Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lindir

24th of September Event (#2)

64 posts in this topic

I was a para so I got to wait for about an hour in a plane and then our pilot had some fps issues which made us cirlce the target to warn all the ei that we were coming. After his lag stopped we went in for the drop and the jumpmaster called the jump late so we landed on the opposite side of the city. After regrouping with my squad me and 3 other guys managed to run into and lmg sniper and we got mowed. :-/

The overall idea was awesome i wish i coulda had a second life to try and help but since we had 1 life i was scroowed

when the thing got started I had a pretty good time... until I saw the town changing ownership to UK, hear AI fire and screams. At that time we were all wondering what was going on and couldn't leave our cover.

When we later got around to the RR station we made an assault (also fun) and killed the first AAA. We then continued to make our way to the AF along the RR tracks. Found a vicker on the side with his engine blown in front of us and a couple of EI. Marine45 took care of the AI and as we made out escape we took fire from the bridge behind us. I got hit but survived while our LMG got set up and covered us until we were safe. After that we just tried to make our way to the AF and got there just in time to see whoofe getting hammered by black poofs (not from the vicker!). I tried to get on the plane but got killed and I think the rest of my squad met the same fate.

vicker did kill me, but i was pretty much screwed by then anyway since the AI had blown 1 of my engines and killed crew #2, plus it had killed 1 of the guys who had loaded up into me

AI had been firing at me for a good 3-4 min before the vickers ever got there.

anyway, these events are fun, but i think they need to have a definate start time and ppl that show up late, sorry too bad. otherwise it just drags on and on and ppl end up quitting becuz they could be using their time productively

learn from what works & continue to do it, learn from what doesnt work and see how to do it better

i do appreciate the time that LINDIR & darkkis put into these events. i am sure its a royal pain in the rear getting things organized properly

thx guys

not to knock the ppl that setup the realism events, but they just take forever to get going. Like what was it...over 2 hours waiting in a JU and some ppl just died to ai flak after all that waiting...

The realism event is a good idea, and fun once it gets going, but it has to be pretty spectacular to make up for all that waiting...which it wasnt.

I recall that some of the buildings were destroyed so I don't think there were glitches.

me and the guys i was with did not come across one destroyed building and had lindir telling us to get out of the buildings we were in it's destroyed. seems like a glitch to me

me and the guys i was with did not come across one destroyed building and had lindir telling us to get out of the buildings we were in it's destroyed. seems like a glitch to me

was it destroyed with you in it? making you underneath the rubble? or were some players seeing it as destroyed and others as not?

This was my second event. I have some great things to say about it, and some not so great things to say. First lets do the good stuff.

I arrived early, about an hour early. I was assigned to 2nd platoon 2nd Squad as the Squad leader. It took a while, but in time my team was full and we were assigned as paras. Our initial target was to hit the AAA at the RR station and ensure the Gliders could land. Then we would establish a line cutting from the RR to the East Depot. I divided my team into 3 fire teams and developed a Standard Operating Procedure. {I will not tell you what this is, since it may help the allied rat &(*& ;) }

Luckily for this event all but one of my team was on TS. The flight in was uneventful until 5k from town. then lag got bad. I was running fairly good at about 7fps. Our pilot was reporting from 0 to 2 fps. Not good. I will discuss why this is a bit later.

We passed completly over town and had to circle to make the final run, the jumpmaster called the jump, but with the lag it was like jumping into a hurricane. Now we can complain, but in war this crap happens. Normandy springs to mind.

I had my team assemble as best it could. Part of one fire team was south of factory number 2, part was NE of the factory. This posed a problem since there was a viki and assorted EI between us. I lost one troop completely during the drop. He was shot. Cordite, the smell of death.

At this point I ordered the southern most Fire Team to block around the factory and head to the RR as best they could. This they did.

I took the 2 remaining teams with me. At this point I realized that I only had 2 1/2 fire teams. Still not bad for a windy landing ;)

Now a game play issue that needs some work. To me, and to my other teams ALL building were up. Some of the guys reported getting clipping messages from the GM and did try to leave the buildings, but reported they were kicked from the game. I cant attest to this. So, in the future, the clippers in this particular case should be given an opportunity to clear the rubble before being kicked. I lost 2 men at this point.

I lost another 2 shortly after to enemy fire near the RR, It was at this time we were flanked by an EI. He killed one of us, but my brand new recruit gunned him down. WTG Traton!

In all my squad was reduced to 3 people. I tried to work around the factory to a better position and lost traton to enemy lmg. When I heard the bullets I ran back the way I came, Sadly traton did not. Adios Traton.

I saw an ei in the worst possible position. He was getting ready to throw a nade when he saw me. The gun is mightier than the pineapple. I shot him.

Finally I made it to my last remaining member, then the AI opened up. We were pinned. What is worse, is the Allies were now being pulled north to the factory #1. Now the AI was telling them where I was. This is where the whole event is invalidated. So, from my point of view, this was a non-event with no winners.

I made it to the RR only to find a bofors on the stairs, strange place for an AAA gun. I shot it, it shot me. End of the game for me.

So, Evaluation time.

Event planning. Oh my heart goes out to Lindir and Darkkis. They are going through what I went through during my military career. I know people complain about the wait time, but in real life, an exercise like this takes 8 hours or more just to assemble the troops. Now add to that people who are late, or dont like their assignment, and things get real ugly. So the wait time was acceptable since it allowed everyone who wanted to , to play.

One question is why the allies get a scout car, and we did not? I cant imagine that the germans did much without some sort of armor protection. Armor, even the viki is a huge force multiplier, now add to that the fact the allies were defending and the "balance" is way off.

So here are some suggestions.

1. Players get to the event early! The organization time will be about the same, but maybe less hectic.

2. Do not use chat, or TS while in a fully loaded/overloaded JU.

3. Use 2 Jus when taking a large number of troops in. Too many eggs in one basket is a bad thing.

4. If one side is defending keep in mind that they are at a huge strategic advantage. No military force can win an attack at a 1:1 ratio. Keep in mind that modern forces have force multipliers such as air and tanks.

5. Get your friends into this. This is a great way to practice your team tactics. This particular scenario allowed you to practice MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain).

6. Keeping squads together is a great way to build their skills and teamwork.

7. Do not lower the numbers for the event, just break them up. No commander who wants to survive sends everything in on one boat, or in this case one ju.

Overall Evaluation: This Event was fun, and exciting, however, technical issues caused alot of hard feelings. Work on those and you will have something here. I give this Event a B+. I will do another.

S! Darkkis and Lindr. Great Job!!

I made it to the RR only to find a bofors on the stairs, strange place for an AAA gun. I shot it, it shot me. End of the game for me.

HAHA that was you. The RR station was right where HQ was. The HQ platoon left to reinforce the North, all that was left was me and the CA MLE. Man that scared us. You had someone with you also who I got around and SMG'ed. I didn't know he was there even!

"4. If one side is defending keep in mind that they are at a huge strategic advantage. No military force can win an attack at a 1:1 ratio. Keep in mind that modern forces have force multipliers such as air and tanks."

Vick or other athor armour for defender is because we have been in past won almost every event as attackers with or without armor on defenders, so it´s kind of balancing act against organized group.

i believe some were seeing it as destroyed some were not allied/axis we had a guy shot inside in the corner with others watching doorways and no ei in sight sounded like shot came from across road rooftop was kinda strange made us all run around in panic lol goin wtf. still had a lot of fun though.

Just to fill you guys in from the allied side. The buildings all showed up as intact to me, didn't see any rubble the entire event. Secondly when the paratroopers starting experiencing lag, we got way laggy on the ground. I had 2 fps so that was rough for all. One little JU and everything goes to hell. I was part of HQ platoon sent to reinforce the North. When the RR wa attacked what was left of the platoon attempted to return. I was in the north tunnel when I saw several ei coming from the n. I got a few but absent mindedly ignored the ei on the rr steps aiming at me. Don't mind the long wait to get started, just kind of wish the game itself ran smoothly when it starts. The pak and 251 were killed N of the RR station. They came across the road at the moment HQ platoon was moving N to reinforce. The event was fun, really makes you tense since you only have 1 life to live....that sounds familiar..hmmm

HAHA that was you. The RR station was right where HQ was. The HQ platoon left to reinforce the North' date=' all that was left was me and the CA MLE. Man that scared us. You had someone with you also who I got around and SMG'ed. I didn't know he was there even![/quote']

Indeed it was...didnt see the bofors until I nearly ran into it...I was just hoping to make it to the top of the stairs and in the radio room for a second. Bofors shocked the crap out of me. Never saw you. I told the guy with me where the bofors was, not sure if I killed it.

Weeed i think it was me i seeen 3 to 4 paras in a building that was blowen killed 1 and seen the others running it looked like they were walking thru the rubble it was close to #2 factory i think seen u guys clear as day was wondering why you were just sitting out in the open like that something was a miss with the buildings for sure.

Fastlane

Indeed it was...didnt see the bofors until I nearly ran into it...I was just hoping to make it to the top of the stairs and in the radio room for a second. Bofors shocked the crap out of me. Never saw you. I told the guy with me where the bofors was' date=' not sure if I killed it.[/quote']

what were you doing in the area? we counted no less that 30 of your friends attacking the northern area.

Well I have had fun reading the individual perspectives on this so I'll give mine as well from the grunt level. This was definitely a WWIIOL memorable event for me. I have spawned 100's of times in the main server but only a handful of missions have been memorable.

First S! to gnpatton, usarmy and sapperd. Great leadership guys...outstanding.

My story:

After spawning and hitching a ride on a Vicky down south I was assigned to sapperd's recon squad. After wandering around for 45 minutes or so and seeing nothing, even after we were within sight of the SE FB I was beginning to wonder where the heck the enemy was. Look look look....hmmm nothing.

Finally... a JU!...."paras on city SE quadrant". We watched for awhile and they disappeared in the brush. I did see one EI running toward the city way off in the distance...then nothing. At this point I was definitely feeling like a grunt...deaf & dumb.....now what?

Our squad then was ordered to return back Northwest to the south bridge as gunfire began crackling and comms heated up with enemy reports. We settled in on the bridge and waited......and waited.

Then I hear a HT motor. Since I was a sapper I ask if I should track it down? gnpatton says sure...so I strike out. As I run through the buildings some serious gunfire begins on the north side and the HQ platoon moves that way. The HT starts/stops...well hell....it has to be on the east side of the bridge...that looooong central bridge. After looking forever....yeah it seems safe.....so I run across and dive in the brush on the east side. Hmmm WHERE is the enemy. I know they're here close by....I can smell them.

AHA! That HT is real close now. I dart further east and see the gray through the brush. Being suspicious I figure he probably has a large squad guarding him like a Wells Fargo cash truck. Hmm nope no one here. So I rush towards him and just as I am going to stop and blast the gunner he ducks inside the cabin. Uh Oh! So I promptly stick a satchel on his hood hoping he doesnt drive off. BOOM! He's a dead guy. Hasta la Vista Baby! Then I run back west to my troop section listening to distant gunfire still amazed I havent seen any enemy infantry.

As soon as I get back to the bridge I'm ordered back to the RR station. (Sheesh). Run back to RR and I wander around the station awhile...gnpatton is only one there. So I finally settle in on the north side in an abandoned gun pit thinking I wont see ONE damn enemy to shoot at before this over. Not 30 seconds later I see one and call out the warning. Then damn there were many all at once. Blam...Blam...Blam... Woot! three dead EI, BLAM I shoot a damn Para in the kneecap and he runs off...damn him. Ouch get SMG strafed, jump up scared all to hell, lay down again immediately and black screen..................War is Hell.

I would like to see how it ended though. Can anyone fill in the End Game?

I feel bad that it was that way for you guys, give it another chance because I had a blast and its a great training tool for squad level communications and tactics, I deffinately plan on getting my entire squad involved in the next one. Great job everyone and like I said, give it another shot, its worth it.

warhorr

Thanks for your valant effort at the RR station, I had a few others with me too, we did alright, we were seriously under manned. I should have recalled section 2 back to us as they shoudn't have been fighitng up north with so little numbers.

I had a lot of fun doing this and I never fired a round.

warhorr did an awesome job as did the rest of section 3.

( I didn't fight with the other sections )

S!

hi all!

S!to the braves axis and allies.

during this one, i was the co of the 1st BEF rerco section, under gnpatton's orders.

He does a nice job, as usual S!to him, you have a real strong leadership, as i see in the laste one. and it s a pleasure to be commended by you.

During this event, i see that all allies players doing theire job very well, and follow the orders without problems. This was wonderful

So, first time, we all spawn in central ab in duss, waiting for the late guys and the gnpatton's orders. He hask me to take my section on the north sector of the town, and to made some patrols between factory 3 and 4.

I send some mens to do reco from north west to north east of town, they take theire positions alone and cover themself.

Boumboum, our 1st section aaa gun, take position in factory 3, in the south east corner building and look at the south entrance of the factory, during this time, i receive some report from my reco-mens, no audio nor visu atm.

2 mens take the north entrance and the vckers made some patrols around us.

at this point, we do not see any ennemis...but our nerves are under serious pressur

after some waiting time, see at right, see at left, etc... we heard about some fighting in the south area, but our mission is to keep our north building safe, and the aaa too.

So, i manage, on the orders of gnpattons, to send 3 mens of my section on the south bridge, to reinforce the mens there.

In our sector, nothing...ho yes, a ju52, dragging some paras...they land on south, haske a men of my section. we are always waiting on them héhé.

But the land too fare from us...doesn't matter our turn will come for sur ;)

You know whats hapend in the south part, but in north side our reco men, east of factor 3 in the top of a building, haske us that he saw 1, no 2, 3, 4 etc...35 eis!!!

That scared me, cause i loose 3 mens on the south, and 35 eis is a lot of ennemis for us...so, i demande to my section to regroup on the factory 3 and made a retreat on the building, my aaa goes south of the north building in the bushes.

During the regroupement, i loose AIFV, he manage to wounded two ennemis but died in the south east building in factory 3, on the stairs

The rest of my mens take the trees spot just north of the north bridge an recieved the orders to keep this position at all cost. they do it very well, nice job mens.

During the retreat, i call gnpatton: "Heeeeelp" lol, and he send me the hqplatton, thx to him. Hqplatoon maded contacte with me and my mens.

my mens goes back on the bridge and keep it, the hqplatoon come with me and the vickers, mine fall on the railroad and be on the side lol, to the east of the factory 3.

We keep the position well, and gnpatton orders us to made a counter attak. i love this men

I manage to put the vickers forward, to cover the inf, and folow them with all hqplatoon, we take eache metres of ground after each. and manage to regaine the east part of factory 3...after that, i order to go in the building right east outside of the factory 3, a rush, and i go first after my orders giveen...i enter the buildng in its south part and wounded an axis rifle, a men of hqplatoon kill him and save my life.

At this time i was like a drunk man lol, m brain burns in the fight, and i want to go forward and slash all of the axis inf...but whene i hask my savior to come with me in the north side of the buildings, a "BANG" and a bullet in my head stoped my dream lol.

After that, my mens manage to repulse an attak on the north west side, in the railroad, and loose one men.

The axis made a fallback and goes to them plane to evacuate...i hear that the vickers goes on him and manage to cut it's wings lol.

Nice to pla with all of you, and my apologize for m bad english.

S!all again.

Sitasan,Vcorp, 1st BAM, 3DLM

Edit:Wow, i forgot, i cant wait for the next one héhé, and cant wait too on the lindir's aar.

It has been a great event.

I was asigned to the 2nd section of allies, with my squad. We were supossed to defend an AAA gun, and we got a Vicky for scouting.

At some point we saw a ju arriving, two AAA guns reported to have a perfect target on that axis plane.. but for some reason we were told to not kill all those paras (i suposse that carnage would have been too premature for those axis players). However AIs and lag were unfriendly to those paras, so I suposse it is rigth.

Our vickie was sent to the open fields around the town, and was destroyed by an ATG. Altough it were nearly sapped by some paratroopers before that. Someone said that allies get better equipment, IMO it is not true. Allies got some vickies and a bunch of rifles, axis got ATG paras and smgs, ATG made open field deadly for vickies, and paras made streets also dangerous for our "wonderfull" vickers.

Then I got AFK for a long time, when I returned my section had been moved. I get a bit lost in the city and i reached to gnpatton HQ in the RR station (i didnt know, but my section was 200m N).

Gnpatton ordered me to stay at the RR and help guarding, i did.

Meanwhile my squad AAA was afk, and hidden somewhere (he survived the event).

My squad was almost anihilated N of RR station, i was told to cover the approach of the squad leader.. but he was kill.

Warhorr reported a lot of EIs incoming, he kill about 3 or 4 of them, but got sniped before taking cover in the RR. Wtg warhorr.

I took a good position in the RR and waited for the enemy. Then i saw 3 or 4 guys running and taking cover in a corner, I was scared about that disciplinated assault. Two of them took a look inside the RR and one of them fired to me, i shot their heads when they showed up, 2 EIs ded.They were clever and used a lot of smoke in the RR entrance, then a horde of EIs ran into the RR station. I kill an oficer and then i got prome as i was being fired badly. I tried to sneak to a better spot.

Unfortunatelly i died before reaching a new defensive position, maybe a para ran to the second floor and kill me, or a nade hit me. In the death camera i saw at least 6 EIs rushing into the RR station.

Gnpatton and one AAA were kill a minute after that.

Well, was fun, thx to lindir, and commanders for great leadership. Also gj to axis for good organization, seemed almost real war.

S!

I'm cad1sc, the oic of Section 2.

First at all, event was pretty funny. I logged in 19:30, spawned 20:30 and died 23:35.

Second, It's an honour serve with you GnPatton. Sorry if sometimes I asked you to confirm orders.. English is not my native languaje... I'm spanish and was a little bit overhelmed controlling section 2.

I didn't controlled good my Vickers.. that went to kill Junkers 52 that landed but got killed when he was there. We also had the problem that the guy with our AA had to leave...he left AA hidden AFK the rest of the event.

My main error was leaving Bridge east to go inside of RR. I should stayed with section 2 there. We went to RR station and then came back to same position, and we had a heavy attack (10+ eis.). We killed some and routed the rest, but we had also heavy loses and only 5 (3rifle, 1 ATR, and me smg) alive in section 2. We hold up position in city table, north of RRstation and managed to kill several Eis, pak36 and gunmen of 251.

Then we had another heavy attack and all of the section fall out but me. I was in roof. I was considering to surrender or try to sneak out to RR back... but while going down in ladders got killed by enemy rifle.

Lindir, Darkkis: Ty for event... it was very funny. S! for you.

This is a present for you GnPatton:

http://hqes.wwiionline.com/imagenes/Beta/6.jpg

This is more or less the history of section #2 in event. Green zones are Enemy attacks. In C position we lose 50% of squad in two attacks, but hold terrain and last 6 in E position.

http://hqes.wwiionline.com/imagenes/Beta/8.jpg

what were you doing in the area? we counted no less that 30 of your friends attacking the northern area.

We were the remains of the para drop. still trying to reach our assigned objective. Which, as it turns out, was you.

HAHA that is awsome! Thnx for the present ;)

:-)

I shouldn't have sent your men north to possistion E. I wasn't aware of your numbers. I honestly thought you had more men than HQ platoon. My mistake, I am sorry.

It was not so a big mistake...there with 5 people managed to kill myself 1ei, 1 pak and gunmen of 251. The rest of squad killed 5-6 eis more. Killing pak36 was something important.

It would have been better to keep you in the RR area.

Maybe...

Being Oic of section #2 made me realize how hard is to coordinate a squad. I couldn't imagine how hard is being the boss of all.

After the mision is easy to see mistakes (I have a pool on my spanish forums brainstorming about my mistakes), but inside of mision in the moment is hard to choose. Imho you did it very good.

S!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0