Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

XOOM

1.36.6.0 - Review Request

Scotsman
4 minutes ago, chzacc said:

so how come they explode in mid air without hitting anything ?

Self destruct is different from contact fusing on the target...lots of ammo has self destruct if it doesn’t impact a target

griffon
6 hours ago, chzacc said:

I may have watched a different video there, I didnt actually see much of his ammo hit the plane, must be my eyes getting old

Funny enough bro thats half my point. Where is my ammo going? How come the trajectory physics and velcoity is so much different on the German 13mm as opposed to the allied 12.5mm .50 cal? Should it not be a slightly more destructive round with similar firing characteristics? Asking for a friend. 

Edited by griffon
Removed sarcastic comment

griffon
1 hour ago, Scotsman said:

Self destruct is different from contact fusing on the target...lots of ammo has self destruct if it doesn’t impact a target

ah but the german was contact fused allied hispano was time delayed thank you. 

Edited by griffon

Scotsman
50 minutes ago, griffon said:

ah but the german was contact fused allied hispano was time delayed thank you. 

I’m talking game data...there is a self destruct line in the ammo files

griffon
18 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

I’m talking game data...there is a self destruct line in the ammo files

Yeah 20 years of the wrong german ammo lol 

Scotsman
32 minutes ago, griffon said:

Yeah 20 years of the wrong german ammo lol 

-Every- ammo file for the most part has either self destruct turned on or a time out to prevent the client from making unneeded calculations. You are confusing game functionality with the the specific fuse for each round. It has nothing to do with the AZ fuse. 

Edited by Scotsman

greyman

You've got it backwards, griffon. British and US Hispano rounds did not have self-destruct.

German rounds--for the most part--did.

See the hangar thread 'FW190 cannons' for more information.

I don't have a great deal of information on French Hispano ammunition, but at first glance it appears that the only self-destroying round was the HE/T.

Scotsman
31 minutes ago, greyman said:

You've got it backwards, griffon. British and US Hispano rounds did not have self-destruct.

German rounds--for the most part--did.

See the hangar thread 'FW190 cannons' for more information.

I don't have a great deal of information on French Hispano ammunition, but at first glance it appears that the only self-destroying round was the HE/T.

As I said regardless of the fuse specific real world self destruct options, we use the ability of the client to time out rounds to prevent un-neccesary calculation. It improves FPS and prevents unnecessary tracking of rounds beyond their useful range. I have the specifics of every German or Allied fuse ever made, And in the case of the German 20mm, have the real ammunition and fuses in my collection, but the game timeout function is there to improve performance and gameplay. 

griffon
10 hours ago, Scotsman said:

As I said regardless of the fuse specific real world self destruct options, we use the ability of the client to time out rounds to prevent un-neccesary calculation. It improves FPS and prevents unnecessary tracking of rounds beyond their useful range. I have the specifics of every German or Allied fuse ever made, And in the case of the German 20mm, have the real ammunition and fuses in my collection, but the game timeout function is there to improve performance and gameplay. 

Well there you have it folks. The reason the allied can lazer us with 4 to 6 .50 cals at 2 miles range and were limited to what 350 400 meters? Is to improve gameplay performance and experience. 

Scotsman
Just now, griffon said:

Well there you have it folks. The reason the allied can lazer us with 4 to 6 .50 cals at 2 miles range and were limited to what 350 400 meters? Is to improve gameplay performance and experience. 

That is NOT the timeout...you’re being downright silly. The cutoff is in kilometers

griffon
4 hours ago, Scotsman said:

That is NOT the timeout...you’re being downright silly. The cutoff is in kilometers

I'll make another film shortly... 

fidd

The Hurricane fuselage is predominantly a tubular steel structure, so there's a great deal of fresh-air being presented to incoming cannon rounds, which do not detonate or do any damage if they just pass through doped fabric and light wooden strips. In this respect it's similar to the Wellington. LW pilots soon learned to target the engines, and on early marques, port wing fuel-tank, which was unarmoured and not self-sealing. Later Wellingtons had both self-sealing tanks and armour on the rear face of the wing-tanks. as well as two armoured plates on the port-side of the fuselage protecting the pilot and radio-operator. Unless these specific areas were targeted, it was quite difficult. especially at night, to bring a Wellington down. In daylight, the LW attacked them from directly on the beam, where it had no protection. (until tjhe Mk III)

Stressed-skin aircraft, such as the Me109/Spitfire/Fw190 - indeed most of our aircraft - an entirely different proposition. as cannon-rounds would nearly always detonate on striking their metal skin.

Edited by fidd

Scotsman
41 minutes ago, fidd said:

The Hurricane fuselage is predominantly a tubular steel structure, so there's a great deal of fresh-air being presented to incoming cannon rounds, which do not detonate or do any damage if they just pass through doped fabric and light wooden strips. In this respect it's similar to the Wellington. LW pilots soon learned to target the engines, and on early marques, port wing fuel-tank, which was unarmoured and not self-sealing. Later Wellingtons had both self-sealing tanks and armour on the rear face of the wing-tanks. as well as two armoured plates on the port-side of the fuselage protecting the pilot and radio-operator. Unless these specific areas were targeted, it was quite difficult. especially at night, to bring a Wellington down. In daylight, the LW attacked them from directly on the beam, where it had no protection. (until tjhe Mk III)

Stressed-skin aircraft, such as the Me109/Spitfire/Fw190 - indeed most of our aircraft - an entirely different proposition. as cannon-rounds would nearly always detonate on striking their metal skin.

Exactly...especially the early mark I....the hurricane was unique in that wings were available that were both metal covered or fabric. One hurricane was documented with flying with one of each. 

griffon
19 hours ago, Scotsman said:

Oh I'm sorry wrote that on my phone it should have been a four digit number youre right three digits is a silly extrageration. So 1300 to 1400 ah didn't auto change that time. Maybe 2000 meters at most. So whats the range on their 50s and what was the response on why our 13mms fire so much differently and seem to have a limited range compared to the 12.5mms? 

Edited by griffon

Scotsman
2 hours ago, griffon said:

Oh I'm sorry wrote that on my phone it should have been a four digit number youre right three digits is a silly extrageration. So 1300 to 1400 ah didn't auto change that time. Maybe 2000 meters at most. So whats the range on their 50s and what was the response on why our 13mms fire so much differently and seem to have a limited range compared to the 12.5mms? 

I’d have to check the files but the internal client timeout range is the same for all nations and weapons. I’d have to check any self destruct range if the ammo fired is high explosive. 

griffon

Sorry about the miscommuncation there I am all about data and facts and I am not into fantasy armour or rounds. I know I do not always present myself well but I do try to avoid speaking in extreme hyperbole.

Greyman I will take a look, thank you. However, I always remembered it as RAF scarmbles to train pilots and get em in seats if you don't hit it explodes after this many seconds and maybe still affects the enemy. While the LW was in battle since the Spanish Civil war and had some snipers for pilots and lots of expierence. I also remember the Firepower and Range of the 2 20mm's over the 8 .303s being an early war issue.   

Scotsman
11 minutes ago, griffon said:

Sorry about the miscommuncation there I am all about data and facts and I am not into fantasy armour or rounds. I know I do not always present myself well but I do try to avoid speaking in extreme hyperbole.

Greyman I will take a look, thank you. However, I always remembered it as RAF scarmbles to train pilots and get em in seats if you don't hit it explodes after this many seconds and maybe still affects the enemy. While the LW was in battle since the Spanish Civil war and had some snipers for pilots and lots of expierence. I also remember the Firepower and Range of the 2 20mm's over the 8 .303s being an early war issue.   

Perfectly ok..I’m glad you’re passionate about the game. It’s the kind of players we need. I’ll be happy to try and answer anything I can as time permits...

The RAF itself was debating armament and at the time of the Battle a of Britain thought that the MGs offset  any potential lowering of hit probability for new pilots. Given their pilot losses at the time they thought that to be the greater consideration.

we have the luxury of hindsight....those that actually were fighting then did not...

griffon
49 minutes ago, Scotsman said:

Perfectly ok..I’m glad you’re passionate about the game. It’s the kind of players we need. I’ll be happy to try and answer anything I can as time permits...

The RAF itself was debating armament and at the time of the Battle a of Britain thought that the MGs offset  any potential lowering of hit probability for new pilots. Given their pilot losses at the time they thought that to be the greater consideration.

we have the luxury of hindsight....those that actually were fighting then did not...

I appreciate the time you take for all posts it would seem. I understand its a group of volunteers and time is limited and everything is process. Most of us know passion can be a good and bad thing. If I had skills that could be of use of use I would offer them. 

I still believe the glory days are possible once again and I believe with constructive conversation we can all work to make the game better. I'm not afraid to be shown that I wrong, it will happen eventually if it has not already!

griffon

• Like 1

griffon

griffon

Just wanted to come say that I believe it was in this thread I made mention of the 109 size based off videos I was watching at the time, now that I have been flying allied I am very pleased to  say that the 109 is a smaller targert like it should be and just wanted to take the time to come say that I was wrong with my comment. I am aware that sometimes I may something or in those cases attempt to ask questions perhaps too early in my information gathering stages however.. I would rather do so than not start the conversation at all...

@scotsman, I figured you'd want to hear me say this... I am a big believer in build it as it is but I also recogonize its a game still too, idk how else to say this other than I know I'm not always right and I'm okay with being told that, there is nothing wrong, I am genuinely trying to help!

Scotsman

No worries mate..you care. That’s what matters. If you didn’t you wouldn’t try as hard as you do...

griffon

well yes this is very very true and I would like to thank you once again for your commmunity involvement... I still felt it was important to state where I was wrong and How so. I mean i Can guess as to how it happened.. editing in video i was watching, staying up too long/ doing a bunch of editing myself and running on fumes all that was great it was still important to me to state where I was clearly wrong! 

That all Said I have finally learned how to produce quality vidoes and I hope to use that to help you maket the game better/... I can make the film avilaible to you for promotional uses or even build/make film for events,.. ( i would just need a heads up on waht kind of film you wanted). Its a lot of work and  I am trying to stay daily on Youtube..but I won't lie its a lot of work too lol!

Scotsman

I would pm Xoom with your offer...we can use all the help we can get. There aren’t that many of us...