Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

fidd

No "marks" visible to aircraft, except....

fidd

I was thinking about ww2 air-support the other day, and I think the game could be improved by a Air/Ground liason infantry character. Basically a chap with binoculars who can see all the usual marks around the town or FB from ground units.

There are two ways his presence could  be handled, Either the mere fact that he's spawned could enable aircraft with the same target town to see all the army marked enemy positions. (not my favourite mechanism)

Or

He manually marks what needs bombing/strafing and that's seen by the pilots.

If he dies = end of close air-support with marks, (I'd entertain the nottion of two or three being in each Bde TOE, but not garrisons)  Either way, I think it would be a good thing, if in general, pilots don't see the extensive army marked items on their maps. It's a bit too 21st century if you follow me...

A variations of this could be used for "off-board" artillery. However, with the wrinkle that the AO needs to be "mature" - perhaps half an hour or more after the AO is applied - before either defensive or attacking artillery barrages can be employed. An "FO" along the same lines as the Air liason chap would be required alive to place the aim-point, and adjust fire. Secondly, it would not be possible to target AB's for obvious reasons. Off-board fire via the FO could be either 25pdr/105mm/88mm artillery, or medium/heavy mortars with HE or Smoke, the latter along a defined line.

Edited by fidd

Tkilroy

I like this idea.

Kidd27

There has been mention of an "observer/scout" type unit. Adding one to do a job that is already being done by another method, seems like jumping the gun.

Maybe  when a link with arty/spotter/observer/scout will give him enough to do, if it ever comes about.

tater

There should be zero map or icons between services. We all have too much information.