Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

Dre21

Commando Troops

Dre21

For builder account , I like it even that I'm not a builder.

But one wish can we make them stand out a bit ?

German give them a camo smock. 

Brit and French a Beret , 

American the wool hat maybe .

Something different to just add that bit of flair .

• Like 2

blggles

An so we can know where to aim our sniper rifle. 

kareca
5 hours ago, dre21 said:

For builder account , I like it even that I'm not a builder.

But one wish can we make them stand out a bit ?

German give them a camo smock. 

Brit and French a Beret , 

American the wool hat maybe .

Something different to just add that bit of flair .

panties pink?

jwilly

The premium class wouldn't be much of a benefit to the people it supposedly would reward, if it was outwardly easier to spot and target. It should be the other way around.

12514118-young-businessman-with-target-o

• Like 1

Dre21

If you think I kill any player not in the same uniform as me  differently , you are mistaken .

I could care less if he wears a smock a beret or a wool hat, he ain't wearing the same Uniform or is not affiliated with my side he gets to respawn simple as that. 

The point is for these players to stand out to encourage others to go hey I would like to run around in a commando outfit too I'll sign up.

No incentive for me if he looks like any other just the load out is a bit different. 

Kilemall

Rattlesnakes got rattles to ID what they are.  So should commandos.

DOC

Makes sense.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAT0VACJhNiNrwwoU9msH

jwilly
2 hours ago, Kilemall said:

Rattlesnakes got rattles to ID what they are.  So should commandos.

Rattlesnakes didn't evolve to fight on a battlefield where good camouflage (the game specific kind, not the real world stuff that's anti-camouflage here) means survival and success, and being visually identifiable against the game-world and in particular among your fellow soldiers means being singled out as a preferred target.

(...) can we make them stand out a bit ? (...) Something different to just add that bit of flair.

CRS has been down this road before. Remember the officer uniforms, so those players would "stand out a bit"? That worked out well, eh?

Dre21
30 minutes ago, jwilly said:

(...) can we make them stand out a bit ? (...) Something different to just add that bit of flair.

CRS has been down this road before. Remember the officer uniforms, so those players would "stand out a bit"? That worked out well, eh?

And guess what I didn't care one bit cause it didn't matter, it's not like the chain of command stopped, the chat bar was locked, the marks didn't get posted. I didn't go out there just to hunt officers with poofy pants, if they came across me so be it , if I was faster their screen went black on the other end and he had to respawn, just like any other soldier.

So if we go by all your thought process why even think about special decals for squads , or camo patterns for Armor or Nose art that one could buy to increase revenue . If that would just mean one could gets singled out.

Well let me put it plain and simple , I get a Soldier that runs around like any other just with a different load out , no incentive to even think about it. Sorry to say so , in other words you just cost CRS revenue.

Congratulations. 

Edited by dre21
  • Like 1

delems

Agree, HC and commandos should have different uniforms somewhat.

Navy too for that matter.

• Like 2

hillstorm
1 hour ago, jwilly said:

Rattlesnakes didn't evolve to fight on a battlefield where good camouflage (the game specific kind, not the real world stuff that's anti-camouflage here) means survival and success, and being visually identifiable against the game-world and in particular among your fellow soldiers means being singled out as a preferred target.

Don't mean to sidetrack us, but I've been wanting to ask for a while - what game name do you play under? You are a gold builder, and you know a lot about the game, but I never see "jwilly" online. Do you play under another name?

Dre21
10 hours ago, hillstorm said:

Don't mean to sidetrack us, but I've been wanting to ask for a while - what game name do you play under? You are a gold builder, and you know a lot about the game, but I never see "jwilly" online. Do you play under another name?

Well if you look at his stats he has a total of 539 sorties TOTAL , so I don't care if one is a gold builder or not , I would listen to players that actually play the game , not players that have gold standard but then decide not to play. Unless he does play under a different name which in my eyes makes no sense at all.

fidd

Where is this "people who don't play much don't count" nonsense coming from? I've seen it a few times recently. People's ability to play changes, through age, illness, starting families, more onerous jobs, but many of them are no less committed to the game, and many of us - myself included - are still passionate about it, and seeing it improve and evolve. Many of us having been playing from the games inception, 20 years ago. It is manifestly silly to suggest their, usually very well-informed, views do not count, merely because those currently playing 24/7 have no such, or few encumbrances preventing routine play.

Back to the topic in hand, I'd have thought adding some historically correct rank insignia, sargeant's or corporal's stripes/chevrons would have been enough, some visual distinction without going down the ramboesque "super-soldier" route. 

Edited by fidd
  • Like 1

Dre21
39 minutes ago, fidd said:

Where is this "people who don't play much don't count" nonsense coming from? I've seen it a few times recently. People's ability to play changes, through age, illness, starting families, more onerous jobs, but many of them are no less committed to the game, and many of us - myself included - are still passionate about it, and seeing it improve and evolve. Many of us having been playing from the games inception, 20 years ago. It is manifestly silly to suggest their, usually very well-informed, views do not count, merely because those currently playing 24/7 have no such, or few encumbrances preventing routine play.

Back to the topic in hand, I'd have thought adding some historically correct rank insignia, sargeant's or corporal's stripes/chevrons would have been enough, some visual distinction without going down the ramboesque "super-soldier" route. 

I didn't say they don't count ,but  we are talking creating revenue , I'm sorry a guy that has 500+sorties even if he is a gold player might know what he would like to see but sure is not in touch with the player base that is actually in game fighting the virtual battle hour for hour. 

You said yourself improve and evolve, Commando troops that look different then what we have now in game would fall under evolve . The builder get it , they ID with a Commando Soldier that looks a bit different then all the others.

Are you seriously thinking that the other side will shot any faster or slower seeing him run across the street.  Are you seriously saying I'll let 4 guys cross the road 1st cause I see the 5th guy is a Commando builder type and I want him and let the other 4 go?

Cause that is what Jwilly pretty much is saying.  That the other side will send out hunting parties that these super lethal ninja troopers don't cap a AB with a knife alone while all the other troops are free to roam and cap at hearts content. 

We have discussed so many ideas to bring in extra revenue , maybe one should ask the builders and see what they would like.

Would they like to be recognized via a small change on their trooper avatar or would they like to keep running around like all the others , just with a jacked up loadout.

hillstorm
1 hour ago, fidd said:

If someone is unable, or unwilling, or even uninterested in playing the game but is still passionate about ... the game, let's be honest. Something is out of sorts about that. Games are for playing. If you're just passionate about talking about the game, your passion is actually more about engaging in an online message board. I think you were making a distinction between sometime players and 24/7 players and I get that; I'm thinking more along the lines of those who rarely or never play.

Look, I'm not talking about jwilly. I don't know him, and my question to him was an honest one. I figured he plays under another account, for all I know he could be an HC. I have no idea. Honest question and I'll probably ask him again - I don't know why he would hesitate to answer it(?). He's a supporter and this game needs all the supporters it can get. And his demonstrated knowledge about the game and WW2 in general is vast. 

But aside from that, and in answer to you, it sure as heck makes a difference whether one plays the game or not. Real feedback on what's happening in-game and how gameplay is affected, good or bad, comes from the players. That's not some sort of stretch or criticism, it's just (to me) common sense. 

Edited by hillstorm

fidd
2 hours ago, hillstorm said:

If someone is unable, or unwilling, or even uninterested in playing the game but is still passionate about ... the game, let's be honest. Something is out of sorts about that. Games are for playing. If you're just passionate about talking about the game, your passion is actually more about engaging in an online message board. I think you were making a distinction between sometime players and 24/7 players and I get that; I'm thinking more along the lines of those who rarely or never play.

Look, I'm not talking about jwilly. I don't know him, and my question to him was an honest one. I figured he plays under another account, for all I know he could be an HC. I have no idea. Honest question and I'll probably ask him again - I don't know why he would hesitate to answer it(?). He's a supporter and this game needs all the supporters it can get. And his demonstrated knowledge about the game and WW2 in general is vast. 

But aside from that, and in answer to you, it sure as heck makes a difference whether one plays the game or not. Real feedback on what's happening in-game and how gameplay is affected, good or bad, comes from the players. That's not some sort of stretch or criticism, it's just (to me) common sense. 

Not in the least, just because some of us don't play the game often now, doesn't mean we don't want to. In 20 years time, no doubt you'll find your ability to play a game greatly changed one way or another. But those of us who've been playing for 20 years, and still pay subs, are no less committed to it, regardless of how much - or little - we get to play. The other point I'd raise, is that one time or another both sides  players have experienced tough periods in game. These have a habit of re-occuring, invariably for the same reasons. So, just because one of us isn't in game at the latest time one of these reoccurs, doesn't mean we fail to understand it any less than those currently in game experiencing it possibly for the 1st time. We've seen it before, not infrequently several times, in fact, thus we may in fact understand it more fully.

Kilemall
On 10/25/2020 at 10:41 AM, dre21 said:

Well if you look at his stats he has a total of 539 sorties TOTAL , so I don't care if one is a gold builder or not , I would listen to players that actually play the game , not players that have gold standard but then decide not to play. Unless he does play under a different name which in my eyes makes no sense at all.

There have been entire years where I play mostly under my second account.  Avoids a lot of the forum hassle, and I can really let loose on opinions.

Kidd27
On 10/24/2020 at 11:47 PM, jwilly said:

If they stand out too much"in the field" they become the first target you see, and inevitably shoot at. not so good.

Im not so sure about preferred target though. Bad guys are bad guys, generally you shoot at the ones you come across, whether hes wearing a robin hood cap or a bucket

• Like 1

Kidd27
9 hours ago, hillstorm said:

Time invested over the years playing, has a bonding effect. Many have 20 years invested. Even if they may have not played in a year, it doesnt negate 19 years of cumulative knowledge/passion, and a continued interest to see it grow and evolve

Dre21
2 hours ago, Kidd27 said:

If they stand out too much"in the field" they become the first target you see, and inevitably shoot at. not so good.

Im not so sure about preferred target though. Bad guys are bad guys, generally you shoot at the ones you come across, whether hes wearing a robin hood cap or a bucket

Hmmm a Beret or a Wool hat or a Camo Smock I doubt that this will be the WOAHHH here I am shoot me arrow. For the Axis Trooper it might be , but it's Camo so he might blend in a bit more then the Field gray it's actually getting.

Also I assume you and Fidd are against the AAR and who killed you report. Cause the who killed you is more of a Hey here I am calling card then what I propose.

If certain players kill me I instantly know look on roofs or attics, others are yup I have to look for a EFMS out in the field so he can resupply his sapper, others are dead ringer for he is  behind a sniper rifle or a certain type of Armor.

So the Killer AAR is far more damaging to a players life then a little change on a uniform. 

Edited by dre21

hillstorm
10 hours ago, fidd said:

Not in the least, just because some of us don't play the game often now, doesn't mean we don't want to. In 20 years time, no doubt you'll find your ability to play a game greatly changed one way or another. But those of us who've been playing for 20 years, and still pay subs, are no less committed to it, regardless of how much - or little - we get to play. The other point I'd raise, is that one time or another both sides  players have experienced tough periods in game. These have a habit of re-occuring, invariably for the same reasons. So, just because one of us isn't in game at the latest time one of these reoccurs, doesn't mean we fail to understand it any less than those currently in game experiencing it possibly for the 1st time. We've seen it before, not infrequently several times, in fact, thus we may in fact understand it more fully.

There's nothing wrong or strange about having a shared interest and love for the game. You (I don't mean "you" per se, but anyone) might feel a sense of community around it. And as Kidd27 mentioned, there is a bonding aspect. You might still have an interest in the game and wish for it to succeed. And I'll grant that, yes, in such cases, you can still be committed to the game even if you haven't played in months, or a year, or several years. 

But a game is essentially for - and about - the people who play it. That's a bottom line. A game does not survive without its players. Especially a game like this whose health depends directly on players being online. And yes, financial health depending on many of those players being paying subs. 

You can't tell me someone who hasn't played in two years (for example) is as committed to this game as ... Delems (another example). They just aren't. I'm sorry, but paying a sub and writing posts about the game can certainly be helpful, but how do you really even know what is happening in the game? You're just piecing together info from others' message board posts, CRS update notes, and maybe your own memory of what it was like the last time you played. That's not a full understanding, especially given all the updates that are pushed through over just the course of a year.

So if you're then giving opinions about what should or shouldn't be done, or fixed, or changed, I'm going to take your opinion with a grain of salt. You're supporting and helping the game, that's great. I've done the same thing, I've taken lots of time off ... life takes over, and there are times that will happen again and I won't be able to play. 

I just want to draw a distinction between people who actively play the game, and those who perhaps exist solely in the "concept" and community around it (even if they used to play it). Both experiences are valid, but they are not the same. 

Quincannon
31 minutes ago, hillstorm said:

There's nothing wrong or strange about having a shared interest and love for the game. You (I don't mean "you" per se, but anyone) might feel a sense of community around it. And as Kidd27 mentioned, there is a bonding aspect. You might still have an interest in the game and wish for it to succeed. And I'll grant that, yes, in such cases, you can still be committed to the game even if you haven't played in months, or a year, or several years. 

But a game is essentially for - and about - the people who play it. That's a bottom line. A game does not survive without its players. Especially a game like this whose health depends directly on players being online. And yes, financial health depending on many of those players being paying subs. 

You can't tell me someone who hasn't played in two years (for example) is as committed to this game as ... Delems (another example). They just aren't. I'm sorry, but paying a sub and writing posts about the game can certainly be helpful, but how do you really even know what is happening in the game? You're just piecing together info from others' message board posts, CRS update notes, and maybe your own memory of what it was like the last time you played. That's not a full understanding, especially given all the updates that are pushed through over just the course of a year.

So if you're then giving opinions about what should or shouldn't be done, or fixed, or changed, I'm going to take your opinion with a grain of salt. You're supporting and helping the game, that's great. I've done the same thing, I've taken lots of time off ... life takes over, and there are times that will happen again and I won't be able to play. 

I just want to draw a distinction between people who actively play the game, and those who perhaps exist solely in the "concept" and community around it (even if they used to play it). Both experiences are valid, but they are not the same. 

OK, you have a point. But you also disregard certain valid points of others. Just because a  player is not ON the field as much as you think they SHOULD be, doesn't mean that they aren't up to date. It doesn't mean that they don't know exactly what is happening in the game.

Consider the folks that you might be talking about:

1. Volunteers actually working on the game. They have jobs AND they are doing development work. They probably have families. When are they supposed to run sorties for fun again?

2. People who get on the forums and Discord when they can, but they have to work and have responsibilities. They keep up with every change, and make the Rat Chats, but they just can't log in as much as they want.

3. People who, like Killemall, have second accounts so they can play in peace and on Discord on one account and can feel free to say what they want to say in the forums on another. That way they have the forum anonymity that they want. Maybe they don't want to have forum stuff affect their actual play time. A64m might not have a sortie for 6 months,   Pentamon might have 50, and Qahal might have 1000 in that amount of time. Are you going to say that A64, isn't up to date? because these are 3 of God how many accounts one guy has run , often all on the same night.

4. High Command players who actually focus on running the map. Guess what? You Can NOT take advantage of all of the High Command functions and be spawned in to the game.  Sure, you can use side chat. You can scroll out and try to get a feel for the whole map... but let's say you need to move two units on the map in two towns at the same time, or mess with two AOs at the same time. If you are sitting on the map... you can do this simultaneously.  But if you are spawned in... you are considered as being in one particular brigade. If you tell the system to move a particular brigade while you are spawned in.. you can do that... but the system only allows ONE such command at a time, as it registers that you are telling the brigade you are in to take that action. So you have to wait for that command to be accepted and them completed by the system. This can take a few minutes... anywhere from 2-5 minutes per command or more... And you can't despawn. If you despawn the system cancels that command. (You can get killed, but you still can't despawn).

So, in my experience, there are any number of HC Officers, who, when logging in and taking the map... realize that they might well not really be able to actually run a single sortie that day. And some of them play a LOT. In the past I have seen HC guys who left HC because they were spending a load of hours in game without actually being able to spawn in and play.

Sortie numbers are a really inaccurate indicator of a player's activity in this game.

S!S!S!

Quincannon
On 10/24/2020 at 10:47 PM, jwilly said:

I also remember that some of the issues reflected the use of bright red colors on the Kepis (at least for the French). And there IS a bit of difference between Builders and HC... One can see the reasons for targeting enemy officers. Targeting an enemy officer can throw off their game and frustrate them... which could give your side an edge.  Builders on the other hand, are not the ones trying to run the map. The effect of killing them, regardless of their unit would have a completely different effect on play, generally affecting only the player targeted.

As a builder and HC member, I would love to see somewhat distinctive uniforms for each. Maybe not too many bright colors in the field, but still something unique  would be amazing.

I agree with Delems that Navy uniforms would be a great thing, especially for Navy players. Navy ground forces aren't supposed to be out in the field hiding anyway... they are more likely to be defending IN towns where the docks are... and none of the current uniforms exactly blend in in those towns as it is.

But at the current time, I don't see a lot of the concern... CRS needs an artist before they can look at much in the way of uniform changes.

S!

hillstorm
1 hour ago, Quincannon said:

OK, you have a point. But you also disregard certain valid points of others. Just because a  player is not ON the field as much as you think they SHOULD be, doesn't mean that they aren't up to date. It doesn't mean that they don't know exactly what is happening in the game.

Consider the folks that you might be talking about:

1. Volunteers actually working on the game. They have jobs AND they are doing development work. They probably have families. When are they supposed to run sorties for fun again?

2. People who get on the forums and Discord when they can, but they have to work and have responsibilities. They keep up with every change, and make the Rat Chats, but they just can't log in as much as they want.

3. People who, like Killemall, have second accounts so they can play in peace and on Discord on one account and can feel free to say what they want to say in the forums on another. That way they have the forum anonymity that they want. Maybe they don't want to have forum stuff affect their actual play time. A64m might not have a sortie for 6 months,   Pentamon might have 50, and Qahal might have 1000 in that amount of time. Are you going to say that A64, isn't up to date? because these are 3 of God how many accounts one guy has run , often all on the same night.

4. High Command players who actually focus on running the map. Guess what? You Can NOT take advantage of all of the High Command functions and be spawned in to the game.  Sure, you can use side chat. You can scroll out and try to get a feel for the whole map... but let's say you need to move two units on the map in two towns at the same time, or mess with two AOs at the same time. If you are sitting on the map... you can do this simultaneously.  But if you are spawned in... you are considered as being in one particular brigade. If you tell the system to move a particular brigade while you are spawned in.. you can do that... but the system only allows ONE such command at a time, as it registers that you are telling the brigade you are in to take that action. So you have to wait for that command to be accepted and them completed by the system. This can take a few minutes... anywhere from 2-5 minutes per command or more... And you can't despawn. If you despawn the system cancels that command. (You can get killed, but you still can't despawn).

So, in my experience, there are any number of HC Officers, who, when logging in and taking the map... realize that they might well not really be able to actually run a single sortie that day. And some of them play a LOT. In the past I have seen HC guys who left HC because they were spending a load of hours in game without actually being able to spawn in and play.

Sortie numbers are a really inaccurate indicator of a player's activity in this game.

S!S!S!

Quincannon, I always appreciate your perspective, and those are valid points. 

1. No doubt, volunteers who are working on the game are certainly committed to it, you're right. 

2. Yes, but reading the message board and CRS updates is not a substitute for being in game. And I would  suggest that someone who hasn't played in a considerable amount of time (months or years) might be doing the game more harm than good if they influence changes to gameplay. Not always, but in some cases. And I won't weigh their opinion on a gameplay issue as much as I would someone's who has played recently and plays regularly. 

3. Absolutely right.

4. Also absolutely right. If you're HC, you're committed to the game, no question about that.

I also want to clarify one thing. I'm not saying anyone *should* play any particular amount, or at all. I realize my post would entirely give that impression, but really we all know for ourselves how much we can or want to play.

I actually play very little, compared to others I see online. The game needs players, we know that; but for each individual it's entirely a personal choice. Whether you play, however, affects how informed your opinion is by what's actually happening. That's all. 

Edited by hillstorm
  • Like 1

Quincannon
25 minutes ago, hillstorm said:

I also want to clarify one thing. I'm not saying anyone *should* play any particular amount, or at all. I realize my post would entirely give that impression, but really we all know for ourselves how much we can or want to play.

I actually play very little, compared to others I see online. The game needs players, we know that; but for each individual it's entirely a personal choice. Whether you play, however, affects how informed your opinion is by what's actually happening. That's all. 

I apologize if I misspoke regarding your thoughts regarding how much anyone should play.

I am not trying to invalidate your point about how much import the views of people who are not active players should receive in comparison to those who are currently active. The concept has some merit.

MY point, as I said, was that a person's number of sorties is not an accurate indicator of how active they are. Using that as a metric more likely to make you sound less credible.

I like the diversity of opinions... maybe someone who comes back after along time can remind us of things that we don't see in the current day to day. I fully believe that some of the things that were in game years ago might make the game better if they were reintroduced and reworked to fit the current game. Everyone's outlook and opinion are vital for us to hear if we want this game to survive for another 20 years. There are a lot of ideas and opinions that might never come to fruition... but if they are never presented they definitely won't. And I think we need all the good people and ideas we can get.

S!S!S!