• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tyrdaimp

Airborne Mobile Spawn

12 posts in this topic

I think it would be quite interesting if a Airborne unit could set a Mobile spawn.  

Options would be either the pilot of the transport plane would deploy a Glider (acts as a bomb) but when hits the ground deploys as a static Glider that spawns infantry.

Option 2 would be a Specialized engineer class for the Airborne to set a Spawn crate (old msp) 

The glider would be a large and vulnerable target so it would have a good trade off.

CRS ain't gonna bite, been trying to get that idea in motion on several occasions.  

Here's what you do: 

We got planes, planes can drop ordinance, we got PPOs, we got MSPs. Transport has certain capacity. After dropping paras it has the difference between player paras and raw capacity left in 'PPO/FMS' paras. Transport may then dump these and when they hit, they sit on the ground and are spawnable. So you always get the full compliment per flight. They are killable with a bullet in PPO/FMS state.

Then of course you extend that to supplies and light field arty and other such that was historically airdropped.

This worked well in battlefield 1942 I believe and I think it's a really good solution to make airborne more useful in the game.

Needs a FIXED spawnlist. Not an endless army, a spawnlist of the number that particular aircraft could actually hold, no more. Want an army? Land multiple gliders.

Perhaps 2 kinds, one normal, and one with fewer inf, and a single light ATG.

Edited by tater

Main problem that I can see with insta army from airborne is as soon as an AO is set on England , it is gone .  It is bad enough now with depot spawning . Cap one depot and the hordes pour out ... (goes for both sides if trying to get back on mainland)

If the supply was extremely limited, I could see it used for softening up a town by destroying ai or when/if developed , covert missions to destroy things like radar , trains or powerd dams etc .

As the game sits atm I doubt there would be much more use than normal paras are now.

1 hour ago, tr6al said:

Main problem that I can see with insta army from airborne is as soon as an AO is set on England , it is gone .  It is bad enough now with depot spawning . Cap one depot and the hordes pour out ... (goes for both sides if trying to get back on mainland)

If the supply was extremely limited, I could see it used for softening up a town by destroying ai or when/if developed , covert missions to destroy things like radar , trains or powerd dams etc .

As the game sits atm I doubt there would be much more use than normal paras are now.

What it would do is cut down on having to assemble again on the AF and fly in.

I proposed it many times limited spawn,  only the troops that got originally on the flight get to do 1 respawn ,ML gets to set a FMS and all on that mission get a respawn depending the ML survives the drop and is able to set a MS.

Also it be cool if the halo around transport planes go away within 2k of target. That way one could actually do a landing away from town too and the plane could be a MS in-itself . Would work for the North towns of the map that don't see a lot of action as is . Along with make freighters MS capable with a certain amount of INF on it kinda like an AB just no Heavy armor , only light stuff 232, vickers, h35s and light aaa and ATG along with of course Trucks to set a FMS that draws from the freighter spawn pool.

I SO disagree with this, it's a top ten disagree with thing.

And I'm a para/glider assault guy.

No.  Absolutely not.

20 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

I SO disagree with this, it's a top ten disagree with thing.

And I'm a para/glider assault guy.

No.  Absolutely not.

1. Fix spawn list at the capacity of the aircraft. 28 for a C-47, whatever (lower, certainly) it should be for a JU-52.

2. The "glider" spawns as a glider and the units in the glider's spawn list are removed from the list at the AF/AB (gliders could carry regular inf).

3. If the glider survives to land, it deploys itself as the MSP. It is destroyed like any other plane damage wise, no charges, even strafing will kill it. (if it is shot down, those units removed from the spawn list are all MIA or KIA)

All this does compared to a current, conventional glider attack is that instead of me running out too late to get on a C-47 that is already rolling down the runway, I could join that mission after it deploys.

I suppose an alternate would be to allow people to join in flight (MSP within a transport aircraft, in short---though those should have a fixed spawn list, too).

6 minutes ago, tater said:

1. Fix spawn list at the capacity of the aircraft. 28 for a C-47, whatever (lower, certainly) it should be for a JU-52.

2. The "glider" spawns as a glider and the units in the glider's spawn list are removed from the list at the AF/AB (gliders could carry regular inf).

3. If the glider survives to land, it deploys itself as the MSP. It is destroyed like any other plane damage wise, no charges, even strafing will kill it. (if it is shot down, those units removed from the spawn list are all MIA or KIA)

All this does compared to a current, conventional glider attack is that instead of me running out too late to get on a C-47 that is already rolling down the runway, I could join that mission after it deploys.

I suppose an alternate would be to allow people to join in flight (MSP within a transport aircraft, in short---though those should have a fixed spawn list, too).

What part of no is not clear?

17 minutes ago, Kilemall said:

What part of no is not clear?

None of it, without a reasoned explanation.

If the units are added to the aircraft, just like players riding the plane, and the spawn list is fixed to aircraft capacity how does this differ from what we have now?

Plane full of peeps gets shot down (reg inf, it's acting as a glider), all are KIA. Glider MSP gets shot down, spawn list is moved to KIA. Identical.

Glider full of peeps lands. You get 20 guys there right away. Glider MSP lands, if the same 20 guys spawn, it's identical, if 5 spawn serially 4 times, same number of troops, but far less effective.

What's the problem, exactly?

It differs on many levels-

1) Individually paras are more powerful then conventional inf, having a LOT of HEAT rounds and para sappers having 4 and a higher ratio of MGs.  Not to mention paras drop behind obstacles and defensive lines.

2) They are an external source of infantry to the garrison/brigade paradigm that would upset the whole balance if they are spewing forth infantry supply like aerial manna.

3) A very big point of what the Rats are doing with the supply lists is dropping MGs down to historical ratios to rifles.  This forces people to either be wise with them so they are available at the critical instant, or waste them and lose.    Para Supply From God puts a LOT more MGs into the mix.

4) The truck bumbles in and is heard quite a ways away.  The defender can either have inf/guns/FMS in the field to deny the truck/blow it's MSP or tanks that shoot it before it even sets, certainly afterwards.  The Magic Carpet Ride would require a LOT of AA and air cover to have even the remotest chance, especially if they can orbit up there while people are spawnjumping. 

All adds up to it needs to be a trip from AF to target to get the big benefits without making the game be 50% para, which is where this goes.

No.

NO.

Actually, come to think of it, I'm kinda shocked you don't get this, given that you are the current poster child for 'we need spawning limits like a front line'.  What you describe is pretty much twice as bad as any truck FMS spawning in the rear of towns.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0