Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Sign in to follow this  
frogdeth

Whatever happened to the AI gunners plan?

frogdeth

I know it was over a decade ago, but at one time I distinctly remember that CRS had a plan on the drawing board to make it so that unmanned (i.e. not directly player controlled) gun positions on certain units (i.e. planes and ships) would be handed over to AI, or at least then player would have an option to do so, so that said units weren't so helpless.

By this I mean if you are in a destroyer and you're sitting in the captain seat, the AA guns would automatically fire at aircraft in range but the main cannons would remain dormant unless the player actually went to that position.  Ditto for Farmilles, various bombers and the token aircraft with rear gunners.

I know "that other game" out there has already had this function built-in since launch.  They deliberately nerf the accuracy of the AI a bit to keep it from being OP and encourage direct player control, but it is still there and it still helps.  If nothing else it lets you know when you're under attack, as nobody can have their eyes covering a 360 globe all the time - especially while flying, manning cannons or lining up a bombing target.

Naturally this feature has never come to pass, and I am curious as to whether it was abandoned as being too difficult, forgotten under the pile of other planned features, or if CRS simply lost interest in the idea?  Because while I understand that it may have been pretty hard to implement over a decade ago, well, technology only gets better with time so now I'm wondering if it has entered the realm of technical possibility now?  I mean, nobody is running WindowsXP anymore (right?  right?!).  It's 2020 and I'm sitting on eight CPU cores here, guys, so I'm not exactly worried about the "workload" that adding a few AI gunner to whatever I'm driving is going to create.

Anyway, just curious.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kilemall

You might try reading the four threads or so covering this topic, especially since they got started within the past week.  Complete state of the situation and what CRS is looking into.

frogdeth

OK, I will do that.

Sign in to follow this