pfmosquito

High Power Usage? Computer Locked Up?

9 posts in this topic

Yo.

Lately, when I close my game, my desktop will be 'locked up' for 10-45 seconds.  I don't know when it started, but definitely sometime around/after Christmas.

I found that I was able to break the 'lock' by using ctl-alt-del and going to the task manager.   Just by going to the task manager unlocked everything.  (The game wasn't listed.)

However, in doing this, I made a discovery.  I don't know how long this has been the case... perhaps its always been this way... but I noticed that when I am logged into the game my power usage and power usage trend goes through the roof.   See the pic below for an example.

I have a pretty good computer all things considered and have not noticed any problems arising from this--that I know of.  But perhaps it is new?  Perhaps it is connected to my computer locking up? 

Alternatively, do you think this means I need to upgrade my power supply?

Thanks in advance for thoughts.

ww2online-power-usage.jpg

Hi Pfmosquito .. I can't answer the first part of your question but the "high power" should not be referencing the power supply but system usage .Even if it is , it was after game was shut down. 

As far as I know GPU isn't even getting used by wwiionline atm or at least not to take any processing away from CPU until 64 bit is fully implemented and programming is complete to start using GPU. 

Power supply size is relative to the amount of power your cards/ video/audio take to run . Normally they are 350 watts and in my case my vid card wouldn't even run so I got a 650 watt supply . It still hits "very high" power when my resources are being used .

It looks to me like something is getting called and not getting released correctly when the game is shut down .I would wait till the next release of WWiionline and see what happens .

Check with your browser up/open then shut down the game (can check with game in offline mode). Mine with edge or chrome up will show high cpu while loading pages and while vid is playing on a page.

Game uses some gpu, seems around 22% average, which is low compared to most games.

I guess I should have mentioned that all other programs and services show as 'very low' or 'low.'  When I tried the space invader game, my firefox showed moderate/moderate. 

I am not sure I follow the application vs. system usage distinction, since it is only the game which is showing the reds.

I will play around with doing it with the browser open/close or after a fresh restart, etc, and let all know.

fwiw closing down some applications didn't change anything.  also, I still get a system freeze after I leave the game.

It isn't a big deal right now.  I don't think its impacting my computer too much, just a slight inconvenience.  It is good at least to hear what others have going on.

Still you shouldn’t be getting a pause or lockup on shutting the game down. I honestly have no idea on why it’s happening.

Are you running an NVIDIA card if so try turning off or disabling the Gforce-Experience in the software this has been known to cause freezing and funky behavior in some games.

Worked on a few where this was the culprit. Your power seems fine from what you posted , keep in mind also that the windows 10 task manager will show the very high usage warning as it was developed for laptop use to notify battery power loss not a home PC.

The freezing is more an issue im sure you know which has been caused on some games from the Gforce-Experience software application.

S! skeeter

1 person likes this

Thanks for the tip!  I'll give that a shot.  Also, I didn't know that about the task  manager being for laptops.  Good to know!  Thanks!