Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

dwalin

How can we fix the community?

dwalin

I've been around this game since 2001.  One of the biggest reasons I've been around that long is because the community has been a great group of people to talk with, hang out with, and game with.  But it seems lately as though that sense of one-ness has eroded dramatically and been replaced with this horribly contentous atmosphere.  The forums here, for example, I used to come to on a regular basis and participate in discussion.  But now they are just filled with negativity and people accusing this, that, or the other.  The chat in game, during certain times of day, is to the point where I am finding myself turning off side chat and sometimes even having to turn off ops chat.  So what has brought on this new atmosphere to the game and how can we, as players, address it?  It's not just me noticing it, I've heard quite a few people talk about it.  I even had an HC guy apologize to me in PM that the chat in game was so bad one night (he wasn't doing it, but the side chat was just that bad). 

We need to be better than this if we want to maintain and grow the playerbase. 

• Like 3

TheCat

I don't think it helps you can't pop over on discord to the other side any more to say hello, it kept the other side human... was going to chat to Coila this morning for a min  then realised you can't do that.  it adds to the game keeps it fun if you can pop over the other side to chat to the people you know after a dual and vice versa....

• Like 1

fidd

There's less "down-time" now, so the oppurtunities for socialing are fewer, and the periods less. We probably all have memories of being driven to battle in a "Beddy" or "Opel" and having a hell of a laugh at a squad-mates driving-'skills' as he threw us into a river or "took-off" going over a bridge or berm.

gretnine
25 minutes ago, TheCat said:

I don't think it helps you can't pop over on discord to the other side any more to say hello, it kept the other side human... was going to chat to Coila this morning for a min  then realised you can't do that.  it adds to the game keeps it fun if you can pop over the other side to chat to the people you know after a dual and vice versa....

100% agreed and I think, while the new discord server change is great, this should be implemented back somehow. First thing I did after the changes were messaging both my squad and WHIPS on their respected chatrooms. Now I can only do one, simply because I'm flagged as Allied. 

I think those who want it, should be able to tag themselves as both factions to chat with either side on Discord.  @XOOM

TEX64

While the Side Chat is a free-ranging line of communication, NO player has the right to infringe upon another player's gaming experience by spouting excessive derogatory or negative rhetoric about TOPIC X, Y, or Z.  Direct those individuals to the OFF-TOPIC Forums which is where that 'commentary' belongs IF it does not violate the TOS.

If a particular individual(s) are being detrimental to your gaming experience and no one is immediately available thru HC, GM, or CRS - PLEASE type a type .REPORT and/or grab a screenshot thru the F9 function and send it to your respective Allied or Axis Community Management Team.

Allied CM

Blkhwk8 - via PM or blkhwk8@corneredrats.com

Westy91 - via PM or westy91@corneredrats.com

Axis CM

KMS - via PM or kms@corneredrats.com

Tex64 - via PM or tex64@corneredrats.com

We are aware of certain individuals who impact the gameplay of others and please know we are striving to give everyone the benefit of the doubt while providing opportunities to adjust or reform their individual behavior.  The continued abuse of others, and that is what it is, can and will lead to a less satisfactory gaming experience NOT to the player base but for the individuals who are PERPETUATING this issue.  That is THEIR choice following being warned.  It may be their choice but it is The Community's game and having access to it does carry some expectation of common sense and decency.

Be safe and be well,

tex

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

N8
6 minutes ago, gretnine said:

I think those who want it, should be able to tag themselves as both factions to chat with either side on Discord.  @XOOM

They only did this to prevent side switchers to go over and listen to voice comms, and then come back over.

35 minutes ago, TheCat said:

it adds to the game keeps it fun if you can pop over the other side to chat to the people you know after a dual and vice versa....

I agree, 100% here.

I used to jump over from Allied to Axis discord to chat with a few ex-squaddies, and then vice-versa, Axis to Allied, to chat with a few guys I knew. 

• Thanks 1

gretnine
12 minutes ago, N8 said:

They only did this to prevent side switchers to go over and listen to voice comms, and then come back over.

If players in this community cannot act like adults and/or without cheating or berating others via chat/voice -hopping, THEY DO NOT BELONG HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I absolutely hate the idea of isolating and alienating players from each other because some are afraid of malicious intent. And frankly, if that is the only reason, then those who are in-charge are doing poor job with battling the issue to begin with. (Disclaimer: This is by no means a slight towards anyone in charge, but more of a personal opinion in general regardless of game or community).

You shouldn't be doing drastic changes that involve the whole community because of few bad apples. 

Edited by gretnine
  • Like 2

dwalin
2 minutes ago, gretnine said:

I absolutely hate the idea of isolating and alienating players from each other because some are afraid of malicious intent and frankly, if that is the only reason, then those who are in-charge are doing poor job with battling the issue to begin with. (Disclaimer: This is by no means a slight towards anyone in charge, but more of a personal opinion in general). 

This is a concept that is coming up more and more lately.  This idea that we have to exclude people for "mission integrity".  And to me, that's big time problematic.  We should be more inclusive and less exclusive.  Goes to my overall point of really being a much less enjoyable environment overall.  

And @TEX64, yeah I fully trust you guys in CM are monitoring it.  I, frankly, don't play during US prime time any more because it just got that bad during that time zone.

• Like 1

N8
11 minutes ago, gretnine said:

If players in this community cannot act like adults and/or without cheating or berating others via chat/voice -hopping, THEY DO NOT BELONG HERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

I absolutely hate the idea of isolating and alienating players from each other because some are afraid of malicious intent. And frankly, if that is the only reason, then those who are in-charge are doing poor job with battling the issue to begin with. (Disclaimer: This is by no means a slight towards anyone in charge, but more of a personal opinion in general regardless of game or community).

You shouldn't be doing drastic changes that involve the whole community because of few bad apples. 

I agree with you Gret.

1 hour ago, dwalin said:

is to the point where I am finding myself turning off side chat and sometimes even having to turn off ops chat

the reason why I switched Allied, so bad on the Axis side chat.

Edited by N8

TEX64
22 minutes ago, N8 said:

This may be a popular belief but be advised that was NOT the reason for the Discord option of pick a side . . . it is primarily to a) encourage players to communicate via Discord and b) advancing the profile of WW2OL in the Discord Community which allows us to attract more players.

Cheaters will cheat, no matter what barriers are established.  When we catch them it is addressed appropriately to include documentation.  My PERSONAL opinion and NOT CRS' would be to out them . . . posting their game nicks and their contact info but that won't happen for obvious reasons.

Thanks,

tex

saffroli

Depends what the chat is contextually. If people are going on political monologues than I have no time for it. People play to escape. Regardless of which side of the field you harvest, everyone can agree that getting away from political news/topics is becoming nigh-on impossible and it's definitely a turn off for people. 

I think chat in game should be reserved for game-only discussions or light conversation at most. I grow weary of these heavy debates.

That said if its in game discussion regarding such, I don't have a problem with people going at it. It's good. It's healthy provided that anyone who's in the wrong can admit it. Nothing wrong with being chewed out imo. There's a limit before it descends into personal crap but people should be able to take criticism if they are serious about improving their game.

dwalin

The one thing I will say about the Discord changes is that I don't like not being able to swap over and just chat with some of my friends.  When WHIPS and Lancers would stumble across each other in a battle, it was pretty routine that we would bounce back and forth for some playful taunting and joking.  That's part of what made the two squads a lot of fun.  But sadly we just can't do that any more and I wish we could.

1 minute ago, saffroli said:

Depends what the chat is contextually. If people are going on political monologues than I have no time for it. People play to escape. Regardless of which side of the field you harvest, everyone can agree that getting away from political news/topics is becoming nigh-on impossible and it's definitely a turn off for people. 

I think chat in game should be reserved for game-only discussions or light conversation at most. I grow weary of these heavy debates.

That said if its in game discussion regarding such, I don't have a problem with people going at it. It's good. It's healthy provided that anyone who's in the wrong can admit it. Nothing wrong with being chewed out imo. There's a limit before it descends into personal crap but people should be able to take criticism if they are serious about improving their game.

The chat, when I have decided to just stop playing during those times, is almost always starting political and then descending into name calling and using slurs against people.  But it goes beyond that, to me.  Look at the forums themselves as an example.  We are so badly side biased as players and we've taken to just thinking the other side is to blame for everything.  

• Like 1

TEX64
9 minutes ago, saffroli said:

**** DING DING DING *****

That's a winner, folks!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

stankyus
33 minutes ago, TEX64 said:

That's a winner, folks!

The political chat on the Allied side (thank heavens) at least when I am on is very limited and does not last long.  I have enough political talk outside of this game and when I want to engage, I just hit up OT.  Very infrequent these days tbh.

tater

Yeah, hearing political crap on chat is pretty rare in my experience (Allied, I have zero experience with Axis chat).

saffroli
41 minutes ago, TEX64 said:

That's a winner, folks!

Well the problem is, I was muted in an instance like this [for TWO HOURS], clearly a case of mistaken identity by a trigger happy GM. 

And when chat muted you can't even type anything in the chat box.. even .who 

So I do think it would be beneficial for people to read into nuance abit more

bmw

If and when I play....which has not been often lately......I dont even bother with voice coms.  Ive played this game long enough to know what to do with out having to listen to idle chatter.  Ill stick to type chat.

• Like 2

blakeh
3 hours ago, gretnine said:

I agree,  but there will always be someone who will breaks the rules.  To be fair, some of our younger members may go over and listen to the other side and bring back intel without realizing it is really cheating, but when you explain it to them they stop.

XOOM
3 hours ago, gretnine said:

100% agreed and I think, while the new discord server change is great, this should be implemented back somehow. First thing I did after the changes were messaging both my squad and WHIPS on their respected chatrooms. Now I can only do one, simply because I'm flagged as Allied. 

We're not reverting the Discord setup, we just finally removed the old one yesterday. So that's done. If anything a solid argument could be easily made that now that we've brought the Discord to one place, for all players, we now have an opportunity to work on connecting people together in better ways. And all of the issues being presented here about lack of connectivity and engagement between the community was exacerbated with that separation.

There are other reasons for going to one Discord, like a single destination for all, increased support and community participation, and it's also about unlocking new features and capabilities to help drive more members into our community. It's a big win, and I don't think you should be looking at this as a negative move in any way.

The side lock is something we simulate in-game. There is a neutral ground however to communicate and we can look on exploring that, IF, it's going to be used. One key requirement is to cut down on the waste that started to build up over a period of time on Discord. 

stankyus
9 minutes ago, blakeh said:

I agree,  but there will always be someone who will breaks the rules.  To be fair, some of our younger members may go over and listen to the other side and bring back intel without realizing it is really cheating, but when you explain it to them they stop.

We at one time had a squaddie that would play with us and when we formed up had to "log". He would meet us with an 88, and a prepared defense. We told him not to do that and he said "oh I did not know that".  However he did not stop doing it.  So we kicked him.

• Like 1

XOOM
4 hours ago, dwalin said:

I've been around this game since 2001.  One of the biggest reasons I've been around that long is because the community has been a great group of people to talk with, hang out with, and game with.  But it seems lately as though that sense of one-ness has eroded dramatically and been replaced with this horribly contentous atmosphere.  The forums here, for example, I used to come to on a regular basis and participate in discussion.  But now they are just filled with negativity and people accusing this, that, or the other.  The chat in game, during certain times of day, is to the point where I am finding myself turning off side chat and sometimes even having to turn off ops chat.  So what has brought on this new atmosphere to the game and how can we, as players, address it?  It's not just me noticing it, I've heard quite a few people talk about it.  I even had an HC guy apologize to me in PM that the chat in game was so bad one night (he wasn't doing it, but the side chat was just that bad). 

We need to be better than this if we want to maintain and grow the playerbase. 

I noticed this sometime ago and made a rather large post about it. Take a look, similar things said, though I was mainly focusing on the forums. Also notice the outcome:

stankyus
37 minutes ago, XOOM said:

We're not reverting the Discord setup, we just finally removed the old one yesterday. So that's done. If anything a solid argument could be easily made that now that we've brought the Discord to one place, for all players, we now have an opportunity to work on connecting people together in better ways. And all of the issues being presented here about lack of connectivity and engagement between the community was exacerbated with that separation.

There are other reasons for going to one Discord, like a single destination for all, increased support and community participation, and it's also about unlocking new features and capabilities to help drive more members into our community. It's a big win, and I don't think you should be looking at this as a negative move in any way.

The side lock is something we simulate in-game. There is a neutral ground however to communicate and we can look on exploring that, IF, it's going to be used. One key requirement is to cut down on the waste that started to build up over a period of time on Discord. 

I am gonna miss Hastien jumping on AEF channel and asking how I friggen killed him :).  LOL he is a good guy and it was fun getting ribbed by him from time to time.  The negatives for jumping onto one channel are so minor, the benefit outweighs the negative IMO.

foe2
5 minutes ago, stankyus said:

I am gonna miss Hastien jumping on AEF channel and asking how I friggen killed him :).  LOL he is a good guy and it was fun getting ribbed by him from time to time.  The negatives for jumping onto one channel are so minor, the benefit outweighs the negative IMO.

I going to miss the fact I can't pop over and ask Haisten if he has seen Strike69 recently and if any of the whips had heard from him because he hasn't been on for about 2 months , as I did a couple of weeks ago. 

gretnine
49 minutes ago, XOOM said:

I want to reiterate that I don't think no one necessarily wants you to revert the Discord setup back to what it used to be, but instead improve the current setup and implement a solution that wouldn't put a massive wall between the community and the two sides. 

Edited by gretnine
  • Like 1

TheCat
25 minutes ago, gretnine said:

I want to reiterate that I don't think no one necessarily wants you to revert the Discord setup back to what it used to be, but instead improve the current setup and implement a solution that wouldn't put a massive wall between the community and the two sides. 

100% agree,   I just don't want the baby to be thrown out with the bathwater    the ability  to pop over and troll spowie or is it weejokey   or both  I always get them two rapscallions mixed up   about his football team   combat tactics is essential. 

Edited by TheCat