Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
warcraze

need help on video card

9 posts in this topic

I am going to buy a new video card and have narrowed it down to 2 would like some advice on which one performs better with this game

ati x700 agp

nvidia 6600 oc agp

my cp is

athlon 3000+

1 gig ram

audigy 2 zs

with my current ati 9200 card i get from 8-40 fps depending where i am 99% 8-15 fps

just bought a new house and unfortunatly thes are the only two in my price range at this time about 200$

any help will be much appreciated ty

I bought a Leadtek 6600GT TD AGP and it worked great. Put it on wife's new xp3000 and put a Leadtek 7800GT TD PCI-E x16 on mine. Make sure you have a power supply that is 400+ watts. Newegg runs sales on Aspire 520 Watt supplies every week.

As far as the 6600GT, its a power hungry video card. You need lots of power. A good percentage -- ALMOST HALF --of the problems with this card are solved by addressing some aspect of the power issue, (including improperly seated cards or Molex cables). A lot of people are upgrading when buying this card, and many will need to upgrade their Power Supply Unit as well. You cannot run this card on a 350 or even many 400 watt PSUs. It will die in anything 3D-- Games, demos, etc..

It does NOT matter what the manufacturer says on the box for the minimum spec. I've been using PCs since 1984. You should never trust minimum requirement lists. Manufacturers lie to make sales. Many manufacturers over-rate their power supplies, and they list specs on the PSU with ideal conditions and no other periphials attached - to get their highest rating. So be careful, you are getting less real world power than what is advertised. Note: if you are going to buy a new one, don't skimp the few dollars, go 500W.

What should you get? The amperage rating on the + 12 volt rail is what you have to check. It is on a sticker on the PSU itself. Based on the experiences of many users on this, >>17 Amps is the minimum<< - tightrope walking limit - for this card. It will work with that, but it all depends on how many other periphials you have drawing power ( hard drives, optical drives, etc.) I upgraded my power supply to an Nspire 450 Watt (true watts), with an input and output fan. Amperage is the key, compare yours to these stats, this is a good one. Ratings: 28 amps on the +3.3 rail, 40 on the +5, and 20 on the +12 -- this is the important one. Some card manufacturers are putting a 450 W requirement on their boxes now. This is wise. Tomshardware.com (an awesome site for comparing hardware, if it stinks, they say so) evaluates at least 21 of them.

P4 3.2

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Mobo (1024 Beta)

2 x 512 Corsair PC3200

420 PSU

Maxtor 120gig 7200 8M

eVga e-GeForce 6600GT

Sound Blaster Audigy II ZS

XP Pro SP2

^^^ right about the psu.

I upgraded to a Enermax 600w sli. Now thats overkill but a psu is just about the only thing you can transfer from your old rig to the new one.

17A on the 12V rail and as many watts as you can handle.

dont forget about cable management when you get it in.

I've got an 256 meg agp X700, that runs this game just fine. I get 20 to 60 fps at 1024x768 x 2x FSSA, V sync enabled. Most eye candy on. I'm replacing my reletively weak cpu, celeron 2.4@3.0 tomorrow with a 3.0 P 4 that I will try to overclock to 3.8 or so.

You probably wont have to upgrade your power supply either, I'm using an Intel approved Generic 300 watt supply. Important if you're on a budget. Make sure you get one with the fastest memory available, as it will vary quite a bit from different vendors. Mine is a Gigabyte X700agp with 500Mhz DDR [250x2]. Fortunately it overclocks to 650[325x2]. It was the fastest I could find here in the Great White North, but I've seen higher clocked ones on the web.

Slaterat

Warcraze im selling my old AGP BFGtech 6600GT OC with aluminum cooling if your interested, i went to a 6800GS which is antoher good choice. It got me around 40-50 FPS in hot areas at medium settings, also selling a AMD 3000+ 2.0GHz socet 754 processor as well.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0