will just get you killed by the enemy coming to kill you.  If AA (anti air) or ATG (anti tank), move at least 200m behind (away from town usually) and pick something that gives you clear lines of fire around the FMS but also gives you some cover/concealment.  If you pick infantry, you can stay closer, since enemy infantry (EI) will be harder to spot than a tank/plane. 

If you happen to spawn at one of your FBs (forward base/fire base), you have to figure out what you want to do: Attack the objective or defend the FB.  Defending the FB can be boring, since you don't know if the enemy will come to destroy it or not. Again, you can use infantry or tanks or AA/AT guns.  Same thought process applies: Don't sit right at the spawns to defend them, move away to a better spot. Especially if you are using AA guns, NEVER EVER set up in front of the vehicle spawn, the enemy bombs that with alarming regularity, and you will just die. 

If you spawn a tank and want to get to town to attack, do yourself a favor and don't use the road. It's a death trap usually, and you'll end up dead and on fire.  If you must use the road, make sure someone else is in front of you so they die first LOL. 

Also, the BEST thing you can do is communicate with your team. Either through ingame chat, or voice comms. Ask for help, call out enemies when you see OR hear them, mark them on the map, etc. Help your team, don't be a detriment by wandering around deaf and blind and dying lol. 

5 people like this

Way back when when I was challenged to come up with training doctrine, one of my responses was to enlist WillyTee to do a comic.  This sort of thing was done in the actual war to get big points sunk in quickly.

newbi1.jpg

newbi2.jpg

newbi3.jpg

Much later he did a cartoon using this same theme.  I didn't actually write it, but I do approve of the Bieber jokes.

2 people like this

What has happened to Moz? Has his account been hacked???

Good advice, just add "turn off engine when not moving" :) 

2 people like this

Maybe new players should be forced to watch that video the 1st time they spawn into the game world just to give them a few pointers .

1 person likes this

Where's the 'Hey newwwwbie, don't take that tank to town' video? That one was fecking brilliant.

1 person likes this

I just want them to play better. Makes for a better game. 

No one likes it when some green tag drives his tank next to your expertly placed ATG, then proceeds to leave his engine on and fire at the invisible birds until we both get killed LOL

53 minutes ago, Mosizlak said:

I just want them to play better. Makes for a better game. 

No one likes it when some green tag drives his tank next to your expertly placed ATG, then proceeds to leave his engine on and fire at the invisible birds until we both get killed LOL

Sorry Moz, I was just trying to cover you from EI....  :( 

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, rotsechs said:

Where's the 'Hey newwwwbie, don't take that tank to town' video? That one was fecking brilliant.

There ya go! :)

1 hour ago, ian77 said:

Sorry Moz, I was just trying to cover you from EI....  :( 

If you were ever guilty of this, I would cancel my subscription and lose all faith in humanity. :P

I would like to see 1 minute high evel video tutorials in game ... built into ui not just referenced in the forums or website. Have 5 or 6 of them. But if you watch the first minute long video you walk away with understanding of how to find a mission, understand how to find one with MS, understand capture mechanics, and criteria for capping ab, and understand fb system. How they can be blown. Basics of AI towers/pits, destruction and repair. How to jump on truck. How to mark and get to map and keymapper. Inf focused.

1 person likes this

23 hours ago, choad said:

I would like to see 1 minute high evel video tutorials in game ... built into ui not just referenced in the forums or website. Have 5 or 6 of them. But if you watch the first minute long video you walk away with understanding of how to find a mission, understand how to find one with MS, understand capture mechanics, and criteria for capping ab, and understand fb system. How they can be blown. Basics of AI towers/pits, destruction and repair. How to jump on truck. How to mark and get to map and keymapper. Inf focused.

Agree with this. I don’t mean to be critical (but here it goes), giving tidbits like (in the cartoons) “teamwork is essential” and “if you don’t see a leader, BE a leader” to a new player is pointless, imo. How does someone who doesn’t understand how the game works going to be a leader? 

I’m sure the videos are more helpful (can’t watch right now, I’m at work) but for me, when I was new I didn’t understand most of the mechanics of the game and that was very frustrating. Training helps to some degree, but things like finding missions, knowing what an FMS is and whether a mission has one, etc etc are critically important from the very beginning in finding the action. I still remember the first time a mission leader was telling us to warp, and I was like, “huh??”

I still struggle with *making* a mission at times. The other night I about lost my mind trying to make an Air Force mission for a bombing run. I was trying different brigades, really just trial and error. When I voiced my frustration the response I got was “it isn’t that hard, man.”  I get it, but just humor my pea brain and make it a little easier and more intuitive please. I’ve been playing this game for years! And plenty of details I just don’t understand. Part of that is on me for not asking enough questions.  But a primer like choad is describing could be very helpful. 

People make decisions based on the investment of their time and money - if they can’t figure out what the heck is going on within a relatively short period of time - and even worse, people get pissed at them for doing the wrong thing - they are going to spend their time and money elsewhere. 

I should add that I think what pfmosquito is doing in terms of in-game trainers could be extremely helpful as well. I would volunteer, except (as stated above) there is too much I still don’t grasp, myself, about the game ... and my playing time is pretty limited and spotty (and may be even more limited in the coming weeks). Ugh. 

Edited by hillstorm