Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

ZEBBEEE

TOP 10 towns that need architectural re-work?

DOC

It's a function of "ownership" ... in the terrain code hierarchy you place a marker where the town is going to go. That's usually (but not always) the obelisk object. Whatever supercell that is in ALL structures that are part of THAT town must remain inside the supercell boundaries of that cell the town is defined as occupying by the location of it's marker. Then you add the next tier of the towns structure, the city marker. This can be a number of art objects, but is usually the rampant golden sheep statue. Under that you add all the "city" structures, the capture building, the general buildings, the capture object .... etc.. The same process is applied to the Depots. Usually they are marked by a plaque or sign. They can include more than 1 building as can any of these subgroups. AB's are subject to the same rules, the marker in this instance was always the little muzzle loading cannon object (inert) or the AB wall itself in the case of walled AB's.

FB's are not part of a towns hierarchy but are a sort of  "town" in itself, as far as the code is concerned. So they can be in a different supercell than the town they are associated with, because they exist as their own terrain entity, like a town does. The supercell boundary rule applies to all the structures that belong to and comprise the FB.

• Like 1

blakeh

I don't think any one town needs a makeover over any other.   I think you should just start with the towns that seem to be fought over most and work from there.

Leuven, Schilde, Ciney, Sedan, Givet, Dinant, Lier to start.   They offer the best return on investment.

• Like 1

TR6AL

Thanks @DOC, That helps me understand a bit more .  

TR6AL
3 hours ago, blakeh said:

I don't think any one town needs a makeover over any other.   I think you should just start with the towns that seem to be fought over most and work from there.

Leuven, Schilde, Ciney, Sedan, Givet, Dinant, Lier to start.   They offer the best return on investment.

Thanks for reply Blakeh . I have been spending most of my time with actual terrain such as trees and improving area around the Zee's as well as river tiles.  Also though ,I have been upgrading some towns such as Schilde, Grob, Aarschot and Maldegem for now and will move on to others as I decide which ones.

Still learning the ropes and re-doing towns takes not so much time but getting  a feel for the town and what I should do to it. I have also been playing with things like fencing and bushes (next update) .  

• Like 1

delems

Keep up the great work on terrain, is really needed.

And if easy, remove those CPs out of ABs, they do nothing to help game combat/action imo.

There are so many towns that need CP adjustments imo, to make battles better.

• Like 1

TR6AL
7 hours ago, delems said:

Keep up the great work on terrain, is really needed.

And if easy, remove those CPs out of ABs, they do nothing to help game combat/action imo.

There are so many towns that need CP adjustments imo, to make battles better.

Thanks Delems ..

I have started removing cp's out of Ab's but a few at a time .

My goal is to make battles better but don't want to rush in and change everything until I know something will work .

Baby steps.

• Like 1

jwrona

weird topic... Rotterdam/Den Haag are very cool in terms of town layout: buildings right on streets, fun CPs with diff buildings around them (aircraft plant, market, etc)... would we be able to do a similar design using those kind of elements in the big towns we fight in (I'm picturing a castle at "Belgium Consulate" in Bruss, maybe some new CPs/layouts in Liege, the AB has more barracks/embellishment). I know its not a simple "plug n play", but we could make a different kind of fight rather than passing the same 5 blocks of buildings over and over just rotated around, with CPs kinda being the same.

Assuming rotterdam design came AFTER bruss/twerp redo, so the elements got cooler.

TR6AL
6 minutes ago, jwrona said:

weird topic... Rotterdam/Den Haag are very cool in terms of town layout: buildings right on streets, fun CPs with diff buildings around them (aircraft plant, market, etc)... would we be able to do a similar design using those kind of elements in the big towns we fight in (I'm picturing a castle at "Belgium Consulate" in Bruss, maybe some new CPs/layouts in Liege, the AB has more barracks/embellishment). I know its not a simple "plug n play", but we could make a different kind of fight rather than passing the same 5 blocks of buildings over and over just rotated around, with CPs kinda being the same.

Assuming rotterdam design came AFTER bruss/twerp redo, so the elements got cooler.

Im not sure on timing of Rotterdam compared to Brussels/Ant breakup but creating a new town allows a certain amount of artistic freedom compared to redoing an existing town . Different approaches. Also different amount of time involved . 

Some of the buildings I can move to close up the roads ..I have been trying to do that in new town builds as I really don't like the empty space between buildings on roads . I will try modifying a couple buildings in Brussels/Ant to close gaps and see how that plays out .

• Like 1

tater

Really appreciate the work on the terrain, it's critical and has the possibility to considerably alter gameplay for the better. I think in general, the game needs less porosity in towns in some ways. The problem is we simply don't have enough players to occupy things in a way that creates any sense of who owns what, and as a result it's not Stalingrad, where one side literally occupies one building, and the other occupies the next one over, everyone is mixed, everywhere. I realize that there is not much to do about this short of making some dead ends with unenterable buildings.

Regardless, making it look more real will help.

I have a thread about the AB, have you seen it, @TR6AL?

It might be possible to do someplace in an altered way—and NOT for the AB, but just as a city block. My AB suggestion requires new versions of existing, enterable buildings that are barricaded on the outside sides. For a regular city in Europe, it seems like apartments are often built around a courtyard garden.

Prague.JPG

Maybe this might be more common in redone cities?

TR6AL

Actually @taterI saw it but did not want to put any form of negative spin on the discussion.  

Good discussion and I will try to create at least one AB that looks as close to that as I can in a new town. 

Limiting factors being limited number and style of buildings and towns already built are restricted in changes due to layout and amount of work to completely rebuild if needed.  

I don't do any work on the actual buildings , that takes an artist , but I can place what I have where I want .

Good ideas and don't stop ..

tater
17 minutes ago, TR6AL said:

I don't do any work on the actual buildings , that takes an artist , but I can place what I have where I want .

Yeah, that was my understanding, hence not bugging you on the AB thread, it requires new buildings, or PPOs allowed to block them, perhaps.

@Scotsman might be the person for that, we've discussed it WRT bunkers. I'll add something in that thread that just occurred to me.

It might be cool if someone with the info/files could make a thread with every building in it to scale (with a scale bar, ideally) to give the rest of us a better understanding of what particular blocks you have to build all this with. Even plan view, with marks for enterable doors (so we know how to rotate them).

It occurs to me that the one building I rarely see in the urban areas is that large... hotel? Office? The one with the top floor you can go inside? Seems like those would be more common in cities than the small towns where we see them. Might be something to add (does it have a damaged state at all?).

One though for cities that have those insanely wide streets, many of which then have bushes in them (for reasons).

Brussels before the war:

rogiersplaats.jpg

Cool pic Brussels 1930s:

Bruxelles+Misonne+(1+sur+8)-1.jpg

In general, the sidewalks are absurdly small in game (nothing you can do), and there might be some tree lined avenues?

Building block __ tree line  ___street___ tree line___Building

mev-10948749.webp

TR6AL

Ill see what I can come up with . Ill look for the building with acessable top floor .

blakeh

Maybe some evidence of human occupation might add a bit to the game.   Parked cars, abandoned street cars, a few trucks.    Also a few more farmhouses and associated buildings in the countryside.  

tater
Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, blakeh said:

Maybe some evidence of human occupation might add a bit to the game.   Parked cars, abandoned street cars, a few trucks.    Also a few more farmhouses and associated buildings in the countryside. 

Good idea, but that requires having the actual object already there for @TR6AL to use. His work is really moving existing objects, not creating new ones.

In some thread about terrain improvements I suggested street cars, trucks, etc. They'd provide useful cover for inf, particularly in the cities with the huge open plains that pass for streets.

Edited by tater

TR6AL
21 minutes ago, blakeh said:

Would love to have these to use but as @taterstated , they are not in game and we can't afford artist time to create them . I can do a little bit but not enough to actually make them from scratch.  We don't have actual farmhouses or barns . There are a few destroyed vehicles I can try to get in game but those have a limited use.  I would like to have bicycles , and rowboats and just random cars but ............ 

N8

I have a few towns in mind, that probably need architectural rework:

• Genk, maybe move that SCP up a little bit? Just before the forest?
  • Roermond West, maybe adding a navy dock there? To whenever Roermond/Roermond West fights happen, you can spawn FMBs out of Roermond West
  • Rips, I personally think Rips shouldn't be a 2AB town
  • Helmond, maybe moving the farmhouse bunker closer to the city?
  • Waalwijk, too spread out, looks like
  • Etain, maybe move a CP from the actual Etain town to the airfield?

Those are just my personal opinions, I'll look around for more, and add them to here, but so far that is just my list at the moment.

TR6AL

Thanks N8.. I'll look at them .

blakeh
2 hours ago, TR6AL said:

Would love to have these to use but as @taterstated , they are not in game and we can't afford artist time to create them . I can do a little bit but not enough to actually make them from scratch.  We don't have actual farmhouses or barns . There are a few destroyed vehicles I can try to get in game but those have a limited use.  I would like to have bicycles , and rowboats and just random cars but ............ 

ah- understood-- will think of things that are pre-existing.

tater
50 minutes ago, blakeh said:

ah- understood-- will think of things that are pre-existing.

None the less, a great idea, the towns and cities have always seemed "dead."

TR6AL
2 hours ago, tater said:

None the less, a great idea, the towns and cities have always seemed "dead."

I agree completely ! 

delems

Without any question, imo, is swap Antwerp S Central CP with Antwerp C CITY CP.    That is most important terrain change on map.

tater

Came across this this morning, and since it's an actual picture of Stavelot...

EkZhoFIX0AIK5n4?format=jpg

(the arguing about the King Tiger can start early, with one in a ww2ol town, but tempered by an M10 taking it out, lol.)

jwilly

I wonder what was made in that factory.

Maybe CRS...as a step toward a more fully modeled economy in the several involved countries...could sort out where various militarily essential goods and services actually were made/done, and make the game-factories specific to those goods and services.

That of course might involve moving some factories around, and adding more factory buildings to a number of towns that are currently modeled as a few buildings at a crossroads.

tater

This is a great resource with loads of shots of towns actually in ww2ol. Many are in winter, though. Many air recon shows, too, showing the towns. Honestly, with some improvements ww2ol doesn't do a bad job at some.

https://history.army.mil/books/wwii/7-8/7-8_Cont.htm#toc

Dinant bridge:

562.jpg

Manhay:

584.jpg

fidd

I'd really like CRS's art dept to take a very long hard look at the building in the shot of Dinant Bridge. It is very typical of French architecture from 1860-1900 or so. I think for immersion purposes we really really need to have nation-specific architecture for buildings with the same foot-print, but completely different appearance and possibly vertical height, so that buildings in France resemble architecture from circa 1860-1939, likewise in Germany (but different) likewise Holland, with Belgium being a mixture of both French and Dutch styles. 

Architecture, and the differences between being in one European country to another, is really striking. It is not remotely like the US where travelling 300 miles makes little or no difference to the architecture styles seen, and graphically speaking, this is the poorest element of the current game, notwithstanding the bloody-awful v1.26 colliderless hedges, which of course (IMHO) is by a country-mile the worst decision CRS1 ever made. Bar none!