• Announcements

• XOOM

Volunteer PHP Developer wanted to revive the Gazette!   07/24/2019

We're looking to properly revive the World@War Gazette and need a solid PHP developer to help take some work forward. If you have some skills with PHP and are looking for some experience and to bring important home page news / recognition for individual players back to WWII Online, I'd like to hear from you! Submit an inquiry to jobs@corneredrats.com with some details about your experience. You will need at least 10+ hours per week to contribute to the team. The Gazette's current status can be found here: https://www.wwiionline.com/resources#gazette
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Intel Macs

212 posts in this topic

Just as a reminder, the game runs on MacBooks and Intel iMacs but only under emulation, so expect lousy FPS at best. Eventually we will have a proper Intelified version. Please add your name to this sticky if you get such a beast, so when the time comes we have some beta folks.

I have an intel Mini for the next 2.5 months, once Rick can get some compiling done I can then do some testing. It shouldb't be hard, but has to fit in the Rat's schedule, which as you know is already way full.

Also note that the FPS you will get with an Intel version should be similar to the Intel Doom3, which has the same basic code layout as WWIIOL has.

Note that due to the limited video, the Mini is unlikely to be worth playing this game on, even with an Intel version. I should know soon :-)

Ready and willing to beta test on a Mac Mini Intel Core Duo 1.66 GHz 2GB RAM.

Not expecting too much from the mini, but will get a Mac/Intel desktop when they are released later this year.

Sign me on to the beta team, and I'll try to beat on my 2ghz intellimac until something works.

I don't have copious amounts of spare time, but I would like to help.

Lemme know.

I'm in - think voyager2 has also volunteered.

We both have 2G MacBook Pros maxxed out with 2G ram. There has to be a way for these systems to perform well. Count us in for helping to make that happen.

S!

VS

Just as a reminder, the game runs on MacBooks and Intel iMacs but only under emulation, so expect lousy FPS at best. Eventually we will have a proper Intelified version. Please add your name to this sticky if you get such a beast, so when the time comes we have some beta folks.

I have an intel Mini for the next 2.5 months, once Rick can get some compiling done I can then do some testing. It shouldb't be hard, but has to fit in the Rat's schedule, which as you know is already way full.

Also note that the FPS you will get with an Intel version should be similar to the Intel Doom3, which has the same basic code layout as WWIIOL has.

Note that due to the limited video, the Mini is unlikely to be worth playing this game on, even with an Intel version. I should know soon :-)

MacBook Pro 2giga maxed out ready for beta duty sir!!!

P.s. This thing is so gonna rock!!

Sign me up for beta duty, though I may be time restricted. macbook pro 2ghz, 2GB ram.

Oh ya..btw, the Macbook rocks! It's the purest refinement of the Apple laptop philosophy so far: clean design, thin, full performance, wide screen, etc. Every detail, from the backlit keys, glowing Apple logo, generous trackpad, flat metallic screws, no hard edges and so forth distill what was best in the past 5 years of Apple portables PLUS actual competitive horsepower to match the good looks. LOVE it.

Well it will be somewhat tricky in relation to the player base moving the code I suppose. Though for me when they move, hopefully I can get a new machine about that time, and make the switch. I assuming that the playability will be much better. There are many variables to this I know.

My tibook just broke a hinge and now I am faced with the immanent demise of my good old powerbook, even though it works, it's now less "road" worthy.

Guess we will see.

So is anyone actually running the game under rosetta? and how bad/good is it?

regards

elfin,

I am - have a MacBook Pro - 2G and max'ed out ram at 2G. I just upgraded from a 1G tibook...come in the waters warm, this MBP screams.

But, unfortunately WWIIOL does not run very well in rosetta emulation. In fact there is no difference in performance from my tibook - I'm getting 8-11fps with text box off and basic settings.

The good news is that the Rats are working on getting the Intel code shaped up and we'll get Doom3-like performance (hopefully). No timing from them tho...but this is not something they can put off given that Intel config is the future for all macs.

S!

VS

4 Wing - 416 Lynx

Started working the universal project. First library I compiled had problems which might be differences between compilers (VC vs GCC) so Rick will have to figure it out. I am sure there will be more as we move forward. The good news is that making a universal binary instead of two separate versions looks possible. It would make the download bigger (5MB, not a big deal I think) but might make things easier to update.

More as we go forward...

I'm all fired up just knowing that a universal update is in the works. I've been playing UT2004 and Doom3 patched. I've maxed out all my settings and it kicks butt. I have to agree that it si the future of mac. Having a 2gig macpro book with 256megs of video ram is amazing and running those games with everything turned on blows me away. Keep up the great work Rats I think you have alot of people on this thread for test pilots.

S!

VoyagerII

I have an Intel iMac 20", 256MB video, and 2GB of RAM. I would be

glad to assist with the beta testing.

Started working the universal project. First library I compiled had problems which might be differences between compilers (VC vs GCC) so Rick will have to figure it out. I am sure there will be more as we move forward. The good news is that making a universal binary instead of two separate versions looks possible. It would make the download bigger (5MB, not a big deal I think) but might make things easier to update.

More as we go forward...

Yes, keep it "universal" (multi CPU) executable. 5mb is not big deal even for 56k people.

Perhaps you can move to "Wise X" if it adds some meaningful features?

Well speedtree seems to be OK with a minor fix but granny (that does all the inf animation) needs a new version from the supplier, the code thinks its being compiled for a 68000 processor! We aren't the only granny customer, so I assume they will have an updated library that supports MACOSX + INTEL.

Well speedtree seems to be OK with a minor fix but granny (that does all the inf animation) needs a new version from the supplier' date=' the code thinks its being compiled for a 68000 processor! We aren't the only granny customer, so I assume they will have an updated library that supports MACOSX + INTEL.[/quote']

Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep up the great work. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait after what I've seen this baby do with Doom3.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Keep up the great work. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait after what I've seen this baby do with Doom3.

What FPS you getting with Doom3? It has the exact same performance issues as WWIIOL does on a mac.

What FPS you getting with Doom3? It has the exact same performance issues as WWIIOL does on a mac.

60fps maxed out settings on a 2gig MacPro Book with 2 gig ram. Unreal 2004 with universal update was even higher.

VoyagerII

Interesting tidbit on that on this link... Below the graphs there's a blurb about Doom 3 settings which make it run as fast or faster on a Macintel as it does on a G5. So maybe the same would be true for WWIIOL?

Those with a Macintel, please test and let us know!

http://www.barefeats.com/imcd.html

I REALLY hope that they do proceed with the adaptation to run native on Intel Macs - the vast majority of Mac owners want nothing to do with an MS/XP operating system/hybridizing their OS set-up. IMHO, Intel is the future for Mac....so getting WWIIOL configured to run Universal/native is in everyones best interest.

...I just hope it's soon :)

I expect we will still continue on the intel path, its not a big deal once you get it put together, you just compile like normal to get a uni binary. The major issue right now is getting the Granny library folks to give us an intel compileable version. After that its just playing around with a few settings and then a lot of testing. In the meantime people with a macintel at least have an option besides 7 fps under rosetta.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0