• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
longshot

ww2 history question :-)

11 posts in this topic

1) What nation found itself in the curious position of being at war with the UK and at peace with the US during the period 1942-1945?

2) What unusual circumstance or action occurred which brought about this situation?

Answer in 48 hours if no one responds correctly. Good luck.

Well then I'll give it to you although it ceased being Siam in 1937. Know how it came about?

Heh, now that I don't know.

Wasn't it invaded by Japan and had a puppet government set up or something like that? Seriously I have no clue.

I'll go ahead and close it out. The Thai ambassador to the US refused to deliver the war declaration to the US Secretary of State, Cordell Hull. He told Hull what was in his pocket and said he felt it did not represent the desire of the Thai people, so he instead resigned his position and volunteered to help the US to create a Thai resistance movement called Seri Thai.

Ah yes, now it is jogging my memory. Didn't this resistence movement succesefully stage a coup in 1944 or 1945 and thanks to the ambassador's actions, the US successefully lobbied Britain to cease their demands for war reparations from Siam?

Seri Thai was one part of it. Apparently, one of the other politicians (Pridi) went into hiding in Thailand so that his signature was forged on the document declaring war. He then went on to form a resistance movement within Thailand that eventually linked up with the external movements (Seri Thai in the US and a weaker one in UK. I forget the UK leader's name but he was less successful because he was perceived as a Royalist seeking to return the absolute monarchy that they had thrown off a few years before). The whole episode is confusing, but it seems like a lot of collusion on the part of the Thai politicoes to comply with Japan's demands to the letter of the law while executing them so poorly that their actual intent was clear to the Allies.

They must have done something right because the world community had no objection when the "dictator" responsible for leading Thailand during the war was voted back to power in 1947.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0