Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
aismov

When did the military get/design new helmets?

18 posts in this topic

We all know about the standard kevlar helmet that you see all over the place in Iraq/'Stan. But in the past few years I've been noticing a new type of helmet being worn by soldiers, well it seems mostly Marines have them although I've seen Army with them as well. Its clearly a different design with a low-cut profile of the part that protects the ears, with the earlier model being more rounded all the way to the back while the newer one is more or less straight-cut similar to the German stahlhelm.

I know a lot of the SF guys prefer the Pro-Tec "mountain bike" style helmets, but this is clearly different.

old helmet:

pict77.jpg

pict72.jpg

new helmet:

photo%20gallery%2021.jpg

pict64.jpg

OK, finally found out what I was looking for. The older type helmets are the classic "Fritz" helmets (really the PASGT Helmet) which have the rounded parts under the ears and have been in service ever since replacing the M1 in 1988. The newer what I call "low-cut" helmets are the replacement models that are being distributed now. This is called the Modular Integrated Communications Helmet (MICH), with I guess the specification for these being the MICH TC-2000.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/lwh.htm

EDIT: just noticed in the second pic, the guy in the background is wearing a MICH helmet while the other ones are wearing the PASGT helmet.

Personaly i dont like the "Mike" helmet

Like you already noticed, it doesnt come down as far on the sides or back.

Not that a bullet wont go right through them anyways, but they stop shrapnel pretty well, and they do stop longer range bullets better than the old steel ones.

Close shots you're toast though.

The Old Pot as we called it just plaing sucked. Then the new kevlar came along...it was lighter and provided more protection, but it had huge limitations.

When wearing your flak vest and in the prone position you could barely lift your head, since the back of the helmet would prevent that. Headsets for your radio were all but impossible to wear as well. It also cut down on your hearing overall.

I'm not sure about the new style, but it appears to be an improvement.

The Old Pot as we called it just plaing sucked. Then the new kevlar came along...it was lighter and provided more protection, but it had huge limitations.

When wearing your flak vest and in the prone position you could barely lift your head, since the back of the helmet would prevent that. Headsets for your radio were all but impossible to wear as well. It also cut down on your hearing overall.

I'm not sure about the new style, but it appears to be an improvement.

I'm assuming you served when they still had the steel M1s and then upgraded to the kevlar?

Yep...I was wearing Vietnam era equipment for most of my 20 years in. Steel helmet with crappy liner (couldnt keep that thing on my head for crap), Old style flak vest, that would barely stop low velocity rocks, and the wonderful chemical protection equipment that did not work. My M-16 still had the old forked flash supressor (Vietnam era), and jammed every chance it got. The Night Vision device I had for most that time was the Starlight. The Starlight was huge and barely worked. Radios? LOL...line of sight, no encryption and batteries that ran dead after a few hours. Heck we were still using the 90mm recoiless rifle, then we got the LAW.

I retired in 1995, by that time we had the much improved NVGs, Kevlar vests, Helmets that were lighter and actually stayed on your head, and my M-16 was upgraded to the new flash supressor. My radio was still mostly line of sight, but it had encryption and the batteries would last several days. And we got the MK-19.

The new helmets allow you to fire from a prone position, something that was near impossible with the old one when wearing IBA.

Me, I still prefer the old steel pot - now I have to carry a separate container to wash up in. Not that I spend a lot of time in the field these days.

Yeah..the piss pot made a nice sink..and was a better chair than the kevlar.

How much did the old kevlar limit your hearing? I'm assuming you felt a bit more "secure" in the new one than the old one, no? (mostly b/c I know in WWII the Fallschirmjager liked they Infantry helmets more b/c they felt more safe in them)

How much did the old kevlar limit your hearing? I'm assuming you felt a bit more "secure" in the new one than the old one' date=' no? (mostly b/c I know in WWII the Fallschirmjager liked they Infantry helmets more b/c they felt more safe in them)[/quote']

It came down over the ears and muffled the sounds you rely on, especially at night. Things like someone walking, snapping twigs, distant trucks, things like that. I admit at first I felt more secure, but when I realized I would not be able to look around effectively when prone, and I couldn't pick up those sounds it made me more nervous.

When I look at the WWII version German Helmet it seems to flare out a bit more. I have never worn an original German Helmet so I can't tell if they would have the same problem. From the photographs I have seen it appears they would.

I happen to own a M1940 helmet and it indeed does muffle sounds a bit, but it doesn't go completely over my ears so I can still hear. It cuts down a tad bit on peripheral vision since the "ear peice" flairs a bit foward to cover the temples as well, but not by much.

The main difference between that and the new kevlar which I tried on when this guy I knew was in ROTC was how damn heavy the steel helmet is. Dunno how heavy the M1 was but the Stahlhelm was a noticable amount of weight.

The U.S. Steel Helmet was very heavy and off balance. Even with the chin strap pulled tight as soon as you began to run it would start to either fall in your face, or fall off the back of your head.

Kevlar was much lighter.

Huh, thats interesting. The German one I have is being kept in "original" condition, that is exactly how it was found. Which means it does not have its liner or chinstrap and is missing abou 99% of its paint. However when you put it on and and try to jog with it has more a tendancy to go up and down with a slight bobble back and forth.

Even with a liner certainly different than the kevlar since I remember it being like a very snug bicycle helmet that I actually had to tug at to get off my head. Of course it could have just been my head was too big for the helmet but I doubt it since my head size isn't above average, if anything its a tad smaller than most folks.

They improved the head band on the kevlar..it fits more snuglly. The old steel helmet used a tie up system that always came loose.

I dig the sight and scope mods on those M4s.

I'm guessing for practical purposes in the combat zone, nobody uses the plain iron sight anymore...

ive got a circa 44 British para helmet, although it has no protection on ears, it is a very nice fit and gives your senses plenty of room, whilst feeling safe

The Kevlar Helmet was a significan improvement over the steel 2 part helmet in terms of confort (IMO). It seemed better until you tried to get prone with it on and your nose was forced into the dirt. As indicated prior the helmet was too long in the back to work with the Body armor (or even a radio pack). It did feel lighter than the steel pot and more comfortable. To each his own I suppose

the MICH helmet also has different suspension ( interior of the helmet is foam ) and different chinstraps

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0