Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

frogdeth

The return of rooftops (and a suggestion).

frogdeth

So CRS is bringing back fire escapes to allow rooftop access again.  Man, I missed those things, so good work there!

I also remember the endless sniper battles that happened up there, and while they were fun there was one issue - it turned into a Wild West quickdraw contest because on the perfectly flat landscape of rooftops victory just went to whoever got the first shot off, because cover wasn't a thing.

Thus my suggestion: Let's make cover a thing.

How?  Easy - Just enable PPOs to be placed on rooftops.  Yes, even spawn points (untouchable?  nah, that's what aircraft are for, and boy will they be easy pickings for planes).  Let us stick some sandbags on the edges and some barbed wire to keep the enemy from accessing our little patch of cement and let the fun commence.

Otherwise it's just going to be exactly the same as it used to be, which in all honesty wasn't anywhere near as fun as it could have been.

Dre21

How do you plan on getting a Truck up on a roof top? 

Cause INF placed Spawnpoints have been rejected by the player base .

Reason for that INF placed Spawnpoints make rivers and other nature barricades useless. 

Bridges become useless , there is a reason why troops blew bridges to prevent troop movement and  to great a choke point , with INF placed spawnpoints that goes by the wayside.

• Like 1

tater

That or any improved buildings get parapets, etc.

As much as I like roof access, it's a plus and minus for actual gameplay.

drkmouse

miss roof tops, yes roof with  vetns/ water towers etc for cover would be a plus

• Like 1

Jsilec

Tatonka will not like this since he has had sole possession of the roof spot for years now

• Like 2

vituixman

The best improvement in this game was the end of tree monkeying.

The second best was the end of access to roof tops. 
If it comes back, it makes camping of ABs easy just by placing 2 -3 snipers on roof tops.

Dre21
8 hours ago, vituixman said:

The best improvement in this game was the end of tree monkeying.

The second best was the end of access to roof tops. 
If it comes back, it makes camping of ABs easy just by placing 2 -3 snipers on roof tops.

Take buildings down via the CS tanks and no more roof tops.

• Like 1

Kilemall
12 minutes ago, dre21 said:

Which is a relevant problem with any sort of PPO setup- you would have to have a simultaneous despawn of any of that on top of the roof along with bombing or other HE taking down the building.  Sounds like way more programming unless there are other situations that's desirable then just roof snipers.

Fixed roof obstacles would be the only way that isn't pie in the sky.

foe2

personally I feel it would be better if more buildings were enterable with windows rather than roof access via fire escapes.  That would be far more like a European city.

• Like 1

tater

Roof play is fun for the reason that if you get up on a roof due to rare conditions that allow it, people don't look if you are careful about shoot and scoot from view. Once people are conditioned to look, it's less successful. Also, we will then see people on the one roof, then jumping to others.

The fall damage for inf needs to be FAR more harsh. Jumping off a roof to the ground needs to make you combat ineffective. Like steeple to church roof? Some damage. Church roof (lowest point) to ground? You're useless or dead.  When towns get bombed and inf at all over all the rooftops it's fairly annoying from the standpoint of controlling an area, also, you get to get camped in the depot from odd angles. Can;t look out a window to get the lay of the land without a close gunshot killing you. As I said above, plusses and minuses.

jwilly
On 11/8/2020 at 12:35 PM, foe2 said:

personally I feel it would be better if more buildings were enterable with windows rather than roof access via fire escapes.  That would be far more like a European city.

+10

jwrona
On 11/8/2020 at 6:15 PM, dre21 said:

You driven an allied CS lately? 20-something rounds into some buildings and NADA. Spawn depot? 3-4 shots. Cap building? about 15. but otherwise... sad.

Kilemall
1 hour ago, jwrona said:

You driven an allied CS lately? 20-something rounds into some buildings and NADA. Spawn depot? 3-4 shots. Cap building? about 15. but otherwise... sad.

Tried Matty AND Char?

TEX64

Last night I started working on the 7.5cm Stug3B 'building destruction' catalogue . . . . 48 HE rounds to destroy the church  versus 20 HE when using the StuH42's 10.5cm Howitzer.

Earlier this map in Tier 0, when we had MANHAY AB under siege for what seemed like hours, I parked a Stug3B on a hill overlooking the AB, used an ammo box for resupply and commenced to demo'ing buildings for better line of sight for recon AND suppression as I lobbed rounds into the AB.  I didn't get a lot of kills but I was using that platform in its designed role, supporting the ground troops, denying the enemy a higher vantage point to intercept our infantry and call out incoming targets, etc.  THAT was quite satisfying.

!S,

tex

jwilly
35 minutes ago, TEX64 said:

...I parked a Stug3B on a hill overlooking the AB, used an ammo box for resupply and commenced to demo'ing buildings for better line of sight for recon AND suppression as I lobbed rounds into the AB. (...) I was using that platform in its designed role, supporting the ground troops, denying the enemy a higher vantage point to intercept our infantry and call out incoming targets, etc.  THAT was quite satisfying.

+10  S!