Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

delems

Big town rubble bldgs.

delems

All those rubble buildings in Rotter (just a bit ago in intermission) were great!

Can our current bombs rubble those buildings like that?

If not, we need to get that in game, that was great having all those buildings rubble like that.

Cool terrain.

XOOM
11 hours ago, delems said:

All those rubble buildings in Rotter (just a bit ago in intermission) were great!

If not, we need to get that in game, that was great having all those buildings rubble like that.

Cool terrain.

Yes, you’ll need to drop the bigger bombs but it can be done. And they’ll stay down for quite awhile, including when we restart the server.

delems

What about infantry HE?

XOOM
1 minute ago, delems said:

What about infantry HE?

It would take a lot of satchels, but you can blow up buildings. Destroyers too can rip buildings up good.

ZEBBEEE
11 hours ago, delems said:

Cool terrain.

screenshots, or it didn't happen!

blggles

Hey I wasn't dreaming, thought it was a bug. Nice to hear.

tatonka

flew over rottordam and found no destroyed buildings, so then I spawn a DD and shelled buildings . in pos 7 I hit a cp 3 times it blew . Then uloaded rounds on several of the buildings until all 120 shells gone . Could not get the big building to blow up.

delems

Ya, just tried some infantry HE on a warehouse in Rotter S, couldn't rubble it either.

Something up that town and terrain rubble regarding HE.

• Like 1

delems

Ya, something not working right.

Just put over 160 DD shells into a Rotter S bldg, nothing.

• Like 1

tatonka

2 maps ago or so was in England and a lot of the big buildings were blown . Had some good cover in them .

tex64

So the Stuh42 can make an impression as well, I hope?  :)

delems

Bump, since we talking about buildings and rubble in a poll.

tr6al

Some Buildings that become "unattached" from the strat server will not rubble . They would have to be pointed out and I can see if I can fix them .If I had a picture over the town of the offending buildings, or have them marked on a map, I can do something about them .

delems

The warehouses I was hitting were the ones just W of S Rotterdamn dock; they are the 4 in a row.

Or they were the 4 just E of N Rotter dock.  Can't recall now.

Basically, just make every building in Rotter (N and S) be able to be rubbled (reasonable amount of HE)

jwilly

Someday, maybe:

Strat server changed to four state (!), with an additional two bits for unburned/burning/smoking/burned out.

All the building models replaced (!) with "building block" models. A "block" would be ~4 meters x ~4 meters x 1 story high, including a section of the roof if the topmost floor.

That's about the damage extent of a 75mm/88mm/94mm HE shell, a PIAT HE round or a two-stick demolition charge. Larger ordnance...127mm shells, aerial bombs...would cause damage to multiple adjacent "blocks", depending on ordnance performance.

Each "block" model would have its own damage state and model-versions...intact; lightly damaged (broken windows, fallen curtains, a few pock marks); heavily damaged (doors and windows blown out and openings ragged around the edges, cracks and holes in walls); and destroyed (wrecked beyond heavily damaged; rubbled if the topmost previously-undestroyed floor).

Some kinds of ordnance might start a fire. Fire might spread horizontally and upward. After a "block" had burned for a while, it would burn out. Burning might cause a progression of physical damage by one step or more. Any burned state would result in burn marks above windows/doors.

The goal would be to create a much more complex and varied battle-damage experience, which particularly affects infantry gameplay so much.

Like I said...someday, maybe.  S!

tater
1 hour ago, jwilly said:

Strat server changed to four state (!), with an additional two bits for unburned/burning/smoking/burned out.

All the building models replaced (!) with "building block" models. A "block" would be ~4 meters x ~4 meters x 1 story high, including a section of the roof if the topmost floor.

The burning bit would be less important than multiple states. First state might be very minor damage, broken windows, some holes, second starts looking ruined, and so forth. The benefit would also be additional bombing/HE/FF kills. It would be nice if bombing was less all or nothing rubble wise, and continued bombing would have some additional killing effect (instead of hiding in a ruin knowing you are literally bombproof). Ie: every time the block changes state, anyone inside dies.

This is such a great idea, because the interaction between those blocks could make for much more varied terrain.

Another idea I still like is leveraging PPOs. We have these trenches which I can't ever see working defensively, but what I want is some "rubble" and otherwise urban PPOs.

Elsewhere I proposed a board as a ramp PPO for climbing walls. The PPO could time out fairly quickly, and any HE blows it. Imagine making some ruins with areas that are inaccessible, except via PPO placement. Right now some upstairs ruins require balance beaming up a / or leaping off a roof, this would be similar, but you place a PPO (then I suppose you could blow the PPO if you like).

Edited by tater

drkmouse

rember thos e sachel   bloin gup  buidlnig in many town LOL

tr6al

OK @delems , the factories in Rotterdam are not "RDP" factories so they act as normal buildings that  can only be destroyed if the town is front line. As Rotterdam is split into sections , it is not all "front line" at the same time . 

10 hours ago, jwilly said:

This would take completely new buildings created for each new state and programming to make it a 4 state action.  Other things take precedence time wise. 

Tr6al

jwilly
3 hours ago, tr6al said:

Other things take precedence time wise. 

Yes, understood. Totally impractical for now.   :DS!

I comment about impractical stuff like this only because having better looking world-damage might be good for marketing and therefore commercial success.

Many years ago, Doc said that the game couldn't have incendiary weapons...I think the initial subject was flamethrowers, but WP shells, grenades and aerial bombs would apply as well...because the world is fireproof, and it'd be unrealistic to have real-world-burnable objects unaffected by fire. That all ties into the marketing angle, from multiple perspectives.

Edited by jwilly

delems

We tested rubble on those building during intermission, where N and S were owned by opposing sides.  Hence, frontline.

• Like 1