Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
micbal

The Greatest Military Commander In History.

145 posts in this topic

This is the very first line of the thread' date=' mate. So which is it? Nominate candidates or just name the 2-3 people in history that are recognized as the best ever? I'm sorry I ruined your thread, mate.[/quote']

You haven't ruined anything. Very nice examples were given. Good choices of nominees. I just have to remember that the forums are a part of the game too. Often would be good to see some reason on these forums, but it is just a game. People come home tired, visit "off topic" and post whatever comes to their heads, first thing.

I am guilty to spill some that have been accumulating for a very long time. Probably just people I dealt with or just me trying to think that caused that :). Sorry. Wrong.

Do not forget the biggest ennemy of napoleon, the AMIRAL NELSON !!

If Napoleon were the master on ground, NELSON were the master at sea......

Stelteck.

Do not forget the biggest ennemy of napoleon, the AMIRAL NELSON !!

If Napoleon were the master on ground, NELSON were the master at sea......

Stelteck.

Daring and innovative too. He is one of the men who changed the history.

Yep' date='can't forget market garden mistakes.[/quote']

They should have listened to gene hackman!

The Ghur-mans are coming! the Ghur-mans are coming!

what criteria do you use to find a 'greatest general' a mix of things but i would say things like. Defeating an enemy superior in numbers and equipment, not once but several times. Being given command of an army in trouble and turning it around making into an effective force. Innovating, using different unorthodox methods and tactics to achieve victory.

Simply 'winning' does not make a great general.

Montgomery was good but i could never call him great. His victory at Alamein was just sheer weight of numbers against an already severely depleted German\Italian opponent.

Patton?? what did he ever do that was so 'great'?

Rommel, again good but not great. His command of the 7 Panzer Division in France was outstanding. Some of his victories in the desert were good too but he got pushed back several times himself.

Monty, Patton and Rommel i suspect all turn up here for the same reason, the cult of personality. That's what they were really good at. PR.

Lee and Jackson, now there's a couple of worthy candidates.

How about this for a WWII British general. Bill Slim, commander of the 14th Army. Truly one of the forgotten great generals of WWII.

Yes they were, but from '41 onwards the German had 70% (if not more) of it's total armed forces on the eastern front, so this can not only be said about Montgomery, but also Patton, Bradley, Eisenhower, ect, as they were fighting a German Force that was 1/3 it's full operational state

Operation market garden

-Ignored enemy streght and position.

You can't just blame Montomgery on this without blaming allied intellegence in general.

Closer to 90-95% of the Wehrmacht were stationed on the eastern front.

Mansa Musa

This dude always beats me in CIV IV so he has to be the best commander off all time.

:)

what criteria do you use to find a 'greatest general' a mix of things but i would say things like. Defeating an enemy superior in numbers and equipment, not once but several times. Being given command of an army in trouble and turning it around making into an effective force. Innovating, using different unorthodox methods and tactics to achieve victory.

Simply 'winning' does not make a great general.

Montgomery was good but i could never call him great. His victory at Alamein was just sheer weight of numbers against an already severely depleted German\Italian opponent.

Patton?? what did he ever do that was so 'great'?

Rommel, again good but not great. His command of the 7 Panzer Division in France was outstanding. Some of his victories in the desert were good too but he got pushed back several times himself.

Monty, Patton and Rommel i suspect all turn up here for the same reason, the cult of personality. That's what they were really good at. PR.

Lee and Jackson, now there's a couple of worthy candidates.

How about this for a WWII British general. Bill Slim, commander of the 14th Army. Truly one of the forgotten great generals of WWII.

Agree with the the principles to decide. Lee and Jackson, something the most of the WW2OL public is familiar with. The Mongols are unbeatable, of all I know of, if you take away the generals-administrators.

I noticed that nothing can be sold in America unless it has word "American" on it. "American Werewolf in London", "American Ninja vol." are the most interesting examples, the 1st is the best from a point of view of the title to sell; if it made in China, US patents numbers must be on. With the notable exception of the cars, these days.

I nominate Chuck Norris

Well, well. He could win. If more girls played WW2OL, Van Damme would have better chances, many think he is kinda cute. Chuck Norris got much worse chances. If the teenage girls voted in numbers, Leo Di Caprio would rule the States. Who knows... . Imagine, Leo Di Caprio as the CinC of the US Armed Forces.... . His re-election and the second term guaranteed... . He'd always have more than 51% rating of approval... . And WILL be the most beloved american president.

Well' date=' well. He could win. If more girls played WW2OL, Van Damme would have better chances, many think he is kinda cute. Chuck Norris got much worse chances. If the teenage girls voted in numbers, Leo Di Caprio would rule the States. Who knows... . Imagine, Leo Di Caprio as the CinC of the US Armed Forces.... . His re-election and the second term guaranteed... . He'd always have more than 51% rating of approval... . And WILL be the most beloved american president.[/quote']

Well, diCaprio as president wouldn't be much worse than the current US administration.

Eisenhower

Administering that mess that was D-Day, setting up a chain reaction that could not really be controlled, that took balls. Plus forcing the navy, airforce, and army to cooperate. Bloody miracle he got ahold of the bombers, sadly they didn't hit all the beaches but putting something together like that...I don't think any other commander can come close.

Georgi Zhukov was the best general of the Second World war and perhaps of all time - the only other general who was close to his ability was Manstein.

I can't help but feel that those people advocating Patton are not just shouting for their own as it were. Patton was undoubtedly one of the best of the western allies but compared to Zhukov I think he wasn't up there.

Zhukov was undefeated and his abilities were tested at times when the German army was still at its strongest and he faced the strongest forces of the Axis unlike Patton.

Zhukov was undefeated . . . . .

Not entirely true. Look for info on Operation Mars.

Dont have much info on ancient and earlier times.. but in modern times it would have to be EVM...

france -- great plan

early barbarosa -- 100 miles in 2 days?

stalingrad -- came rather close to rescueing 6th army, if hitler let them out possibly saving them

op saturn -- he succesful stopped saturn eventhou the soviets had a total numbers advantage

khrakov 3-- after saturn, one of the greatest victories of all time

kursk -- his southern units had the russians on the run, northern flank and husky stopped all hopes of a possible vicotry

after kursk he did a great job a "Retreating" against all great odds he gave a good fight and slowed the russians well.. korsun etc...

dude was great, he had a better plan for kursk timeframe, but hitler was foolish.

Wellington......he wipped old Napoleon. He invented a whole set of new tactics and strategys. Went on to be Prime Minister at the height of the British Empire.

However know one has mentioned Ghengis Khan. This guy conquered pretty much everything in Asia and got to the gates of Europe before his army was ravaged by VD! He conquered China, Russia, Persia and down into India. He got almost to the gates of Viena I think alas my pre-17th Century history is a bit flakey.

Lots of worthy candidates have already been mentioned.

I'm surprised Ahun was the only one to mention Lee. I'll toss Thomas J. Jackson in there as well. Ghengis Khan too.

DING DING DING! We have a winner!

First we need to clarify whether we're talking "Battlefield commander" i.e. a tactical guy or a strategical commander.

If we're talking more along the lines of a tactical commander then Thomas Jackson has to be considered one of the greatest in history.

Lee was an incredibly adept strategical commander with strong tactical sense, but Jackson was the engine that drove Lee's tactical victories over and over again.

Medieval, I'd have to vote for Henry V, for Agincourt alone. What a stunning victory that was.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0