Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

XOOM

Discussion: Avoid forums becoming obsolete

jwilly

It would be far better for RATs to respond to the negative posts in a polite and professional manner rather than hide them.

For me it seems that no matter how hard you try and make a positive post to answer something, someone comes in with an very negative response and it like getting a paper cut over and over and over. Doesn't hurt to bad at 1st but over time you just get tired of it. 

I seen a few threads start off negative and i am like wtf ...hell if i am going to go in that and get ripped up. 

My observation has been that there are two viable stances for responding to dysfunctional arguments:

1. Position of technical and historical authority. When a person that enough of the community recognizes as having technical and historical authority responds to disagree with a technical/historical argument, that tends to shut it down. Even if the original poster is a noob and doesn't know the authority's credentials yet, or thinks they have a documentary source for their views, the energy goes out of the thread. Scotsman is the obvious example of this.

2. Position of company authority. The game is owned by CRS, and Xoom runs CRS. He more commonly tries to finesse his responses, but when he says "nope, we have to achieve marketable balance (or whatever the argument of the day is) to survive as a business, and our business-expertise view is that what you're proposing would preclude that, so we're not going to do that", that stops the argument.

jwilly

If there ends up being no new posts on a day to day basis then people won't even bother checking here anymore. 

I've never seen the traffic here be more than a tiny fraction dysfunctionally negative or arguing for a tilt away from balance.

That's enough to establish a negative "feel" to the forums, but not enough that there'd be no new, interesting content to read daily. Not for the great majority that aren't specifically looking for negative content, anyway. 

It might seem to those who sometimes make them that those kinds of posts are a major part of the information flow, but that's never been the quantitative reality.

CRS used to have a substantial behind-the-scenes customer surveying activity. My understanding is that a sustantial majority of forum readers do not come here to see posts slamming CRS, or proposing that the game move from balance toward favoring one side or the other.

Edited by jwilly

bogol
9 hours ago, XOOM said:

You're taking what I am saying out of context. I am saying that the forums as an atmosphere can and should do better, and that comes down to folks not treating each other poorly. And you what I am talking about, you've been here long enough. So let's not pretend I am making this up, and don't paint me out to be some bad guy. I'm trying to address the elephant and the room and re-adjust things so we can come out ahead and all enjoy our time here better.

@XOOMcan you please insert the verb that is missing in that phrase. Because there could be two, I can think of (are or know) and the meaning is completely different in each case. 

jwilly
11 hours ago, XOOM said:

And you what I am talking about

FWIW, I didn't even notice that a word was missing, because of where the line-end fell. I just read it as if "know" was there.

• Like 1

Poker
10 hours ago, jwilly said:

.To that end, it's critically important that what noobs and others see here is a content stream that's unpolluted by the corrosive-personality folks who are never going to be happy with a balanced-for-marketability game, and can only express their displeasure by badmouthing the game, CRS personnel and those other players who disagree with them.

The irony is that the more vociferous are often the first to complain that population is too low when they are online ;)

Edited by Poker

XOOM

We'll back back to this to discuss. The word above was, "know." More to follow.