Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
renesis

PC and Mac, Should the game look the same?

33 posts in this topic

I got a feeling from your earlier post that PRF does nothing on the MACs with nvidia cards ibad. I was just looking for a little more confirmation on the subject. It's too bad it doesn't work, I like the effect. In my opinion it makes thinks look more natural, not so crisp.

Sorry for the name screw up ahwulf I'm mildly dyslexic. I can't spell either and I'm red/green color blind :(

What ATI cards are available for the mac? Chump I notice that you have the x800 is it a good card? If you get a chance can you try the post render filter option and see if that makes a difference.

Thanks again.

Well, with post render on I took a small FPS hit, the buildings looked incredibly better (didn't check out vehicles, etc), but the glowing sandbag effect still doesn't seem to be there.

SShot28.jpg

As for the X800 XT, well I paid something like $300-400, and didn't really feel it was worth it. I foget which model I had, but it was the best BTO Radeon Apple had when I got my first gen dual 2Ghz machine, maybe that's why there wasn't that much of a difference.

Video cards: I tried posting text, and then a link (when that failed) to the Online Config sticky forum that had comprehensive Mac video card info. I emailed it to ahwulf, he said he'll be putting it up.

Otherwise if you want reviews/benchmarks/ect on any particular card in any mac a good place to look is http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/ The site does its own reviews as well as maintains a huge user submitted database.

Thanks for the update chump. So does this mean that even with an Ati card on a MAC, the PRF option still doesn't look the same way as it does on the PC?

Thanks for the update chump. So does this mean that even with an Ati card on a MAC' date=' the PRF option still doesn't look the same way as it does on the PC?[/quote']

Well, the PRF option did produce incredible results on buildings (didn't test it on much else yet), as for the sandbag glow, well, that seems rather minor to be honest, not something I'd loose sleep over.

And keep in mind that current and future development of the game is being very heavily focused on visual affects and more efficient rendering. Hence, you'll see more while giving up less. This trend will continue... Good things shall continue to come our way (PC and Mac)!

Those that play steadily have long since put up with the inferior graphics of the game, for the sheer magnitude of it. It seems as if development has finally realized that graphics play a large role in player retention given the graphical nature of other WWII and MMOG, and you'll see nothing but improvement in that aspect... I'll put money on it :)

Those that play steadily have long since put up with the inferior graphics of the game, for the sheer magnitude of it. It seems as if development has finally realized that graphics play a large role in player retention given the graphical nature of other WWII and MMOG, and you'll see nothing but improvement in that aspect... I'll put money on it :)

I agree, the emersiveness (is that a word?) is increadible. I first started playing when WWII first came out in 2001, at the time I was playing rainbow6 exlusively but quickly abandoned it when I saw how radilcally different WWII-OL was. The battles and sense of accomplishement when taking a town was unlike anything I had played up to that point. The graphics back then were umm well ... flat, boring, that didn't matter though because what CRS had accomplished with the physics model even at theat early stage was amazing. The graphics have taken a huge leap foward since then. I remember playing it for the first time after not touching the game for about a year, it looked great, and the gameplay was better than I remembered it to be. Good things will continue to come I'm sure.

With the 1.23.13 beta I now get post render filter working on Mac with my nvidia card. So I now get shiny sand bags and buildings as in the PC screenshots. Also the water effects are working again.

ibad

With the 1.23.13 beta I now get post render filter working on Mac with my nvidia card. So I now get shiny sand bags and buildings as in the PC screenshots. Also the water effects are working again.

ibad

I noticed the same when I tried 1.23.13. There is hope:) Now if we could just bail out of cripled aircraft...

Post render filter still doesn't work for me - but that looks like FSAA and specular to me.

Hey "Awful" (sorry ahwulf but that's a funny typo :D - I get worse) I'm using the ATI X800XT G5 Dual 2.7 with 2.5 gRAM and the update runs kinda slow for me - getting like 10 FPS at minimal settings.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0