Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

issou2

New ammo type suggestion for AA guns

issou2

Hi, After playing several hours AA guns and making a few good shots, I was hoping to see some infos on the new releases concerning these weapons.

What do you guys think about timed fuses ?
For the 40mm bofors including SPAA and maybe some big boats it would be great to be able to choose between 2 HE rounds :
- 1 contact fuse that explodes on target ( as it is in game rn ),
- 1 time fuse that has to be set in distance or seconds, ajustable just like you ajust your enfield sight ( i have a preference for seconds cause it makes it a bit harder ) 

More than an historical trait, it could allow to adapt fire strategies depending on targets, make a fire barrage at fixed altitude...

I'd like to contact the developers for this but don't know how and this is good to have players reviews before. I know that this community is strong so i hope this message could fall into important ears in the best scenario. 

Let me know in the comments your feelings about it. 
Issou

Kilemall

We've brought this up before.  For Bofors to work right, they WOULD need to be timed.  In our case though I doubt they would put it in terms of seconds before burst, more like 'range to burst', which would include whatever calcs to get the fuses to go off at the desired distance.

Could be a major upgrade for ship AA defense too.

• Like 1

OLDZEKE

Been a long time wish list item.

Values are hard coded so not just a change a number kind of thing.

• Like 1

ZEBBEEE

didn't we have a .fuse command in the past that did this? would have to check

B2K
4 hours ago, ZEBBEEE said:

didn't we have a .fuse command in the past that did this? would have to check

no - for bombs there is a 'fuse' like timer on bombs to help prevent the 2m CAS bomb runs, and some ammo types may have a minor delay built in if it were present historically, but never anything player settable or adjustable. 

• Like 1

james10

The 40mm Bofors do not have timed fuses only contact fuses.

Generally only large caliber salvo firing centrally controlled AA Guns had timed (altitude) set able fuses. Guns like the German 88, 105 and 128 mm AA guns. The British 3.7 inch and the US 90mm also did. I am unaware what large caliber AA Gun the French used.

Cheers.

jwilly
10 hours ago, james10 said:

The 40mm Bofors do not have timed fuses only contact fuses.

Generally only large caliber salvo firing centrally controlled AA Guns had timed (altitude) set able fuses. Guns like the German 88, 105 and 128 mm AA guns. The British 3.7 inch and the US 90mm also did. I am unaware what large caliber AA Gun the French used.

Cheers.

Agreed.

No WWII AA-service gun of caliber 75mm or larger had a timed fuze capability. Anything smaller than that was contact fuzed only.

Through the mid and later war years, the British and USA working together developed "proximity fuzes", beginning with five inch caliber for AA fire. By 1944, a 120mm version of that fuze had been developed for use against ground targets, giving an effective just-overhead airburst capability with high lethality that was used during the Bulge. During 1945, the US developed a three inch / 75mm version of the AA proximity fuze, for use with the newly developed high-rate-of-fire naval three inch AA gun. By that point, US 90mm and 120mm guns regularly fired proximity fuzed rounds in Europe. The new three inch version was mostly used in the Pacific, against kamikazes.

No gun of caliber smaller than three inch had a fuze capability other than contact during WWII.

The Germans were actively working on radio/radar fuzing for 128mm shells up to the end of the war, but never got them working.

I am unaware what large caliber AA Gun the French used.

French AA guns were mostly 75mm...all of those had timed fuzes only, with contact backup...or 90mm, with the same capability. American 90mm guns were licensed copies of French 90s.

Edited by jwilly

pachy
On 19/05/2020 at 4:22 AM, jwilly said:

French AA guns were mostly 75mm...all of those had timed fuzes only, with contact backup...or 90mm, with the same capability. American 90mm guns were licensed copies of French 90s.

75mm mostly indeed, of various types. 90mm guns were quite rare, mostly guns in Navy service. Also a couple dozen British 94mm AA guns (QF 3.7"?) were acquired by the French army in 1939/1940. And there were a few WWI 105mm guns which used the same barrel as the 105mm mle 1913 artillery gun - they had poor performance for their calibre but were nevertheless upgraded in the 1930s I think.