Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Sign in to follow this  
hardcase

Just Thoughts..If thought before appolgies

hardcase

The PPOs seem a step into gaming, what CRS always wanted to avoid. Timer cooldown may not suffice..number allowed may help.

Since you have gone PPO...any thought as to having ammo and WEAPONS dumps that  are capturable...a few M1s to the germans...some early panzerfaust to the allies...ad infinitum..

I want my premium account label..

Hardcase

Scotsman
On 3/1/2020 at 11:24 PM, hrdcse said:

The PPOs seem a step into gaming, what CRS always wanted to avoid. Timer cooldown may not suffice..number allowed may help.

Since you have gone PPO...any thought as to having ammo and WEAPONS dumps that  are capturable...a few M1s to the germans...some early panzerfaust to the allies...ad infinitum..

I want my premium account label..

Hardcase

Not likely doable in the current code base...but that's a hip shot by me. Might be doable further down the road. 

tater

Yeah, I don't really want captured weapons.

I can think of loads of things to do with PPOs, though.

Scotsman

I’m all ears tater - you have seen the upcoming trenches which help move things out of the towns. Fire away

tater
1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

I’m all ears tater - you have seen the upcoming trenches which help move things out of the towns. Fire away

I've posted a few you have seen.

Wooden doors. These could look like regular doors, or ersatz barricades. Would be placed only on building floor textures (or doorjam?). Allow us to close off buildings. Can be defeated by anything HE and also knife, but makes some sort of crashing door noise. Goal is not to make strong barricades, but simply delay entry such that tactical positions in buildings are easier (hear door crash, at least defend yourself).

Steel doors. For bunkers, pillboxes, etc. Harder to break than wood, maybe needs more HE or a charge. Yeah, this is a barricade, but deploy rules limit what buildings. Asking someone capping a bunker to have to blow a steel door is not a lot to ask, honestly.

Camo objects. Bushes, etc, that can be placed around ATGs, or other fighting positions. They should look reasonable at longer range, but clearly camo closer. No collider, just visual.

Window emplacements. Something to fill in windows. Like wooden doors, easy to break.

Single unit spawn point. It would be an MSP with a spawnlist of ONE unit of one type, and a resupply timer measured in... whatever the max is, lol. It shows on the ground as a colored disk (like a ground color, but solid, say brown). So you place this PPO, and there is a spot on the ground with a mark on the front side. The ghost that appears in game (like the green/red foxhole, etc, for placement) is the ghost of the only unit it can spawn. That special unit is a new immobile "vehicle." Say the PPO is a MG pillbox. Unit places the PPO, which ghosts him the look of the MG emplacement, and a disk appears on the ground. It creates the MSP that a player can select, and use the sole unit---an armored MG, basically like a tank hull gun in this case in the spot selected. Can't move, hopefully it was placed well (the PPO would allow the unit that placed it to despawn, so likely the guy who placed it then spawns). Since a vehicle, can take damage like a tank would. (it's whatever thickness of whatever it is made of. I put pics in that other thread of actual versions from RL.

Some existing terrain features, but as PPOs. Say the stone walls out in the countryside. These might be truck-placed. Don;t want too much Minecraft in  ww2ol, the goal here is that you might be able to disguise ATG positions, etc, using stuff already in the game world. I'd think about using some of the farmhouses in this way, as well. Longer build times. Heck, farm stuff as FMS would be cool. Maybe as a heavy FMS (all ATGs, etc).

I'll write more later.

• Like 1

Kilemall

Hmm, on the steel door front, should be able to lock the door of the current pillbox, needs HEAT charge or tank gun to blow, and ammo boxes can be dropped off inside by the ammo carrier DLC that only work for infantry.

Big pillboxes with something like Tater's emplaced ATG, definitely a whole project thing not by one engineer or truck.  And an AI version placed in the fortress AB towns that does BOTH Inf and ATG work, so it's a lot tougher to knock those out and literally require tank maneuver or HEAT rounds to get in and kill those things from behind.  Big fort towns should be forty.

In general steel doors should also be vulnerable to big HE throwers, they did a lot of clearing of bunkers that way, and in general more valid target types for our CS HE tanks.

To expand on Tater's suggestion, a LOT of camo positions.  Different ones designed to cover tanks, ATGs so they have FOV but still outline broken up, foliage put out to cover infantry lanes, etc.  AND aerial oriented camo to make it tougher for air to see ground targets.  Oh and both sides did camo that COVERED FACTORY CITIES.  Decoy FBs, fake tanks and trucks to distract or cause bad reporting, and special audio deception of tank and truck movement (say a sound truck only in HQ units or backline towns).  That's a HUGE bit of opportunity there.

And of course minefields.  FF-enabled, a sign or symbol posted over them or alert that will come up on friendly screens but not enemy, can't be placed within 1km of enemy facilities, limited number to be placed (perhaps only 1-2 trucks/halftracks per garrison/brigade).  Or the minefield is NOT FF-enabled signifying friendly forces have maps to get around/through them.

There, that should keep em busy for awhile.

Edited by Kilemall
  • Like 1

tater
2 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Big pillboxes with something like Tater's emplaced ATG, definitely a whole project thing not by one engineer or truck.  And an AI version placed in the fortress AB towns that does BOTH Inf and ATG work, so it's a lot tougher to knock those out and literally require tank maneuver or HEAT rounds to get in and kill those things from behind.  Big fort towns should be forty.

I wonder if there could be a hook such that certain PPOs must touch a different PPO to construct? Or, assuming you have looked at the thread @Scotsman did about his bunkers, etc, what if the bunkers were done as multiple PPOs? Like you need to build the front, then the side, then the side that also has a roof, then the back, then add a door? That would make them slower to make at least. Also, possibly, this could result in a more complex damage model. One side gets blown (ruin state for each chunk?).

Sign in to follow this