Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

dre21

CRS u want to keep new players?

dre21

Well fastest way to lose them is what happened yesterday in Flavion.

I'm sure you got a few report logs yesterday.

1st of LOCK the damn chat bar already for players till they reach a certain Rank.

2nd a player gets a PM it needs to be more noticeable then the little chime bell. Especially for new players again till they achieve a certain rank then it can go to what we have now.

3rd  our game is kinda capture the flag , a new player is told to cap any building that doesn't have its nation flag on it. But now come in all these goofy variants in. Don't cap AB till last it will kick the AO if we cap CPs 1st.

Don't cap the AB at all cause we are doing a Fallback and we can use fantasy supply ( who the F knew there is such a thing) I didn't and I'm not new.

Let's keep it simple , Fallback means we sacrifice the town but all Supply left in garrison goes to the town behind it along with the garrison .

Why am I saying that cause you can save yourself a few reports along with the loss of a newer player ( paying or may soon be a paying customer) cause the player base goes ape [censored], and throws out insults and makes reports.

It was embarrassing what happened in Flavion yesterday , so bad that I was ready to log . I tried to talk reason and sense into players via .Axis and Global chat. To tone it down , I even pulled up the players name on CS&R to see his service record . 

But if you ( CRS ) lost that player you can blame yourself for not implemented any of the suggested ideas by us Players after the Steam launch and how to retain players.

It's not an excuse for how the player base reacted , but the different rules and variants in the how one can hold a town is just to complicated . Let's  simplify the whole process.

I know some of my fellow players will not agree with what I just wrote and to clarify it , this is not an attack on any of these players that went of the rail and got mad yesterday , I get it as players we don't like to lose a Town .

But we ( player base nor the game ) will be around or able to play this game we enjoy/love so much if we do what happened in Flavion last night.

S! Dre21

• Like 2

sideout

I wasnt online for that, i would have tried to help. That being said, consider this: The dre21s, the sideouts, the insert-name here, that have played this game since the early days, we are NOT the future of this game. We are the PRESENT. The new players coming in everyday, they are the FUTURE of this game. Dre, Sideout, insert name here, we aint going anywhere. I'll be here until im dead (im 67 so the clock is ticking) the game finally fades away, or the whole thing takes off like a rocket ship and xoom ends up lighting cigars with twenty dollar bills. There are soooo many things a new player has to learn, then we throw these other things at them? Throw in a new players understanding of forums? Whats a forum? Awards? How does that work? ETC

My point for consideration going forward, is that we best ought to be thinking about how do we retain these new folks. What are the tools needed, etc. Im sure the Rats have the stats on people who signed up free, et al how many conversions, what their customer acquisition cost is (yes i watch shark tank)

sideout

Heres another thought on retaining/training of green tags

what if..............when a new player first signs in, picks a side, it automatically assigns him to a squad (OPT in) The squad has X amount of time to reach out, make a connection, etc. The person is sidelocked for a week, has to play with that assigned squad, then after a week they get a OPT Out yes/no and back to spawn screen, start over.

Rotate it weekly among the squads on each side, some will do better than others. If the key to retention is relationships (you dont quit on your buddies!)we force start that beginning.

foe2

the game does a terrible job of explaining what is about.  we all see greentags walking to AOs when there are fms up. However also all to often a greentag's first experience might be to be camped by a 232 or allied tank etc. that's not great for any player retention rates.  I think CRS know that the majority of player don't do the tutorial so getting the message across is difficult.  I don't think there are any easy answers to this. 

edit:   I assume that greentags are funnelled into the under pop side when things are unbalanced. That might not be great for player retention either as again you come to side than could be under serious pressure and players not really in a real postion to reach out to new guys straight away/ 

Edited by foe2
additional idea

fidd

I think a really good start would be a symbol on someones tag and or name indicating they're not an English speaker, or, if they wish, denoting what language they do speak. It's all very regrettable for the player-base to go postal because someone ignores advice, but we simply assume a certain level of English which simply isn't always the case. Secondly, it'd be helpful if - when at low rank, when you spawned from an FB you were notified "You have spawned from a Forward base (FB)" or similar from an "AB", and then when they've seen those messages (in their own language) a few times, start to give the more nuanced helpful messages: "You have spawned from an FB. It's a long walk into town, why not spawn from a mission with a green-tick on it, to spawn nearer the action!" - and so on. We could make a whacking great list of this stuff, so that whatever new players do, they get context-specific help via the chat bar.

Edited by fidd

ZEBBEEE

We have the option to activate back the host squad program, which would automatically attach any new player to this squad, as recruit for 7 days.

It didn't work well because that is a massive flood of players and the squad needs lots of veterans to help. 

New players don't stay because they can't find a battle within their first 10 minutes game experience, probably trying to compare with shoebox shooters, or other MMOs where they are crafting and killing spiders right away.

Not to mention how they are quickly lost with the controls, especially vehicles and aircraft.

Quincannon

Something else to note:

There is a LOT to take in when you're new. Much of it is a new language.

CP, AO, DO, FMS, MS, AB, Cap, Bounce.... How the heck is a new player supposed to know anything about any of these?

As far as the new Bounce the AO by recapping all the CPs and then the AB to bounce the AO.. or Wait... don't recap the AB so we can keep the supply.... well obviously there's no way at all a new player could get confused. Or vets for that matter...

I am usually on board with CRS's decisions, but this particular setup is confusing and really needs to be changed.

dijpa

why not implement some kind of scripted training missions that teach newbies the basics. the biggest problem often is that people dont even know how to create a mission to check/guard a flag.

ZEBBEEE
2 hours ago, dijpa said:

why not implement some kind of scripted training missions that teach newbies the basics. the biggest problem often is that people dont even know how to create a mission to check/guard a flag.

Because CRS1.0 thought it was more important to know how to throw a grenade? :)

More seriously, a Virtual trainer giving you instructions while spawning into real missions would have been awesome.

sideout

Another “what if”

everyday has spawn window for new players. The window opens, closes, contracts, expands as vet players throw their name in the hat to coach? That way there is a pool of trainers waiting for fresh fish. No reason why a vet couldn’t train 2-3 at a time, for a small window of their own?

Kilemall
6 hours ago, ZEBBEEE said:

Because CRS1.0 thought it was more important to know how to throw a grenade? :)

More seriously, a Virtual trainer giving you instructions while spawning into real missions would have been awesome.

One of the first things I suggested from the getgo was that macros for the training packages be made open, so squads could make up their own training packages and run 'virtual boot camps' training up their guys to function their way.

The noob downloads from the squad site, runs through their course, and is much more game ready.

Inevitably some people would post macros to the general playerbase, or CRS could host 'approved' courses.