Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

XOOM

How will you use HUD Waypoints?

XOOM

With the upcoming (end of this month) Heads Up Display "Waypoints" being shared across all missions sharing the same target, I'm curious as to how you will use them?

97054255_10157452152786275_1902003920318

• Like 1

halsey

I will be putting them on every ems that I see, nothing like a billboard to guide in the bombs

krazydog

I will turn them off  - (spoils in-game immersion for me).  

I prefer to use map waypoints.

PS  -  its going to be a lot of game-world clutter if everyone sharing same target (as opposed to sharing the same mission only) can see HUD waypoints) - contact marks are enough info to share across missions on same target I think.

Hopefully the Hud waypoints will help new players at least.  But there may be a negative side-effect too - new players will probably look at the map even less and they won’t see the map waypoints made by their mission leaders (like me).

Also there might be other confusion too:  I may tell people on my mission to cap “R1” -rteferring to my map waypoint, but people may be seeing a different HUD “R1” from another mission with same target and go to wrong location.

CRS should think hard about the best way to introduce these new HUD waypoints before they go live.  - Especially how map waypoints and HUD waypoints interact with each other.

I just pay to play the game.  So unless new gameplay changes are really well thought out in  advance, I personally am not really interested in being a “beta-tester”  for these HUD waypoints during  a live campaign.  

I hope the new HUD waypoints work out, but just please think it through well first - just trying to point out here some of the potential negative conflicts that can hapoen with these things if you guys rush in the implementation.

cheers!

Edited by krazydog
  • Like 2

nervousman

I would seriously advise you should have the choice between placing mission waypoints, only viewable on your mission, and target waypoints.

Currently if you create your own mission you can place whatever waypoints you want. When attacking a town if I want to I can place waypoints on CP's, AI (if attacking), waypoints on AB gates or turns in road to make ranging with ATG/tank quicker. Currently those waypoints are useful for me, enhance my usefulness and in my opinion usefulness of those on my mission.  If anyone who joins my mission seriously dislikes these waypoints on (currently) the map screen they can just go make their own mission or join someone else's.

However, those waypoints meant for just myself or people on my mission are now going to be seen by everyone on their main screen.

As a result if HUD waypoints are implemented as target only, and not the choice between mission or target only, then what we will either have is:
1) Mission leaders placing less waypoints so they don't interfere with people on other missions. This results in less use of the waypoint feature and decreased ability to manage specific missions.
2) There will be heated disagreements between minimalists and those that want to place many

Who has permission to delete waypoints? If multiple players are having arguments over waypoints, with one mission leader placing them and another mission leader deleting them are these arguments going to be left within players? Will HC or Game Moderators have to step in over player disagreements with waypoints? Who's side will they take? Will there be consistency in how these disagreements are settled?

Example:
You are attacking Wavre and there is a disagreement about marking waypoints on capture point buildings
Player 1: Wants blue waypoint with text saying "SPAWN"
Player 2: Wants blue waypoint with text saying "CAP"
Player 3: Wants blue waypoint with text saying "JODOIGNE"
Player 4: Wants blue waypoint with text saying "JODO"
Player 5: Wants red waypoint because the red symbol technically means attack and the blue waypoint technically means rally
Player 6: Wants no waypoints on any capture point buildings due to personal preference or it negatively effecting the effective use of their unit by cluttering up their screen e.g. waypoints for infantry inside a town are not going to be useful to a tank or anti tank gun 1.5km away which wants to keep it's peripheral vision. Likewise a different infantryman inside town might not like lots of waypoints as waypoints could block them seeing a enemy infantryman at the side of their screen.

With the current mission only waypoints all those different players can make their own missions and have the waypoints they desire without any conflict with wider players.

Solution:
All existing waypoints (blue, red and crosshairs) should remain mission specific while a new waypoint symbol be created for target only waypoints. The colour could be a light purple or light blue, perhaps with the text underlined or the waypoint symbol has a strong border to denote it is target specific. This means that only important waypoints are seen target wide e.g. an accurate mark on a EFMS. Meanwhile mission specific waypoints can continue and not negatively impact players on other missions.

Edited by nervousman
adding to solution

dropbear

Why not have an option to untick "Show waypoints" per mission/target.

redoak84

I'm going to mark everywhere I think Xoom's tank is.

gt3076r

I'm not sure how much sense this makes for this game. It seems to be another case of WWIIOL's confused identity. Is it hardcore we're going for, or is it not? These tags could be placed on enemy units essentially acting like a spotting mechanism similar to Arcade mode in War Thunder. It seems to be a good idea but the implementation is questionable.

Poker
On 13/05/2020 at 8:09 PM, halsey said:

I will be putting them on every ems that I see, nothing like a billboard to guide in the bombs

Yup, this is the thing that concerns me the most. Faster camping of field spawns is a fear of mine that can negatively and inadvertently impact the infantry game - how can we mitigate this impact?

tater

I won't use them at all. Once again, too much information. Will the inf models get AR add-ons to the helmets to show everyone with a HUD? Instead of the waypoints, can I get an aimpoint for CQB shots at "can't miss" range that I somehow usually miss?

N8

i will lead my soldiers to victory