Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

XOOM

Pittpete's Terrain Texture Update

XOOM

Have you guys seen this? What do you think?

96383730_10157445986431275_3035842253869

• Like 2

gavalink

It looks nice and more realistic. I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

Jsilec

Looks good 

• Like 1

sorella

thx for the time and work. S! 

• Like 1

Paddyo

Looks great.  Big thumbs up!

• Like 1

saffroli

Think it looks awesome, is the in-game map going to be adjusted to compensate for the proposed changes?

PITTPETE

^^^I believe so @saffroli

Also, just to clarify only the textures are being modified

Im not able to create/modify existing terrain features like berms,hills,roads,etc...

This is the first stage on refreshing the game world

S!

• Like 1

tater

Looks cool. Does it have any actual effect other than visual on the ground?

Ie: does it impact vehicles speed, sprint drain, etc?

Could it?

PITTPETE

at this time, no

just visuals

tater
56 minutes ago, PITTPETE said:

at this time, no

just visuals

I didn't expect it would have a change at first, but can terrain impact those things based on the tile?

Is there a cfg file on the server that allows each tile to have a different impact? Seems like there must be, because my ATG bounces more on some tiles than others.

Kilemall
1 hour ago, tater said:

I didn't expect it would have a change at first, but can terrain impact those things based on the tile?

Is there a cfg file on the server that allows each tile to have a different impact? Seems like there must be, because my ATG bounces more on some tiles than others.

I personally think there is, seems to be when driving the old Beddy it would practically shudder to death on what I think was farmland/rough ground.

warspite

The game certainly adds bump effects depending on the terrain but I cant remember if its hard coded or not.

gervleth

Looks awsome! Hey pitt, when can you build us a new building in the rural lanscape like the Farm house. maybe one or 2 new buildings a year would be great for the landscape! 

PITTPETE

Im an artist not a builder dammit....LOL

That would be Ripper or MKW

jwilly
Posted (edited)

On 5/13/2020 at 8:21 AM, warspite said:

The game certainly adds bump effects depending on the terrain but I cant remember if its hard coded or not.

Bump map. Directionally integrated sinusoidal texturing for movement of ground objects. Part of the base coding of the "standard" ground tiles.

Edited by jwilly

tater
15 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Bump map. Directionally integrated sinusoidal texturing for movement of ground objects. Part of the base coding of the "standard" ground tiles.

Does that impact walking speed, sprint drain, or vehicle speed?

jwilly
11 hours ago, tater said:

Does that impact walking speed, sprint drain, or vehicle speed?

Just vehicle vertical movement, as if the terrain has an exactly sinusoidal plowed terrain contour in a particular compass orientation. So, if you drive at 90 degrees to that compass orientation, you get the bumpiest ride ever. If OTOH you drive almost exactly in alignment with the bump map, all you get is slight waves.

The other code built into the basic tile concept is "drag factor". There are two types...wheeled vehicles, and tracked vehicles. "Drag factor" is a very simplified version of offroad mobility management.

• Like 1

tater
9 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Just vehicle vertical movement, as if the terrain has an exactly sinusoidal plowed terrain contour in a particular compass orientation. So, if you drive at 90 degrees to that compass orientation, you get the bumpiest ride ever. If OTOH you drive almost exactly in alignment with the bump map, all you get is slight waves.

The other code built into the basic tile concept is "drag factor". There are two types...wheeled vehicles, and tracked vehicles. "Drag factor" is a very simplified version of offroad mobility management.

So it would be possible to make some of the new tiles have a serious impact on wheeled vehicles, and almost none on tracks.

jwilly
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, tater said:

So it would be possible to make some of the new tiles have a serious impact on wheeled vehicles, and almost none on tracks.

Sure, but why? 

There's no rational basis for "wheeled" vs. "tracked" mobility effects. The realistic effect would be a singular one based on ground pressure, plus traction effects. So, a multiwheel all-wheel-drive vehicle with wide low-pressure tires, as might be used in a modern offroad design, could have excellent mobility. A narrow steel-tracked vehicle OTOH as might have been found early in WWII, with relatively high ground pressure, wouldn't be particularly good at off road mobility, except by comparison to a hard-tired road supply truck.  

Edited by jwilly

tater
1 hour ago, jwilly said:

Sure, but why? 

There's no rational basis for "wheeled" vs. "tracked" mobility effects. The realistic effect would be a singular one based on ground pressure.

Yeah there is. The terrain is an abstraction. The world is "mini" and we don;t have roads, etc. The 2 types of vehicles have different offroad capabilities (particularly given that the trucks are literally piled with troops like a train in India).

It is not just pressure. A track can cross a small flaw in the ground that would stop a 4WD entirely. If my Rover comes to a ditch the size of a wheel, I'm not going forward (we have loads of mini-arroyo like "canyons" a couple feet wide in places). A track I assume could cross that. What about vertical obstacles? What about thick brush?

The abstraction would be to slow trucks, that's really all I want to see. COuld you ride in the back of a truck going ww2ol truck speed across open ground? What % of the time if I picked open ground on the actual Earth at random?

It's only an issue, because trucks magically get to spawn huge forces. If trucks carried a single squad, not really a problem. I suppose the other option is that the FMS gets to spawn only as many men/guns as a single truck could haul (1 squad, 1 gun).

chry

Good job on the textures Pete !!

jwilly

I agree on the textures.  8^)

And, I don't disagree on the game's core mobiity technology, and wheeled drag factor vs. tracked drag factor vs. bump map orientation and magnitude, and how to handle halftracks and other narrow-track vehicles vs. high flotation AWD wheeled vehicles, etc., etc.

I'd just rather see a more engineering-sensible solution than the very simplified one that was implemented twenty years ago, in which 50 psi 2WD trucks have greater cross country mobility than either 9 psi tracks or 14 psi 6x6 trucks.

• Like 1

jwilly
Posted (edited)

Scotsman recently posted on this exact specific topic...in fact, in a thread of yours...so maybe something is happening behind the scenes.

...and previously he posted here:

Edited by jwilly