Welcome to the virtual battlefield, Guest!

World War II Online is a Massively Multiplayer Online First Person Shooter based in Western Europe between 1939 and 1943. Through land, sea, and air combat using a ultra-realistic game engine, combined with a strategic layer, in the largest game world ever created - We offer the best WWII simulation experience around.

sublimesw

How Hard is it to Model/Create Textures?

sublimesw

Dear CRS Staff,

I was wondering how hard it was to model new vehicles and pieces for the game. I recently got into editing for Half Life 1, a game modification called "Digital Paintball Redux," where I created many of the professional paintball fields used in circuits today. Hammer Editor was super hard to learn, and a pain in the [censored], but I managed to learn it on my own.

Maybe this is beyond my reach--I am definitely not a coder. But I did learn how to create textures and shapes in the Hammer. Just curious. You can see some of the fields I made for that game in this trailer (which I also created):

fidd

I'll pitch in a few bucks if you make the Stg44 fire "paint-balls" for a week! <grin>

sublimesw

LOL. I used to play in the tournaments during my teens and early 20s, so I have a bit of nostalgia. I frankly think that modeling and texturing in this game is probably way more complicated than the Hammer editor, but was curious.

Unfortunately, that Half Life game mod is pretty dead. Even though they released it on Steam, and gained some players, it's limited to a clique of about 30 or 40 guys who always play during the same central time zone, so I just gave up on it. I did have fun making the fields, though. Paintball is an interesting sort of adrenaline chess game, with a lot of physical and technical skill involved, if you're playing at the tournament level.

sublimesw

@fiddIf you want to see what the games are like at the tournament level, check out this clip. The cameraman really got in there and captured what the streams of paint are like. You usually can't see them well on the NXL Paintball (today's national league) webcasts, with their overhead views . . . part of the problem with making paintball spectator-friendly.

warspite

This game doesn't have its own tool for creating models and textures, they can be made using any available program such as 3d studio max or Maya or photoshop for the textures. 

After creation the models then have to go through another program to turn them into the correct format for this game, they also have to have a lot of specific work done to them to set everything up. 

Kilemall

FYI, paintball was part of the WWIIOL official conventions.