Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Sign in to follow this  
jwrona

What's Stopping You?

jwrona

Hey all.

I've noticed some interesting things over the last 12 months. A little background: I joined HC in Fall 2019, mainly due to a realization that the TZ I normally played had an absence of an officer. One day we took a town, had SD and for 30 mins went "soooo where is system gonna send us." Was miserable. Ended up joining, and as the guy who had to call the shots for a while every day, was mentored by some vets (AEF & PU the best two groups doing this for me), I learned more about the game then I would've from the sidelines. 

As the CinC and a trainer of OCS, I've noticed that during our winning campaigns, everyone is on the bandwagon, 13 HC on at a time, multiple new recruits weekly. As the allies have gone into a slump, 1 new recruit in last couple weeks. I've noticed the Axis on a momentum swing have experienced the same thing: hardly anyone but poor Googs and Delems to run the show in 173, and now just a swamp of applicants. 

A lot of guys here complain about lack of HC, trying to come up with mechanics to almost remove their need all together. Interestingly, there are quite a few back-seat HC who will tell you all the things you're doing wrong, guys who play serious hours and do all the right things, and the like. So my question, reserving all judgement (on the forums, what am I thinking?), is what's stopping YOU from joining the High Command for your side?

N8

#JoinHC

Lead from the front!

dre21

I did join , usually on early  central US timezone.  

Usually relive Todegera or assist him,

I used to be able to play late Timezone but work kinda changed and put a stop to that.

• Like 1

Kilemall

Foolish policies and man-children that wreck the hard work of building an organization in 3 months of puerile fantasy, in the case of the Allies a lack of desire for stepping up their game and a lack of willingness to play to coordination tactically and strategically.

Edited by Kilemall
  • Like 1

dfire

I'll list the reasons I've never joined HC (in no particular order) 

1. It distracts from playing. Sometimes I like to hang back and guard a fb and monitor map, and sometimes I like to get involved in the attack with tank or inf. Hard to tank or play inf and monitor map at same time.

2. There's supposedly some kind of application process and training. I've done OIC before and know how that stuff works. I'd like to jump right in instead of going through some process that I've heard can take awhile.

3. I'd rather avoid the PM's about the map while trying to play (similar to point #1).

4. Some maps I'm allied and some I'm axis. You can't join a sides hc after just playing a map on the opposing side.

I'd like it so if no HC is online, anyone online who is max rank, or even a couple below max rank, can be given a notification that no HC or OIC is online and be given the option to assume OIC. Then after assuming OIC, it gives them a list of  instructions on how to place AO, withdraw AO, etc. for the guys that haven't done it

Edited by dfire
  • Like 1

sideout

Good idea dfire!

• Like 1

N8
10 minutes ago, dfire said:

I'd like it so if no HC is online, anyone online who is max rank, or even a couple below max rank, can be given a notification that no HC or OIC is online and be given the option to assume OIC. Then after assuming OIC, it gives them a list of  instructions on how to place AO, withdraw AO, etc. for the guys that haven't done it

I've mentioned this in the Game Ideas / Suggestions topic!

10 minutes ago, dfire said:

1. It distracts from playing. Sometimes I like to hang back and guard a fb and monitor map, and sometimes I like to get involved in the attack with tank or inf. Hard to tank or play inf and monitor map at same time.

If you're guarding an FB, you can be MOIC, but if you're not, you can play freely. It's hard to be in the senior command and just try to play peacefully without monitoring the map, I was there before, I was Allied DCoS, and I would always get map, but at the same time I wanted to play the game peacefully.

12 minutes ago, dfire said:

2. There's supposedly some kind of application process and training. I've done OIC before and know how that stuff works. I'd like to jump right in instead of going through some process that I've heard can take awhile.

Takes a few days to get you trained, but you can get a refresher powerpoint sent and you can look over it and talk to the OCS trainer that is training you the next day, saying you understand everything and remember everything like flag movement, place AOs, clear AOs, etc

jwrona
23 minutes ago, dfire said:

I'll list the reasons I've never joined HC (in no particular order) 

3. I'd rather avoid the PM's about the map while trying to play (similar to point #1).

4. Some maps I'm allied and some I'm axis. You can't join a sides hc after just playing a map on the opposing side.

1) yes.

2) yes unless you've got the right trainer.

3) yes. (except youve always PM'd and responded to me bouncing ideas off eachother, that I really appreciate, s!)

4) Yes.

And yes... if no HC online we should have some system to make OIC. It could be easily abused, however. The simplest solution without making the code monkeys try to  (cuz we kno 99% of low pop theres a guy on who is married to that side, thinking of the skipa's, the revrin's, the anderrock's) to reserve HC. Just .hcoff till you're called upon. Easier said than done.

13 minutes ago, N8 said:

If you're guarding an FB, you can be MOIC, but if you're not, you can play freely. It's hard to be in the senior command and just try to play peacefully without monitoring the map, I was there before, I was Allied DCoS, and I would always get map, but at the same time I wanted to play the game peacefully.

And I'll quote from my 3rd day of HC and many more after that:

*N8 logged in*
"I got map."

*10 mins later*
"Logging S!"

• Haha 1

jwrona
15 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Foolish policies and man-children that wreck the hard work of building an organization in 3 months of puerile fantasy, in the case of the Allies a lack of desire for stepping up their game and a lack of willingness to play to coordination tactically and strategically.

so let me get this right... a few dudes spoiled the thing you built (my biggest fear after nearly 7 months at the helm), and the players don't listen to the fine-detailed plans. 

Kilemall

They don't have to listen to fine-detailed plans, just have workable plans of their own that the HC on duty understands and can logistically/strategically support.  Squad ops is best ops.  But the squads need to work with the HCs on a general level even if they aren't accepting micromanaging of a town attack, HCs need to feed the squads red meat for their kind of ops while they are on, either doesn't require players following HC finely detailed plans.  But SOMEBODY needs to not be tearing up the supply, not burning time while achieving something, that involves tactical coordination, and there is no hunger or interest for that for most Allied players, at least when I play.

As to the man-children part, I think I've experienced what you fear about 10x now, maybe more, I forget.  As a result I know you CAN rebuild, that HCs can build it and they will come, and I KNOW some future HC/squad morons will ruin it.  It's hard for me to get into it again knowing it is a fragile army being built, and that the right attitudes and knowledge will be lost, AGAIN.  The current lack of Allied hunger for victory necessary for them to do the hard things makes the effort unpalatable.

Edited by Kilemall

drkmouse

The only real way to rebuild this SQUADS

squads,   TRAINING there group for  team play

squads taking charge og an ao as a group

squadas leadign by expample

• Like 1

N8
2 hours ago, jwrona said:

*N8 logged in*
"I got map."

*10 mins later*
"Logging S!"

Damn right, Rona.

saffroli
On 10/17/2020 at 5:29 PM, jwrona said:

what's stopping YOU from joining the High Command for your side?

Well it's like being a backbencher vs being prime minister, in a nut shell, when you're PM your hands are tied in-terms of what you can say and do as opposed to being a backbencher.

Back in the day you could attack any town as there was no AO so to speak of and all HC would do is organize raiding parties, essentially and I think it was better that way in an optimal way but obviously player numbers have taken a beating since those days.

Also calling other players morons because they are feeding allied stats doesn't reflect well if you're hc, so I don't want to cash in that privilege tbh

• Like 2

jwrona
3 hours ago, drkmouse said:

The only real way to rebuild this SQUADS

I LIKE THIS. Best nights are squad night for me (or when I sit in on another squad night)

1 hour ago, saffroli said:

Back in the day you could attack any town as there was no AO so to speak of and all HC would do is organize raiding parties, essentially and I think it was better that way in an optimal way but obviously player numbers have taken a beating since those days.

Also calling other players morons because they are feeding allied stats doesn't reflect well if you're hc, so I don't want to cash in that privilege tbh

Point #1 right on the head. Player numbers have forced us into a 1.36 scenario. 
And yes. You can't call people morons when they feed a 110 to jwrona and his trackpad (really, stop it).

Sign in to follow this