Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

fidd

Old ideas - signage, craters and "crack..thump"

fidd
Posted (edited)

As I seem - for as yet mysterious reasons - to be unable to initiate posts in the game ideas forum - I know not why. Ill post 3 old ideas I'd love to see:

1. Nation specific signage. Enter Belgium?: - all road-signs in period correct Belgian form, with custom's post between FB and 1st Belgian town across the border. All shop signs for "Butcher", "Post Office", "Bakery", "Café" all rendered in Belgian language(s) as appliquée  textures superimposed on various buildings in towns. See same bakers's building in France, it reads "Boulangerie", or whatever the Hun is for Baker in Germany. Consider some of these signs to drop at one end askew when building is in destroyed state. Pure eye-candy, but it gives a nice filip when your unit crosses into the next country....? One or two nation-specific buildings or items would be nice, eg red telephone boxes in UK, French "Tabac" signs, pissoirs, German lederhosen Emporia or whatever etc. Nice "atmosphere" stuff.

2. Semi-persistent craters caused by bombing on AF "Squares" excepting small areas around spawn-points, so airfields may be suppressed by advance bombing, however pilot-skill may allow aircraft to take-off and land. Suggest craters be marked by visible earth ridge and red-flag in centre, repairable by sappers or eventual degradation as per PPO's.

3. Rifle calibre rounds make a "crack" followed by a "thump" not the "peeeeeeeooooooow" sort of sound. The interval between the two determines range, and the relative volume difference also helps with range estimation. A .303 (or similar) round however makes a VERY loud crack as it passes. Spend 3 minutes at the butts end of a range when similar weapons are fired and you will be in a hurry to do something about our sound effects for rifle calibre fire, especially as regards inbound fire.

Edited by fidd

Kilemall

Hmm, bombs create crater PPOs on AFs?

fidd

....created by server tracked bomb, but repairable via the passage of time, or via sappers. A PRO (Player removable object) if you will.

I'm gutted you take 5 months to reply, and then overlook the Lederhosen Emporia. 

Kilemall
2 hours ago, fidd said:

....created by server tracked bomb, but repairable via the passage of time, or via sappers. A PRO (Player removable object) if you will.

I'm gutted you take 5 months to reply, and then overlook the Lederhosen Emporia. 

When I get bored I hit the next unread topic, and sometimes it takes me back quite a ways.

blakeh

for bomb craters- it is my understanding the game is not capable of below ground features .  That is why foxholes and trenches are above ground.

language signs- would be a nice touch but it is only cosmetic.

bullet sounds- i suspect that is beyond what this game can do.   The programming change would likely have a negative impact on game performance.  

fidd

I'm not suggesting a "below ground crater" so much as a "circular berm" if you will, the lip of the crater, with a collider to make landing and take-off more problematic. This would enable an airfield to be partially suppressed and partially attrited - due accidents - for as long as the bombed side wait before getting a truck and engineers out to "fix" the craters. Unless level-bombed from altitude, bombing an AF thus will be tricky, owing to the amount of AAA, so may require cooperation  from ground units to first take-out the AAA positions.

warspite
On 9/23/2020 at 12:34 PM, blakeh said:

Bullet sounds- i suspect that is beyond what this game can do.   The programming change would likely have a negative impact on game performance.  

The game is actually already doing the calculation and playing a wizz sound when a round passes close by, it's not the most realistic sound IMO though, for years I thought it was a sound glitch. 

fidd

That was rather my point. Incoming rounds do not whirr, neither do they buzz nor whine nor wizz. There's a very loud crack as they pass, followed by a "thump", the seperation of the two sounds being proportional to range.  If there's an impact sound, it's usually the 1st sound heard, A good film with sounds of incoming rifle-calibre at: