• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IloveGod12

Where to battle

7 posts in this topic

I know there have been several threads about this topic but I thought I could possibly bring it back into the light. In this game we mainly fight at towns or fb's. Is there no way to fight in the rest of this huge map, and by that I mean all the open country in the map. As of right now the only time we fight in the country is when we are finding an fms. If you could make the forrests or open fields a capture point as in a very slow counter and whoever had the larger force was capturing you could really get the battles out of the towns.

42 minutes ago, ilovegod12 said:

I know there have been several threads about this topic but I thought I could possibly bring it back into the light. In this game we mainly fight at towns or fb's. Is there no way to fight in the rest of this huge map, and by that I mean all the open country in the map. As of right now the only time we fight in the country is when we are finding an fms. If you could make the forrests or open fields a capture point as in a very slow counter and whoever had the larger force was capturing you could really get the battles out of the towns.

Technically they probably could, but it would at a minimum involve a LOT of rewrite of the map and the capture logic.  So a lot of us suggesty types try to figure out things that are 'low-hanging fruit' and easier to code for better gameplay.

At a few points along the way we had enough players and more importantly enough stubborn players that people would set the functional equivalent of FMS up to contact with an enemy in the countryside, and fight their way in.  Tanks do better with infantry spotting and support, and it's not so much lone truck death either.  It's a really great style when you can get enough organization to do it.  The close quick FMS to capping though does tend to time punish the countryside battle.

One suggestion Rats 1.0 was looking into was the rally point FRU (now FMS).  The idea would be that you set the FMS at several points on your way into a town/FB target.  Then when your FMS is destroyed, it pops up at the last known location it was at, indicating you 'lost ground' but rallyed at a new point to move forward.

A combination of that and say a further restriction, the FMS has to be set 1km from spawning AB/FB/depot and then 1km from itself, would be closer to a countryside control paradigm without massive map/cap redos.

1 person likes this

I notice during intermission more fights in woods, and I personally love them. The CPs are clearly a focus (there needs to be an attack and defense goal), but it is such different play than in town.

It might also be for me that I make every effort to stay away from CPs during intermission unless they offer a position that is desirable to shoot at the enemy.

A heavy FMS object, or indeed a few kinds might be interesting combined with what @Kilemall just said. Instead of the FMS object, maybe one uses a farmhouse (already modeled).

Easiest way for CRS to get the battle in the field is to hand that chore to the players. Best way there is some level of persistence, like for example persistant defensive missions for garrisons. Persistant mission = persistent DFMS (with certain reasonable setting rules, not on top of nme FB position). Add persistence to a certain number of PPOs at the persistent DFMS = persistent defensive position, which have the spice of life goodness of variety as they would be ever changing since they are player set. Then attacker must fight through these to town. Players would likely use the ability to set such positions much more than currently because they would be rewarded with actual use, since they'd still be there when the nme finally attacked, instead of just disappearing because the defender guessed wrong and the enemy never showed. 

Best type of persistence though, would be the ability to spawn multiple units. If a player could spawn in, despawn (with reasonable rules for placement), and the unit would stay in the field on a list on the player's client which could be spawned into when needed, then you'd have truly ready defenses round and about. The dreaded 88 could see a rebirth if they could be left out and ready. Such dummies could even replace AI eventually. And of course any mission, DFMS, and PPOs would remain in game as well on despawn. This could be used for game balance as well, with the underpop side having more such dummies available per player than overpop.

That's how I'd use more of the map, give the players some persistence and let them set things up. Might take some coding, but no map work, and would provide more variety than CRS set capture points.

7 minutes ago, bigstart said:

Easiest way for CRS to get the battle in the field is to hand that chore to the players. Best way there is some level of persistence, like for example persistant defensive missions for garrisons. Persistant mission = persistent DFMS (with certain reasonable setting rules, not on top of nme FB position). Add persistence to a certain number of PPOs at the persistent DFMS = persistent defensive position, which have the spice of life goodness of variety as they would be ever changing since they are player set. Then attacker must fight through these to town. Players would likely use the ability to set such positions much more than currently because they would be rewarded with actual use, since they'd still be there when the nme finally attacked, instead of just disappearing because the defender guessed wrong and the enemy never showed. 

Best type of persistence though, would be the ability to spawn multiple units. If a player could spawn in, despawn (with reasonable rules for placement), and the unit would stay in the field on a list on the player's client which could be spawned into when needed, then you'd have truly ready defenses round and about. The dreaded 88 could see a rebirth if they could be left out and ready. Such dummies could even replace AI eventually. And of course any mission, DFMS, and PPOs would remain in game as well on despawn. This could be used for game balance as well, with the underpop side having more such dummies available per player than overpop.

That's how I'd use more of the map, give the players some persistence and let them set things up. Might take some coding, but no map work, and would provide more variety than CRS set capture points.

This, all of it.

That's why I always when I'm on defence push for the player base to go put to attack the FB aka push back and not just sit in town and let the enemy come to you. Yeah its the easy way out but once you start to push back the fight depending of location of the FB to town the fighting starts to be more in the fields then at the FB or the town , till one does get a foothold or captures a Spawnable. 

Then it shifts again to either the town or FB .Then  one does stop the Attack by taking the FB or it becomes a full out battle for the town .

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0