Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AHWULF

Intel Macs

212 posts in this topic

Antother thing, what FPS are you getting with the Omega Drivers on the MBP -2.0? I am getting about 15-17 in towns and 30-40 outside....in the clear. Thats on max/max settings - but thats similar to what my PC was getting with a radeon 9600. Any ideas, tweaks, or what settings are you using?

RATS: any news on unibin?

No word yet from the Granny folks on updating their code, which is the major blocker atm.

No word yet from the Granny folks on updating their code' date=' which is the major blocker atm.[/quote']

Perhaps if some of us players (as end consumers) write to them, it would light a bit of a fire under their a$$es. Let me know where they can be found, and I am sure some of us would write a few messages - if you consider it to be helpful. Thanks.

...I am sure some of us would write a few messages - if you consider it to be helpful. Thanks.

I'm in for a friendly push :)

Perhaps if some of us players (as end consumers) write to them' date=' it would light a bit of a fire under their a$$es. Let me know where they can be found, and I am sure some of us would write a few messages - if you consider it to be helpful. Thanks.[/quote']

Count me in for a Uber friendly push as well. I just can't bring myself to install a windoze platform on my new macpro book. It's like injecting yourself with cancer for no good reason!

VoyagerII

Perhaps if some of us players (as end consumers) write to them' date=' it would light a bit of a fire under their a$$es. Let me know where they can be found, and I am sure some of us would write a few messages - if you consider it to be helpful. Thanks.[/quote']

That or maybe a website where we can sign an online "petiton" of sorts and submit a massive community repsonse at once instead of hundreds of distracting emails...

Or maybe do the same thing here by starting a thread where appropriate requesting a Unibin and we all post to it.

But if you really want to pester, just pick your Rat (Gophur, Bable, Doc, bloo, KFS1, RickB, etc) and send them a private message through this board. Please keep in mind they are busy, and the more time they spend reading christmas lists and *****es, the less time they have to get their hands dirty with the code.

Keep me in mind for testing. I have the 17" MacBook Pro. Oh, I can answer your general mechanical questions about the portables via PM- I am one of the engineers who designed the MacBook and the MacBook Pro (still unsure about the name-change). Software, driver, and applications questions are likely to be met with a blank stare.

No nudge needed guys. I talked to the Granny people, (without naming names) and this is what I received:

------ Forwarded Message

Organization: RAD Game Tools, Inc.

Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 10:29:46 -0700

To: QCO

Subject: Re: Granny3D

Granny already works on the Intel/Mac. Do you have a need for a license for

it?

Mitch Soule

RAD Game Tools

Miles 7 now supports Ogg Vorbis

Bink - now for Nintendo DS

Granny for PS3 and PSP - check it out!

Bink Xbox and Xbox 360 with HDTV support now shipping!

http://www.radgametools.com

Tel: 425-893-4300 x 101 Fax: 425-609-2463

----- Original Message -----

To:

Sent: Tuesday, May 23, 2006 2:11 PM

Subject: Q: Granny3D

> Hi, any word on when the Granny engine will be available for universal

> binaries. (new intel mac compatible software) Thanks. John Tautu

>

>

>

>

> ___________________________________________________________

> $0 Web Hosting with up to 200MB web space, 1000 MB Transfer

> 10 Personalized POP and Web E-mail Accounts, and much more.

> Signup at www.doteasy.com

------ End of Forwarded Message

So what do you think rats????

Guess Rick needs to get it. Unfortunately my mac mini is going to my mom next week so I won't have an intelmac to work on.

Ahwulf, RickB and other tech interested people.

If you check http://unsanity.org (their blog) you may figure it is not just a "tick in XCode" to make stuff work in Mactels.

Steve Jobs fault. As guy is a PR genius, he showed the task so "easy" that everyone flames developers for not marking that tickmark (Intel)

You know, Unsanity stuff are working next to kernel, that low level. Everything made them late is: Apple didn't send the developer Mactel to Russia for months!

And later Russian customs gave the APE coder hell etc.

Well Rickb got Granny today, so at least one block is gone. However now I am handing my Intel mini over to my mom (it was her's but I got it early), so we're out a test machine again.

Hmm maybe we need to have a bake sale for the rats to encourage an Intel Mac purchase :-)

Well Rickb got Granny today, so at least one block is gone. However now I am handing my Intel mini over to my mom (it was her's but I got it early), so we're out a test machine again.

Hmm maybe we need to have a bake sale for the rats to encourage an Intel Mac purchase :-)

I suppose that an intelmac is necessary to test the code as its beeing updated? One can also manufacture an intel-mac from a bog standard PC, the specs are available online. If need be I can forward them to the interested parties.

Hmm...Am downloading the game, payed for it so it better works.
Runnin' on a Intel Mac 1.83 with 1GB mem.
Should do the trick so?

Dont run the current version on an intel mac under MacOSX (it will run but is unplayably slow, as it runs under emulation on Rosetta). Get BootCamp from the apple website, install Windows and run the PC version that way. You can then reboot back into MacOSX for everything else. Under windows the game runs very fast on everything but Minis where its only playable.

There isn't a Universal Binary version yet (don't know when).

Well if you are running Windows there are lots ;-) I would suggest AVG, as Symantec and MacAffee both stink bigtime. Windows viruses cant affect the MacOSX side so no worries about cross-infection. When you run Windows on a Mac you are running ... Windows. Protect thyself!

Well if you are running Windows there are lots ;-) I would suggest AVG' date=' as Symantec and MacAffee both stink bigtime. Windows viruses cant affect the MacOSX side so no worries about cross-infection. When you run Windows on a Mac you are running ... Windows. Protect thyself![/quote']

Thats all to much of a hassle to be honest. (The cost is not worth it, XP 80 bucks, virus scanner 49,95 updates, 19,95, nah).

Its a shame though, it looks great..

But...I cant even get graphics to work when actually in the game, whaz that all bout?

And when is this game gonna be battle ready for intel Macs you think?

Btw, Apple are a**holes, I used to work for the feckers. They dont give a toss about their customers, unless high end. Hence the release of the intel Macs.

Btw' date=' Apple are a**holes, I used to work for the feckers. They dont give a toss about their customers, unless high end. Hence the release of the intel Macs.[/quote']

Nope, we uncaring "feckers and a**holes" don't care at all. Nope, we struggled to deliver the Intel products six months before industry expectations because we knew that the improved performance didn't matter at all to our customers. We could have just waited the six months (incidentally about when rumor-sites claim that Intel should be delivering a lower power chipset) rather than struggling to cool almost 90 watts of power in a thin portable enclosure. We forced lower power-saving modes compared to every other manufacturer to extend battery life just so customers using the portables had to suffer longer while using our products. We delayed the MacBooks and the Minis as long as we possibly could to force more people to buy the more expesnsive MacBook Pro product.

We travel constantly to Asia because we just love China's industrial zones and the fine cuisine (seasoned with the delicate aroma of leaded fuel) that can only be experienced there. In fact, we spend extra hours every week just plotting ways to screw over the customers (we originally intended that the Ipod would give electric shocks whenever the customer touched it, but we screwed that design up too.). We generally sign over our patents to the company willingly (rather than hiding the idea and starting our own companies as engineers tend to do elsewhere) because we are too stupid to succeed anywhere else. We sweat tolerances to 0.05mm because bigger numbers are too hard for us. We do our own design in-house rather than relying on engineers in Taiwan/China because we prefer having conference calls in foreign languages until 10 PM to ensure that the design intent is understood.

No, Apple isn't perfect - largely because we must work with the same vendor base as the rest of the industry while trying to control cosmetic reveals and tolerance stackups much tighter. Imagine trying to get a separate company to TRULY internalize quality control and cosmetic impact when every other computer company just screams at them about quantity shoved out the door per hour. We also have such an understanding customer base... they only want lighter, faster, smaller, full-featured, easier-to-use, cheaper products with bigger displays that run cooler while having no fan noise. Oh, and of course, they must double as works of art. We must be incompetent that we keep missing such an easy target.

Since you used the word "feckers"and the phrase "give a toss", are you from the UK/Ireland? I doubt that you are old enough to have worked in the last production plant we had there. So exactly what did you do for Apple there or anywhere else for that matter that gives you such keen insight into the corporate culture and our lack of concern for customers at Apple? Were you a sales clerk who got sacked from a UK Apple Store and has an axe to grind without really knowing anything about Apple? If you worked for Apple Computer, Inc., when were you employed? In what department and what was the name of your manager?

As I doubt you'll have the stones to reply meaningfully, maybe I should just deposit my latest paycheck and laugh at you personally for continuing to buy when you know how little we care about your purchases. That would be what an uncaring a**hole would do, eh?

Nope, we uncaring "feckers and a**holes" don't care at all. Nope, we struggled to deliver the Intel products six months before industry expectations because we knew that the improved performance didn't matter at all to our customers. We could have just waited the six months (incidentally about when rumor-sites claim that Intel should be delivering a lower power chipset) rather than struggling to cool almost 90 watts of power in a thin portable enclosure. We forced lower power-saving modes compared to every other manufacturer to extend battery life just so customers using the portables had to suffer longer while using our products. We delayed the MacBooks and the Minis as long as we possibly could to force more people to buy the more expesnsive MacBook Pro product.

We travel constantly to Asia because we just love China's industrial zones and the fine cuisine (seasoned with the delicate aroma of leaded fuel) that can only be experienced there. In fact, we spend extra hours every week just plotting ways to screw over the customers (we originally intended that the Ipod would give electric shocks whenever the customer touched it, but we screwed that design up too.). We generally sign over our patents to the company willingly (rather than hiding the idea and starting our own companies as engineers tend to do elsewhere) because we are too stupid to succeed anywhere else. We sweat tolerances to 0.05mm because bigger numbers are too hard for us. We do our own design in-house rather than relying on engineers in Taiwan/China because we prefer having conference calls in foreign languages until 10 PM to ensure that the design intent is understood.

No, Apple isn't perfect - largely because we must work with the same vendor base as the rest of the industry while trying to control cosmetic reveals and tolerance stackups much tighter. Imagine trying to get a separate company to TRULY internalize quality control and cosmetic impact when every other computer company just screams at them about quantity shoved out the door per hour. We also have such an understanding customer base... they only want lighter, faster, smaller, full-featured, easier-to-use, cheaper products with bigger displays that run cooler while having no fan noise. Oh, and of course, they must double as works of art. We must be incompetent that we keep missing such an easy target.

Since you used the word "feckers"and the phrase "give a toss", are you from the UK/Ireland? I doubt that you are old enough to have worked in the last production plant we had there. So exactly what did you do for Apple there or anywhere else for that matter that gives you such keen insight into the corporate culture and our lack of concern for customers at Apple? Were you a sales clerk who got sacked from a UK Apple Store and has an axe to grind without really knowing anything about Apple? If you worked for Apple Computer, Inc., when were you employed? In what department and what was the name of your manager?

As I doubt you'll have the stones to reply meaningfully, maybe I should just deposit my latest paycheck and laugh at you personally for continuing to buy when you know how little we care about your purchases. That would be what an uncaring a**hole would do, eh?

That was a mouth full and very yummy in deed. You said all I've ever wanted to say to all those who say things like "they should have done this or that". One of the first things I do when I buy a new mac is take it apart a bit and marvel at the organized way they put things together and make it look great. My new MacBook Pro is amazing inside and out. So what if there is a wait on unibins. Lets not forget what has transpired here and all the possitives. I guess we live in a MacDonalds drive threw generation quick, cheap and fast. People expect way too much too soon. I think Apple has met all the challenges. Mind you this is from a average guy "me" who knows nothing about programming or micro engineering. I AM AND END LINE USER. I'm a helicopter pilot by trade. I'm up against boundries namely physics. There is only so much that can be done in a given time with what you have available in front of you. But people have no clue about the challenges or boundries I'm up against, never mind just good old fashioned patients! Apple too is is up against challenges and boundries and they handle it very well.

Much Respect to LongShot!

VoyagerII

"nothing is impossible, just improbable! steven hawlkins"

Just got a 17" Macbook Pro and I can see what you mean about lousy performance. :)

Happy to help in beta testing an Intel version.

S!

Awesome, longshot. Very entertaining too.

Keep up the good work of pushing out excellent products!

Voyager2 and Ivertti:

Seriously, thank you guys for being customers and for being understanding when things don't come out exactly as desired in mass-production. The company usually does a good job of making it right for the customer when something unforeseen happens. Innovation and perfection have never played particularly well together.

Voyager2, I'll trade you in-depth walk-throughs of the design for helicopter flying lessons. I do volunteer work for emergency response when I am in CA, and I have to admit, it's a huge rush to ride the ANG's Blackhawks to be dropped off to a remote spot in the mountains. We all race to respond to incidents in the Wilderness areas because "the early bird gets the worm" as it were. The latecomers usually have to hike or 4x4 to their (closer) assignments. ;-)

Xgidds:

I am not a bad guy, and in re-reading I regret some of the more direct statements towards you. However, you lashed out pretty hard at me and people I work with every day.

Voyager2 and Ivertti:

Seriously, thank you guys for being customers and for being understanding when things don't come out exactly as desired in mass-production. The company usually does a good job of making it right for the customer when something unforeseen happens. Innovation and perfection have never played particularly well together.

Voyager2, I'll trade you in-depth walk-throughs of the design for helicopter flying lessons. I do volunteer work for emergency response when I am in CA, and I have to admit, it's a huge rush to ride the ANG's Blackhawks to be dropped off to a remote spot in the mountains. We all race to respond to incidents in the Wilderness areas because "the early bird gets the worm" as it were. The latecomers usually have to hike or 4x4 to their (closer) assignments. ;-)

Xgidds:

I am not a bad guy, and in re-reading I regret some of the more direct statements towards you. However, you lashed out pretty hard at me and people I work with every day.

Like a good friend use to tell me all the time " I said what I felt, I felt what I said and it was all in good taste" I've been using my MacBook Pro mostly with Xplane. It is amazing and nobody can tell me it works that good on a Pc. My god I have 256megs of video ram in this dang thing. Maybe I have more patients then most because I'm a helo pilot. Never the less I would never bash something and not have the knowledge and proof to back up my statements. Gone are those days it would seem when people would have educated debates. In short if your not part of the solution your part of the problem. By the way I admire employees whom have team spirit and stand up for there team. My only problem with mac was the hockey puck mouse. I laugh just thinking abou it.

Laters

VoyagerII

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0