Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Online Config Help Guide

38 posts in this topic

NOTE: THIS THREAD IS MOSTLY OBSOLETE WITH 1.25. I WILL UPDATE IT ONCE 1.25 SETTLES DOWN.

I decided to put my config guide online to make it easier to update. Eventually I think it will go to a rat hosted location, but for now this url will do. Note it is a work in progress, just getting started. Post questions, comments or notes on this sticky.

http://awulf.kattare.com/help/help.html

Might take a while to load on a modem, eventually I will make it smaller.

OK, its more-or-less done for a first pass. Please let people know about it. Also, if any knows French, German, Italian or Spanish and would like to translate please let me know or send it to GOPHUR.

Wow thanks.

It was evil that still no explanation for "radical clutter" or "enable specular" :)

Besides them, I will die from curiousity that what is "anti aliasing" on "Visual". Especially after FSAA in first tab introduced.

What it anti aliases and why there is such setting if FSAA setting there...

Outstanding work, thanks a million!

Using the settings you reccomended (for the most part, I left some FX options off), I'm getting record high FPS, 50-20.

Time to play with the FSAA and see if I can more out of it... In some games with high end ATI cards you actually get *faster* rendering with FSAA on and at high levels... strange but true.

Anyway, well done, and I'll be watching for updates!

Found this useful since the names of graphic cards are obscure and no longer indicate how powerful the card is (remember the good ole' days of teh Voodoo I, Voodoo II, etc?) :)

I couldn't paste the information here, it took up more than this message board would allow... If the link doesn't work I'll post it here and break it into 2 posts.

http://ubbforums.ubi.com/showflat.php?Cat=8&Board=sb_support_mac&Number=2333509&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

Found this useful since the names of graphic cards are obscure and no longer indicate how powerful the card is (remember the good ole' days of teh Voodoo I, Voodoo II, etc?) :)

I couldn't paste the information here, it took up more than this message board would allow... If the link doesn't work I'll post it here and break it into 2 posts.

http://ubbforums.ubi.com/showflat.php?Cat=8&Board=sb_support_mac&Number=2333509&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

I get access denied. Send the html to me at ahwulf at gmail.com and I'll host it.

Thing is, if you give up FPS for some features (to points of 30fps), you get excellent display of scene.

For example if Matrox Released Perhelia series on Macintosh, I wouldn't wait a second to buy. Does it have "amazing FPS"? No. It hardly hits 40fps but you get 10bit per channel acceleration, realtime "matrix" colour correction and an opengl driver optimized for accuracy,not speed.

Sadly these fps racing thing made couple of great companies out of business. Matrox still exists since they gave up "gaming" cards and focused on above features for professionals.

Still, G550 was/is a great card on PC.

Shamelessly stolen from Pirate07 post in Barracks:

"Radial clutter has no effect on trees or bushes. It turns of the little tufts of grass and junk on the ground around you. Not the big ones, but the very small ones. The biggest deal about radial clutter is that if you're lying prone you might have one get in your line of sight, otherwise it wouldn't affect you at all. They certainly aren't big enough to hide behind."

"Radial clutter has no effect on trees or bushes. It turns of the little tufts of grass and junk on the ground around you. Not the big ones' date=' but the very small ones. The biggest deal about radial clutter is that if you're lying prone you might have one get in your line of sight, otherwise it wouldn't affect you at all. They certainly aren't big enough to hide behind."[/quote']

Interesting... I wonder what the FPS hit for that is... It would be great if somebody got REALLY bored enough to test each config option in a controlled fashion and see how many frames they loose/gain and how worthy the effects are.

The exact FPS numbers would vary by machine, but should be relative to all macs.

I'd do it myself if the game didn't take 3 minutes to load :)

BTW, here's a performance tip for everyone:

Before launching, log yourself out via the Apple menu, and log back in w/o loading your dashboard or anything else before running WWIIOL. Also, make sure any other users are logged out.

This kills all user run background tasks and frees up the memory that they would occupy as well. About the same as restarting a PC more or less, exempt it only takes a few seconds.

While you're at it, check System Preferences: Accounts: Staturp Items tab for yourself and make sure that nothing is running at startup that you don't want. If you install a lot of apps frequently, it's amazing how quickly you'll wind up with background apps running the second you log in, and how much of a difference it can make in overall system responsiveness.

Brilliant, am more of a viasualist myself, so I got this part working...Yes am a stubborn man, am gonna try and see how the intel Mac holds up. Did pay for the bleeding game.......Btw, I also have an iBook G4 proc, but I dont think I can xfr this game onto that one untill I have got the iMac sorted out?

NOTE: On ati cards especially in 123.6, you can gain FPS by turning OFF the normal maps. I went from 9 bottom back to 13 again.

BTW, here's a performance tip for everyone:

Before launching, log yourself out via the Apple menu, and log back in w/o loading your dashboard or anything else before running WWIIOL. Also, make sure any other users are logged out.

Question: How do I log in without loading dashboard - it always seems to be on for me, and I get pretty bad fps. (as low as 3 with recent patch, and as high as 13 if I face AWAY from everyone at a low-occupied FB)

iMac

1.8 GHz Power PC G5

2 GB Ram

nvidia GeForce FX 5200

64MB VRAM

Question: How do I log in without loading dashboard - it always seems to be on for me' date=' and I get pretty bad fps. (as low as 3 with recent patch, and as high as 13 if I face AWAY from everyone at a low-occupied FB)[/quote']

Well, I dragged the icon off my dock to save room and use a hot-corner with the mouse to activate it. It shouldn't be active on its own on a fresh log-in. You either need to click the icon, press the function key, or active a hotcorner to actually load the widgets.

To double check this, log in and run Activity Monitor (set it to show "My Processes" in the pop-up). If you see no widgets, you're good to go. Do what you normally do to see your dashboard, and boom, there they are in Activity Monitor. Note your memory/CPU usage before and after :) It will also reveal any 3rd party background apps that may be sucking up CPU cycles or memory that you're unaware of.

ahh, i see chump, thanks. Mine is on my dock and it always has the little black arrow under it like apps do when they are running - so I thought it was "loaded" too - but I guess not.

I followed the sticky on what to turn off - turn on to help with fps and im still at very low. Whats weird is that I have had the same low fps a couple time before but not as unplayable as low. Game is very choppy now and the inf game is pretty much unplayable (takes a good second to second and a half for inf to respond to any change of weapon, screen looks like a stop-motion film, the usual bs)

So my question is, what can I change in the setting that will guarantee an fps boost even if it makes the game look like crap - cause thats where Im at now. Either do that, or quit. There is no reason to log in anymore like it is now. Is there any ONE thing or TWO important things that will help? (besides sound - which I HAVE to have at 64 otherwise sit awareness is worthless).

jackdnls, try my settings, my FPS sucks to and im trimmed them as low as i think it can go. One BIG help is to turn the ingame map off, that saves 3-5 FPS for me, also if you can live without chat window do that also, just turn it on and off when your safe to check things out. Gl, your not the only one suffering :)

---

shademode gouraud

bdithering true

bspecular false

texturereduction true

sound primary sound driver

bsoundenable true

b3dsoundenable true

video 1

resolution 1024x768x32x0

bnoframerunahead false

bnolocktorefresh true

gammared 1.000000

gammagreen 1.000000

gammablue 1.000000

bshowinfo true

shadowsizeselect 0

volumemultiplier 0.095930

musicmultiplier 0.000000

hudvisible 2

fogscaleselector 1

maxnumbersounds 32

suppressmuzzlesmoke false

suppressmuzzlelight false

suppresstracersmoke false

lodfieldofview true

lodlimitperframe true

bcursorenabled false

friendlycolor 65280

enemycolor -16777216

squadcolor -1376256

missioncolor 8388608

missionleadercolor -939462656

language 0

ambientlevel 0

radialclutter false

radialdensity 0.000000

radialradius 0.500000

visplayerlimit 2

fsaasamples 0

fsaahighquality false

soundhighquality true

soundforcestereo false

soundconvertonload true

capturealldisplays true

enableh2oshaders false

postrenderfilter false

grassshader true

normalmaps false

waterreflections false

reflectionupdate 0

wantmessagealert true

usenetworkroute 0

Thanks a lot for your help fundin - I will check this out tonight.

Also, I see people posting their setting and it comes through in a nice string like yours - looking like it was copy-pasted from something. Ive been just looking at each tab and writing it down, is there some pref files or something like that where I can copy the whole thing - or did you just write it all out by hand?

S!

fogscaleselector 1

capturealldisplays true

visplayerlimit 2

grassshader true

Setting player limit to 1 might help. Also, I'm not sure exactly what effect they had but I set caputure all displays and grassshader to false, and fogscale to 0. I have a higher end Mac but pull 70-20 FPS usually.

How much RAM do you have? That might help...

In the meantime, the focus of the next patch is going to be better graphics and faster rendering, which should benefit everyone.

jackdnls' date=' try my settings[/quote']

HOLY COW FUNDIN!!!

I just copy-pasted your settings over the top of mine and WHAM!

What a difference! Where I was getting 3fps to a high of 11 I am now in the high 20s to actually 31. I dont think I have EVER seen 31 fps in this game.

Amazing. I have been fiddling with the damn configurations forever trying to squeeze fps out and a simple copy-paste changes everything for the better in a matter of seconds. Im not sure what mixture of persistence and voodoo you have, but your settings cocktail is the right mix for me.

Thank you!! and a hearty S!

From one HAPPY JACK!

jOne BIG help is to turn the ingame map off' date=' that saves 3-5 FPS for me[/quote']

Remember you don't have to use Y to turn off the ingame map. After you spawn, if you hold down left-alt and click on the map it will change to a compass that doesn't use as much FPS.

Happy Jack, did you save your old config by any chance? It would be nice to compare the two to see what made all the difference.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0