Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

BMBM

Who here wants a real tank battle?

BMBM

Not your standard point-to-point conga line penny-packet BS but a REAL one, with sectors and phase lines on a regimental scale? Where players engage in UNITS from troop/zug to squadron/kompanie and up? Where you have your defined task and don't go blundering out on a death-or-glory one-man charge? Where, as long as you work as a team, your flanks are solid?

And as add-on, where we have zugs/troops of armored cars actually working as a forward screen ready to retire, where batteries of anti-tank guns are actually used as they're supposed to? 

Where infantry must perforce sit in the back and where air and anti-air is so balanced as to not blow everything to smithereens?

• Like 1

Kidd27

hi! im kidd27

smiles are my favourite

Kilemall
6 hours ago, BMBM said:

Not your standard point-to-point conga line penny-packet BS but a REAL one, with sectors and phase lines on a regimental scale? Where players engage in UNITS from troop/zug to squadron/kompanie and up? Where you have your defined task and don't go blundering out on a death-or-glory one-man charge? Where, as long as you work as a team, your flanks are solid?

And as add-on, where we have zugs/troops of armored cars actually working as a forward screen ready to retire, where batteries of anti-tank guns are actually used as they're supposed to? 

Where infantry must perforce sit in the back and where air and anti-air is so balanced as to not blow everything to smithereens?

Tease.

BMBM

Only doable with a completely new spawn mechanism or as a scripted scenario event. 

stankyus
3 minutes ago, BMBM said:

Only doable with a completely new spawn mechanism or as a scripted scenario event. 

Lay down the mechanics.

If we are talking batch spawning and the such, it will have to take into account player numbers.

ZEBBEEE

I always wondered if we could somehow use back the old training missions (skirmishes) and the Old Grouped spawn-in timer to achieve this. 

jwilly

WWIIOL II: Kursk, Prokhorovka, Arracourt, Brody, Hannut, Raseiniai, Arras

jwilly
27 minutes ago, ZEBBEEE said:

I always wondered if we could somehow use back the old training missions (skirmishes) and the Old Grouped spawn-in timer to achieve this. 

Or resurrect Rapid Assault. Group spawn-ins, battle-specific maps, rougher terrain. What's not to like?

BMBM

Sidi Rezegh, Zem-Zem, Medjez-el-Bab...

sideout
52 minutes ago, BMBM said:

oooooh north afrika...............

ZEBBEEE
6 minutes ago, sideout said:

oooooh north afrika...............

Less bushes can only result in more combined arms tactics, for sure. 

sideout

88s out in the desert................matty busters!

Obelix1

With Report/phase lines, Line of departure, H hour? use of RECCE vehicles to spot the vanguard.

jwilly
1 hour ago, BMBM said:

We discussed in the old Design/Beta Forum about doing a WWIIOL Libyan tileset and then map.

The supply mechanics would need work, even more than they do for BoF. The tiles would need to be significantly smaller to permit sufficiently rough terrain modulations within the limitations of Creator. A way of modeling dust clouds, and a functional night, would be needed. Other than that, though, North Africa 1941 would be pretty easily brought up once the map existed, with lots of existing modeling re-usable and mostly some Italian modeling to be done, plus eventually short-pants infantry uniforms.

2000px-WesternDesertBattle_Area1941_en_s

WWIIOL%20North%20Africa%20Battle%20Area%

(My good friends at Photobucket sold me a premium account to eliminate the watermarking...ummm, hey Photobucket, is this a difficult concept for you?)

fidd

I would absolutely love to see this come to pass. No bloody 1.26 jungle, long site-lines, virtually nil risk of being sapped, "up the blue", making tea in petrol and sand-filled "flimsies", refighting Kidney Ridge, Tobruk, Alamein. Desert-cammed aircraft and tanks. We also need some Ambulances to try to do an "Ice cold in Alex" (one of the best British war-films ever made)

DROOL!

blggles

Yes, but whats this all about?

ML spawning is a good grouping mechanism, within certain parameters of course.

jwilly
56 minutes ago, fidd said:

virtually nil risk of being sapped

Heh. Obviously I'm totally in agreement on how a North African map would be great. However, as a side point, it was in Libya that the Germans first fielded their HHL1...the first generation of the tank-attachable HEAT weapon that CRS calls a "HEAT sapper charge" and provides to everyone.

So, watch out when tank-attacking a German infantry position there. :DS!

panzerhandmine005.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYd1S95LAO4xWLKkyEPTv

main-qimg-abebb981abe29d1e4f428dd45a548d

c25a6fe881c70ba33d041ecbea347d4f.jpg

Dre21

Would that not be possible already  use the far south of the map during intermission, lock everything ,open up 2 towns only Armor spawnable  figure out which Armor VS Armor is the most even and let's go at it. 

Been after something like that for awhile now just like an all out FMB battle between Breskens and Vlissingen .  Or other Navy towns that are close to each other. 

And please stay away from Rapid Assault , that idea comes out again I'm done.

daokoth1

I would think I was dreaming of this happened. But man, I am all out totally for it. 

ZEBBEEE
On 10/27/2020 at 4:57 PM, BMBM said:

Which spawn mechanics could that be? :)

BMBM

Group spawn with GM override.

jwilly
On 10/28/2020 at 10:58 AM, dre21 said:

please stay away from Rapid Assault , that idea comes out again I'm done.

Heh.

Everyone's in favor of historically interesting scenarios and battles.

Everyone wants faster development of more varied, more realistic terrain.

Everyone wants group spawning as a scenario option.

But Rapid Assault...oh, horrors!...which was designed specifically to accomplish all of the above, with the same models and mechanics and mix of realism and playability as the campaign game, available in parallel with the campaign game, is a Terrible Idea. :)

Edited by jwilly

blakeh
45 minutes ago, jwilly said:

Heh.

Everyone's in favor of historically interesting scenarios and battles.

Everyone wants faster development of more varied, more realistic terrain.

Everyone wants group spawning as a scenario option.

But Rapid Assault...oh, horrors!...which was designed specifically to accomplish all of the above, with the same models and mechanics and mix of realism and playability as the campaign game, available in parallel with the campaign game, is a Terrible Idea. :)

only terrible in that it would split the player base between rapid assault and the campaign to the point that neither would be playable.  It would likely have to be a one or the other scenario.

TEX64

You would have to have some pretty tight and enforceable rules . . . if a platoon takes 40% (example) casualties on an assault . . . they can't move forward even to suicide assault.  Until they are augmented to supply their options are to hold and lose more peeps OR retreat / reconstitute with newly spawned players and move out again . . . as a UNIT.  Almost like a board game - I'm not opposed to listening to such ideas at all.

There are just important pieces to work out, that's all. :)