• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
muddawg1

Xanthus's WWIIOL Settings Guide

17 posts in this topic

BUMMMPTY BUMP!!!!!

Thanks Xan for all the info. I have heard all the settings before, but I thought it was really kewl that you did but a "ohh..thats what that does" twist..C ya on the field.

S!

Added this bit to the Sound section:If you have too many sounds enabled in WWII Online Settings, then it will dramatically eat away your CPU power. For example, if you have a SoundBlaster Live, and you're running only 32 sounds in 3D mode, then it will use about 400Mhz of your CPU power.

If you want to see how much of your processor is being used to generate sounds (2d and 3d), use Audio Winbench or RightMark 3D: http://www.veritest.com/benchmarks/auwinbench/default.asp

http://audio.rightmark.org/download.shtml

Like I said, if even one person finds this info useful, then I succeeded!

S!

I have!

Note= its Pixel shader 1.4 and below (although i think your getting into voodoo banshee's) that cant use the water shaders. as far as Nvidia cards

FX 5500 and up i know Have Pixel shader 2.0 family 6 cards have 3.0 although some of the 6600GT's have PS 2.0 although these still can render the "pretty water"

And settings "Flat" "Gouraud" "Phong" , change it , increase FPS ?

I'm newb, french (sorry for my english) and i have a very little "machine"

Aware, those basically talk about how the color and textures are blended in on each side or facet or each triangle.

Problem is I don't recall which is the highest setting, but if you have a video card made in the last 3 or 4 years you should be able to handle the highest setting.

Flat is surely the lowest, probably means one color no blending. Gouraud at one time was highest, Phong is also more advanced than flat. But I forget whether Phong or Gouraud is highest, I thought it was Gouraud, but probably its the default selected one.

Just about every video card around can play Quake 2 / Half Life 1 or better. If yours can play that or Unreal 1 fine, you surely can use whichever setting you prefer. Again it has something to do with how the colors, lighting, and textures are blended to make the triangle on each side or a 3 dimensional object look more rounded or curved and less blocky. Think of it as like a person using hatch marks or shadows and similarly color hues darkened at the edges to make a soccer ball look more like a perfect sphere etc.

That's off an old memory and not meant to answer an exam question. I'm sorry I don't remember which is the highest setting, I'd be surprised if it isn't the default one chosen however. You'd have to have a very old (4 year plus ) video card for a lowered choice to really be useful, although you can always try them out and see, be an interesting experiment.

Wow, that system checker is a class site.

I have always wondered about the stuff in my start up file - occasionally I disable a lot of it - but never sure what it all does especially the oddly named stuff |(Obviosuly I dont disable my virus stuff, not that stupid...or am i!)

Thanks for the usefull hints and info!

well i havent played yet beacuse the screen come up upside down:confused: .so can some1 help me quick!!!!!!im geting madd!:mad:

plzzzz hellp and privaly post back?i would like that:D

!!!!!TY!!!!!

(any way this can be added to my original post?)

UPDATED OPTIONS for v.1.22+:

VIDEO:

- Noframerunahead has been removed from the options, possibly because enabling it causes too dramatic a loss in FPS. Now that WWIIOL uses a new infantry predictor/movement code, the affects of this setting may be slightly different. It can be found in your WWIIOL.cfg file; you can type "true" or "false" next to it. "True" will stop framerunahead, and "false" will keep framerunahead.

Experiment with each and see what is preferable for you.

SPECIAL FX:

- Clearviewport has been removed. I believe it is now enabled by default and cannot be changed.

VISUAL / VISUAL LIMITS:

Water Reflections- This option will enable realistic reflections in the water, that are fairly subtle but add immersion and realism. These can cause significant reduction in FPS, particularly when you are around bodies of water. However, the FPS impact can be influenced by the next setting...

Time between updates (seconds)- This is the amount of seconds inbetween reflection updates on the water surface....0 is real-time (meaning you will see the reflection of a tank crossing a bridge in real-time for example), and 5 means it will take 5 seconds inbetween each reflection update.

For the purposes of ambience, the difference is nearly unnoticable between 0 and 5, and 5 will give you a large FPS gain.... Though when individual objects, even clouds, move, it can reduce the realism because their reflections are not updated on the surface in real time. Adjust to taste and experiment to see which option works best for you.

Post Render Filter- Originally controversial in its initial implementation, this filter has been heavily tweaked, and now in my own opinion it basically adds a lighting effect to the game which simulates realistic sun lighting, and the "glow" that this lighting causes when it is cast on objects. Enabling this filter will make the game environment appear more realistic; day time will appear like a sunny day, and at night time the moon will glow eerily casting a light blue-ish glow on the ground. In my opinion, the game looks far more realistic with it on than off. In my testing, I had no noticable FPS impact with it on or off.

Enable grass shaders- This causes the new tall grass/flowers to appear more realistic in the light, and adds to realism. The difference may not be noticable, and there may be a slight FPS impact; adjust to taste.

Normal Maps- This adds a very cool effect to almost all brick buildings and surfaces. The bricks will appear to be slightly 3D, with each brick having high definition, jutting slightly outward. It greatly adds to realism and is a very nice visual effect, though it may or may not be that noticable to your eyes. It does have an FPS impact, though the impact may be very slight depending on your hardware.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0