Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

fidd

Frazer Nash FN5 gun-turrets

fidd

Hi all - I'm back after a very long period doing other things. The forums appear to have changed out of all recognition! I was hoping to post this in the "air" forum, or at least in "off-topic" but I can't see either, so here's what I've been up to:

I'm building a very large model Vickers Wellington 1c for radio-controlled flight, and have spent the last 5 years planning and building the front and rear turrets. You can find my youtube channel by searching you-tube for Fidd88, and many films documenting the design and build of the turrets, which feature working traverse, elevation (pneumatic), working collimating gunsights, and the fully operational mechanisms to keep the guns-sights parallel to the guns. The turrets are about the size of a soccer-ball, and are 1:4.5 scale. 

Latest film of near complete turrets

The other films worth watching are "moving turrets" and "MkIII gunsight", and maybe the one taken at Brooklands museum.

I can't see where to add attachments in this forum so am currently unable to post pictures... if someone could take a moment to explain how to add attachments of .jpegs to posts, I'd be grateful.

On an unrelated note, I saw an email indicating the Bren Carrier was in game - or is it merely scheduled to be?

jwilly

To include an image in a post, you need to upload the image-file to a site that "hosts" image files. Then you include in your post a link to the uploaded image-file. This actually hasn't changed since the beginning, so likely it will come back once you get re-started.

The Carrier is scheduled for an upcoming patch...either Soon, or sooner than that.

fidd
Posted (edited)

Cheers Jwilly,

I've uploaded nearly 300 pictures of these model turret builds to Flickr, although obviously, annotating them will take some time yet. My advice would be to view the later stuff first and then backtrack.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/188620249@N06/49934125446/in/dateposted-public/

You can comment here or on my you-tube channel, if it's interesting to  any of you.

Latest picture:

P1070766

Edited by fidd

MikeAZ

impressive. did they go on bombers?

blggles

I'm having visions of a paintball gunship. Looks very cool.

Silky

Frazer Nash Manufacturing is located about a mile from where I’m sat. My best mate works there. 

• Like 2

fidd
Posted (edited)

These FN5's were installed both front and rear in many RAF bomber's until circa 42, when most RAF bombers were up-gunned in the rear turrets to 4 guns rather than two. The new turrets were substantially different to the FN5, and were the FN4, later the FN20 and FN120. Front turrets in "Wellingtons" retained the FN5, "Lancasters" and several other aircraft retained FN5a's (a slightly modified version of the turret I've modelled) as the forward firepower of bombers was not deemed critical. Later in the war, some 4 gun .303 calibre Browning turrets were changed to 2 gun .50 calibres, but these were often problematic due to excessive vibration when firing, so were not widely adopted.

I'm building, in metal, a Vickers Wellington, for which these turrets are destined. The turrets are designed to hold FPV cameras, giving a real-time view, with the front turret camera being a wide-angle view on a powered gimbal. The rear-turret camera view will be linked to the gun-sight, enabling the user to try and get a following model in his cross-hairs! The model is - or rather will be - huge, with a 19 foot wing-span, and around 15 feet long. The fuselage, at the deepest point is nearly two feet deep including the bomb-bay.

Edited by fidd

base21

Wow this is some extraordinary work I say! Looks very interesting. CRS is having the Wellington in their roadmap so the allies finally get a medium bomber.

fidd

It'll be amazing to have the "Wimpy" in game. I presume the Axis will get Ju88's? That said, It'd be really interesting to have aircraft such as the Defiant and Hampden in tier 0, before moving towards the Stirling and Lancaster/Halifax/B17 later on. The B25 would be a good earlyish tier aircraft for the US to use, with more tactical load-outs than the Wellington, but less overall load for RDP bashing.

Thanks for the kind words.

jwilly
7 minutes ago, fidd said:

It'll be amazing to have the "Wimpy" in game. I presume the Axis will get Ju88's?

Wellington, He111 is the medium bomber set. No doubt an American element on the way. Maybe someday there'll be a French element as well.

A20/DB7/Boston, Ju88 is the fast bomber set. 

texasjay
Posted (edited)

Wow , impress work , actually it pretty neat looking

Edited by texasjay

fidd

On reflection, I think the Do217 would be a better fit for the A20/DB7 triad. The ju88 is closer to the Mosquito/B25 in terms of bombload I'd have thought... Cheers TexasJ.

Today I painted 100+ scale "penny-washers" brass coloured for retro-fitting the inside of the turret cupolas in the next day or two. Also a lot of filling/sanding and painting of the "tub" for the front-turret. So near the end now. It'll be great to be able to make a start in the metal-work of the fuselage.

greyman

Very nice.

If bmbm needs further geometry for the two FN5 positions in our upcoming Wimpy hopefully you've got a resource or two!

madrebel
4 hours ago, fidd said:

On reflection, I think the Do217 would be a better fit for the A20/DB7 triad. The ju88 is closer to the Mosquito/B25 in terms of bombload I'd have thought

max internal load was 1400KG. Fairly sure it will be modeled with 4 x 250KG for a 1000KG bombload making it fairly identical to the A20s. Do217 was ~2500KG internally slightly more than the HE-111 with up to 4000KG on hardpoints.

fidd
10 hours ago, greyman said:

Very nice.

If bmbm needs further geometry for the two FN5 positions in our upcoming Wimpy hopefully you've got a resource or two!

There are some errors on mine, which were either caught to late in the assembly to be viable to repair, or were simply too expensive to redo. Also, as no proper technical drawings exist of this (or indeed most turrets), it is necessarily an approximation, rather than an absolutely faithful copy. I'd be happy to help though, in principle. I also have .obj drawings of the FN4 (early 4 gun tail turret for Wellington Mk II (?) onwards) and the unlamented FN25 (mid-under) turret, only for early Wellingtons (Mk's IA and IC and only), Stirlings etc.

fidd
Posted (edited)

..I've also added some more recent pictures of the two turrets with the now glaxed turret cupolas on. Today I'm reworking hundreds of fixings which hold the window panels in by adding 3d printed scale "penny-washers" to these, which will improve the detail when filming outwards from within the turrets; and also working on painting and fitting the front-turret "tub".

The new pictures can be found at https://www.flickr.com/photos/188620249@N06/ (sorted by date taken)

Note the addition of miniature "working" rotary ventilators. These were used to vent poisonous cordite fumes after firing.

Edited by fidd

greyman
18 hours ago, madrebel said:

max internal load was 1400KG. Fairly sure it will be modeled with 4 x 250KG for a 1000KG bombload making it fairly identical to the A20s. Do217 was ~2500KG internally slightly more than the HE-111 with up to 4000KG on hardpoints.

Yeah it gets even trickier considering the Ju 88 with x 250kg is a lot closer performance-wise to the Wellington/He 111 than the DB7 (especially since the DB7 is already a bit too fast in my opinion).

Though I can't remember if the whole 'external ordnance drag' issue is a thing in this engine. Might be a moot point.

madrebel

Max external would be 3000kg and require rocket assistance on takeoff. 1000kg internal though and it’s decently fast. 

fidd

..and back to turrets! Today I fitted over 300+ assorted M1.0 nuts, machine-screws and "penny washers" (at scale) to the cupolas of both turrets, which completes those. (and left me with very sore fingers!

Still to do is painting the mount for the cine-cameras in both turrets, with the new design of this mounting now correctly levelled when installed. I've also primed and sanded, then painted white (external) and British Interior Green (inside) of the front-turret tub. Still to do on that is another coat or two of the white, and then some general weathering, followed by fitting, probably on Monday, which will mean, after 5 years effort, the turret are now completed!

The next task is to source some machined fittings for the joints of the geodetic channel, and some extruded channel, to make some uncurved test-pieces. Then comes devising and building the "bender" to curve extruded channel to specific curvatures in an MDF pattern, followed by a test-piece of curved geodetic structure. If that all works, then building the fuselage can commence!

Pics/Films to follow in due course

fidd

I've just finished both turrets after 5 years effort. A new film with all new stills and footage, often from within the turrets, showing the sorts of views I'll be able to take footage from in the air, one day.