• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bogol

Operation Mental Floss AARs

3 posts in this topic

Hey guys, lets post AARs and vids of this mental floss in this thread. Let the best side win :P (we all know which one that is haha)

Here I go. 

At 15:30 ET I decided it's time for some Mental Floss, after having talked to my family and friends on Facetime/Facebook etc for more than 3 hours during the day. I was mentally tired, and ready to be flossed. The word that shall not be mentioned in this thread, that starts with a pan and ends with a (no not hard) took it's toll on my psyche for the past weeks or so. Therefore, a distraction was needed. I had been taunting with the idea of reinstalling the game for months now, but talk of Mental Floss in the forums and a WB soldier sealed the deal for me. I was still subbed, to troll allied n00blettes on the fora once in a while, but play time had been zero for the past year and a half or so. Yesterday night was my first time playing in a while, and the rust, while clearly there, especially on my gunnery, was quickly coming off. I was happy to see old names in Discord, sad to see no JG2 channel existed anymore, happy @HEAVY265 was so quick to make the JG2 channel alive again, happy to see 4WING n00blettes are still in the air, in their Spit IXs vs FWsA3s (it's called hysterical balance -ok sorry, I should stop here, please please don't use this mini bait to continue this debate on this thread, search for the ones that were already alive when this debate took place), happy I could still bag 2/3 per sortie, even if I was just f00ling around, and not really having any wingman per se. 

So, back to today, Mentally tired, ready to mental floss, I logged in. After a quick prompt on 20 (LW the air channel) for what is the P1 for LW, I was told that we are needed at BOZ. The missions that were already up for BOZ had no FWs available (n00bs :P) so I figured I will make my own, out of Garrison Supply from Ypenburg Airbase in Den Hag. It was the fist time I was flying out of that AF. Great JOB rats on including more towns on the map, I was impressed!

After creating the mission, I announced it on 20, letting people know there are FWs available, and jarve promptly joined, and took an E1. Only to vanish a few mins later LOL. No idea where he went. I had some waypoints set up, and my plan was to climb away from action to 4km, then cruise at high speed W, in between cloud layer. I took off at 15:32 ET. I noticed that a lot of action on the ground was happening at Haamstede, and a yellow square indicated EA in the area, so I headed that way to clear the enemy air, since at BOZ, our primary target, we had plenty of LW already. Once over Haamstende, I noticed alow con, 2km and below, that was doing what looked like a bombing pass. I dove in, and he noticed me and started evasive maneuvers. At this point I started to look around, as I was certain - almost -that my location had been already given away on allied chat or Discord. And, yes promptly I saw 2 more gray circles inbound from the South straight towards me. So I break off my attack, and climb back to reassess the situation. Yes, they are enemy. At this point, my memory starts to become fuzzy, as things started to happen rather fast. There were several engagements, the order of which, I cannot remember. One was a head-on with a hawk 81 (unless you are a Hawk87 or a P38 or a Bell DO NOT GO IN A HEADON WITH A FW. YW for the tip). He got smoked badly, and was out of the fight. He might have bailed, not sure. Then there was a silly [censored] P39, that thought he would outclimb a FW. He got punished, in a classic rope a dope. There were at least 3 left in the area. I acquired another P39. I had too much smack, so I deployed some flaps and we entered in a little dog fight, scissoring vertically, but shortly thereafter he was a wreck, going down in flames. And then there were two. A bell decided to try to run away climbing (Don't climb in front of a FW if you are a Bell, unless you are sure you have the smack on the FW). He quickly realized his mistake and tried to break hard right. I was prepared for this, so I had him in lag pursuit the entire time, then quickly transitioned to lead, using the advantage of the amazing instantaneous turn rate of the FW. Fired blindly, he was under my cockpit. When I re-acquired him, he was burning, going down. At this time I started to look for the remaining EA (the initial bomber) and also assessed the situation, as there might have been more vectored in. Started a little climb N, away from the previous action, to check my surroundings, climb a bit, and monitor the gray circle that surely was EA. Once I was sure there was no more EA in sight, I dove in the DB7. He was climbing N, in preparation for another bomb run. I dove a little underneath him, and as my rate of closure was not fast enough I checked my flaps. N00b me had forgotten them at 24% from my previous encounter. LOL. After fixing this, I was closing in fast, DB clearly a n00b did not use the amazing DF ability of his crate, and instead presented me with his entire fuselage. Here is where my rust showed, I sprayed from right engine, to right wing root, cockpit, to left wingroot. Lots of visual confirmation of hits, but since there was no concentrated burst on one are in this 2s burst, I wasted a ton of cannon rounds. Well he was smoking at least. I had composed myself and decided it is time to finish him off. So, a few seconds later his right wing was ripped off and he was on fire, after a well placed burst to the wingroot.

It was time to egress and maybe rearm - I had almost no cannon left. At this time on Discord some of JG51 were in some distress over BOZ, egressing E. I was 20km NW of them, and decided to go and help. They were being followed by spitfires. By the time I got to the area, they were both dead :(  I kept at 3-4km and continued towards the Kalmhoult Zandvliet area, to pick any lifters from Antwerp towards the primary objective of my mission, BOZ. No joy below 3km, however 3 UFOs above me. Oh boy, this must be the 4Wing speeetfires that just keeled my teammates on Discord. I assessed the situation as being co-E, with me maybe having a slight E advantage, so I was going to milk that as much as possible, which won't be long, since at least one of those spits could have been a spit IX. (didn't ID them properly yet). I had a headon pass with one of them, we were slightly offset, I pushed rudder to get rounds into him and then dove underneath, while keeping him in sight. He also managed to land some rounds on my tail section, and instantly my FW became sluggish and less responsive. I decided to take them E, climbing. They did not bite, and decided to stay in the Roosendal area. After one more headon pass -unsuccessful on both parts- at this stage I was out of cannon completely and a little banged up, so no reason for me to stay. I landed back on the AF at Ypenburg Airbase in Den Hag, where a couple of green tags on the tarmac were a very nice sight to welcome me home. I was hopeful they will stay around, to become the aces of tomorrow. 

!S All, and WB soldiers. Let's mental floss ;)

Good to see ya again Bogol! Missed our old engagements between 2009-2010!

I may have been one of the UFOs who engaged you near Kalm. I typically fly the SpitV but last night there were just too many with flying with 190’s. Hard to keep up!

Regardless, nice to see you on the battlefield again!

S!

Edited by viruses
1 person likes this

7 hours ago, viruses said:

Good to see ya again Bogol! Missed our old engagements between 2009-2010!

I may have been one of the UFOs who engaged you near Kalm. I typically fly the SpitV but last night there were just too many with flying with 190’s. Hard to keep up!

Regardless, nice to see you on the battlefield again!

S!

Good seeing ya again, mate! And yes, 2008-2009 were the days. Of course back then people had nostalgia for 2001-2002 LMAO. We are always drawn to the past, no matter what. 

Let's all make this game great again. And no, I ain't no MAGA supporter. Quite the opposite. But let's not get this thread political lol. Let's keep that for the Off Topic, or whatever that side of the fora I almost never dare enter is named :D

Hopefully there will be more players sticking to this amazing game. 

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0