Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
renesis

PC and Mac, Should the game look the same?

33 posts in this topic

I used to play WWII Online on a PC with an ATI 9700 Pro.

I currently am playing on a Mac. G5 dualcore 2.3 PPC 1.5 GB DDR2 NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256 MB.

Should the graphics and effects look the same? On the PC they looked great with that haze effect it looked real good. On the Mac it looks like it used to when WWII Online first came out. No haze effect, the builtings look bland. Can anyone tell me if it should look the same on both platforms? I am new to Macs and it may be a setting or maybe a limitation of the video card I have, I just don't know.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

renesis

check my settings document in the sticky

http://discussions.playnet.com/showthread.php?t=98188

you might need to turn some things on to get better look. There are a few differences on different video cards and a few things aren't functional on a mac (like flag waving) but in general you should get similar results. If you can post a screenshot of each it would be useful so we can see what's odd.

Both versions use openGL for video. PC uses DirectX sound, Mac uses openAL sound.

However there are extensions to openGL which are different on different implementations and video cards.

I'll try the settings from the sticky and if it still looks wierd I will post screen shots from both. How do you do get the screenshot from tha MAC? is it the same key?

Thanks

How do you do get the screenshot from tha MAC? is it the same key?

I remapped it F13, or "Print Screen" as labled on the key, so it required very little thought to quickly take screenshots when a Kodak© moment appeared.

By all means, please post some shots! I'm interested to see the difference myself having not played on a PC...

I will be posting pics soon, I've been real busy.

Upon re-comparison I noticed that the graphics were actually quite similar. One correction however, on the PC the video card is an X700 not a 9700PRO. The biggest difference and I do miss it from the PC, is what I can only describe as a haze effect. It occurs on when light is reflecting off of something like the leaves on a tree or part of an aircraft. I will try to get some examples up soon. I would really like to get this haze effect back.

renesis

Ok here they are.

This first picture of the cockpit is from the PC an is the best representation of the haze/smooth effect that I am missing on the MAC. All screenshots reduced from 1600x1200 to 1024x768.

cockpit_PC.jpg

The next two are from the PC and the MAC in that order. Notice the highlight on the wall behind the pump.

gasstation-PC.jpg

gasstation_MAC.jpg

The next two also show the lack of highlight on sandbags from the MAC

combo.jpg

Could it just be an ATI (PC) vs Nvidia (MAC) thing? All the settings are the same on both platforms. Things just looked a lot smoother on the PC with greater depth. Anyway there you have it. Should I get an ATI card for the MAC?

I really don't see the "haze" affect in the first photo, doesn't look any different from what i see..

As for the gas station, I think the Mac shot looks better, the wall is a bit darker and textured looking, the PC shot looks like the gamma was set way too high and the wall turned into a whitish blob, the window looks a bit goofy as well.

The sandbags on the PC look great though! I'll have to look at them and see what they are for me. Might post some shots if anything differs much. I'm using a Radeon X800 BTW so we'll see if that makes a diff.

Edit: here's a few photos, haze looks the same, I tossed in the 3rd because the bark was rather impressive :) Sandbags are still on the way. Used links instead of imbedding the images cuz' they're big...

http://webpages.charter.net/fastwabbit/SShot4.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/fastwabbit/SShot3.jpg

http://webpages.charter.net/fastwabbit/SShot8.jpg

Maybe haze is the wrong word. It's the diffused glow that happens with reflected light. If you look at my first pic of the cockpit, you can see it on the part just below the gunsight where the sight dissapears. Also, to a lesser degree the highlighted part of the canopy handles. I didn't see this effect in your screenshots chump. If you get a chance can you check the sandbag highlights? Thanks

Maybe haze is the wrong word. It's the diffused glow that happens with reflected light. If you look at my first pic of the cockpit' date=' you can see it on the part just below the gunsight where the sight dissapears. Also, to a lesser degree the highlighted part of the canopy handles. I didn't see this effect in your screenshots chump. If you get a chance can you check the sandbag highlights? Thanks[/quote']

Well, it's not showing on your mac because you didn't enable it from the settings.

c47 which settings would that be? I've duplicated the settings from the PC on to the MAC.

ahwulf, post render filter was checked on both platforms. I've also tried it without. I've also tried every thing that I could to try to dissable the diffused glow on the PC to see what option actually enables or disables it. I couldn't shut it off which I think is further proof that it is not something I can turn on on the MAC , at least not with the Nvidia card.

That is a sweet video! What proggie do you use to record them? TIA

i used iMovie - I connected the 2nd DVI output of my card (in mirrored mode) with the Apple DVI to SVHS Adaptor to a Canopus ADVC 110 firewire DV convertor - iMovie uses the ADVC as video source. Bad thing is you can't play at higher resolutions than 1024x768 then and i didn't found an application yet that works with a key setup to start/stop recording while WW2 Online is in foreground. (controler mate software can set up joystick buttons to work with applications running in the background)

Hessberg surprised you did not use the gunsight view.

gunsight view :confused:

i'm so lazy to read things did i missed something? :D

c47 which settings would that be? I've duplicated the settings from the PC on to the MAC.

ahwulf, post render filter was checked on both platforms. I've also tried it without. I've also tried every thing that I could to try to dissable the diffused glow on the PC to see what option actually enables or disables it. I couldn't shut it off which I think is further proof that it is not something I can turn on on the MAC , at least not with the Nvidia card.

That "Haze" you call it on the PC is called post render filter. Are you sure it's checked on the mac?

I didn't think post render filter worked on the mac with a nvidia video card. It certainly doesn't work on mine. I've got a G5 w nvidia 6800ultra

ibad

I didn't see this effect in your screenshots chump. If you get a chance can you check the sandbag highlights? Thanks

Well I tried several things, including checking "Specular" which was off and I thought for sure would do it, but to no avail. I was unable to get the glow effect on the sandbags with an ATI x800. I didn't not try "Post Render" however as somebody else suggested, might do that...

hessburg: thanks for the movie info... A picture is worth a thousand words, but movies are just priceless!

That "Haze" you call it on the PC is called post render filter. Are you sure it's checked on the mac?

Absolutely possitive that I have post render filter checked. I didn't initialy when I followed awful's great Mac config guide(thanks awful), but have since turned it on.

What ATI cards are available for the mac? Chump I notice that you have the x800 is it a good card? If you get a chance can you try the post render filter option and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks everyone for all the tips and suggestions. I wouldn't be enjoying WWII on the mac if it weren't for this board.

Thanks again.

renesis

As I said before - post render filter does nothing on a mac with an nvidia card. Its a bug. It worked for one of the 1.19 betas, but didn't make the final release. It hasn't worked since.

Renisis you have a nvidia 6600GT, so checking that option makes no difference.

ibad

I can't say for sure that PRF fails on all nvidia cards' I'm hoping now that Jaeger is back from Germany he can fix that, although most people turn it off anyway. BTW renesis, the name is ahwulf :-)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0