Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chippewa

My stuka (mis)adventure

6 posts in this topic

Let's face it I'm a ground pounder, a grunt. I do very well as infantry so this flying and tanking stuff is always an adventure for me:

After haphazardly tossing bombs two nights ago (level bombing) I decided to read up on how you're REALLY supposed to use a stuka. It's a dive bomber silly, key word being DIVE.

So last night I find a mission. I find a town not hotly contested but one with a fb up close to it and no ea ews. I've got enough to worry about.

It's about 20km to the town from the airfield. Not too far but enough time to get altitude, about 2km.

As I'm cruising to the fb someone marks an et, perfect. I get above it down throttle, air brakes on, invert, dive! I'm lined up right on the marked tank, where is it? I switch on the dive siren but there is no et. I pull off the brakes, siren, throttle up and climb away.

I get up to about 1.7km and swing around to the fb as I see some tracers around it. Also there is an ea but he's being chased by some friendlies, he shouldn't bother me, besides there are clouds at this level. Throttle down, invert, dive. I lined up right on the fb, well not perfectly but close enough. Oh no, I forgot the dive brakes! The ground is coming up fast. Better drop the bomb fast. Hit b, nothing, pull up quick and hit the throttle.

I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with my bombs. I switch to the small bombs and try it, of course one drops. Maybe I was going too fast to drop it the first time or maybe I hit the wrong button. Anyway I'm climbing again and see tracers, the ea is on my 6! Remembering something I read I hit the drive brakes, nose over and go into a 90 degree dive. The tracers follow me. I drop my 250 bomb thinking I need to lose it to maneuver. I pull out of the dive on the treetops and head east. No more ea on my six.

I climb back to about 2km and swing around to the fb again. I line it up, air brakes, throttle down, invert and dive. I'm off the mark but adjust. I get the fb lined up but I see nothing down there. I drop all three remaining bombs and pull out heading east (hey that's a smart idea!).

I head back to the airfield watching my 6 for the ea. No problems and I get a rtb.

Mission result: 0 hits 0 kills!

No hits but I feel much more confident in the stuka. At least I'm understanding how to use it and not getting killed.

! The ground is coming up fast. Better drop the bomb fast. Hit b, nothing, pull up quick and hit the throttle.

Nice story.. but the reason the bombs were never released, is probably becuase your dive was 90 degrees or more, the bombs did not release becuase they would of hit your plane if u understand what I mean..

lol at your mission results, it usually happens to me 2 :P

the ea is on my 6! Remembering something I read I hit the drive brakes' date=' nose over[/quote']

top_gun_maverick_tom_cruise_suited.jpg

I Dont like you chippewa, you're dangerous!

Let's face it I'm a ground pounder, a grunt. I do very well as infantry so this flying and tanking stuff is always an adventure for me:

After haphazardly tossing bombs two nights ago (level bombing) I decided to read up on how you're REALLY supposed to use a stuka. It's a dive bomber silly, key word being DIVE.

So last night I find a mission. I find a town not hotly contested but one with a fb up close to it and no ea ews. I've got enough to worry about.

It's about 20km to the town from the airfield. Not too far but enough time to get altitude, about 2km.

As I'm cruising to the fb someone marks an et, perfect. I get above it down throttle, air brakes on, invert, dive! I'm lined up right on the marked tank, where is it? I switch on the dive siren but there is no et. I pull off the brakes, siren, throttle up and climb away.

I get up to about 1.7km and swing around to the fb as I see some tracers around it. Also there is an ea but he's being chased by some friendlies, he shouldn't bother me, besides there are clouds at this level. Throttle down, invert, dive. I lined up right on the fb, well not perfectly but close enough. Oh no, I forgot the dive brakes! The ground is coming up fast. Better drop the bomb fast. Hit b, nothing, pull up quick and hit the throttle.

I'm wondering what the heck is wrong with my bombs. I switch to the small bombs and try it, of course one drops. Maybe I was going too fast to drop it the first time or maybe I hit the wrong button. Anyway I'm climbing again and see tracers, the ea is on my 6! Remembering something I read I hit the drive brakes, nose over and go into a 90 degree dive. The tracers follow me. I drop my 250 bomb thinking I need to lose it to maneuver. I pull out of the dive on the treetops and head east. No more ea on my six.

I climb back to about 2km and swing around to the fb again. I line it up, air brakes, throttle down, invert and dive. I'm off the mark but adjust. I get the fb lined up but I see nothing down there. I drop all three remaining bombs and pull out heading east (hey that's a smart idea!).

I head back to the airfield watching my 6 for the ea. No problems and I get a rtb.

Mission result: 0 hits 0 kills!

No hits but I feel much more confident in the stuka. At least I'm understanding how to use it and not getting killed.

try not too use sirens they make your enemy hide, but not that quick....he was probobly wiating in ambush in a near by bush thus the name "amBUSH".

Followup:

Last night I took a stuka to Givet. I had been fighting there as infantry and knew the layout well.

On the way they reported that the bridge needed to come down so I decided that's where I'd drop the 250. I lined up and down I went, throttle back, brakes on, no siren ;) (forgot actually). It was pretty easy since you can line up on the road which is nice and straight. I dropped the bomb and actually hit the darn thing. Turns out I killed two ei who must've been close to or on the bridge.

I dropped the bomb low and I think I damaged the plane a little. Also, when I pulled back on the stick I released the air brakes but forgot to increase the throttle. Of course I figured it out but by then I had lost all my speed. I had to spend a bit of time climbing again to go for another run.

I came back to use the 4x50 bombs at about 1.7km alt. By now there were a few ea over Givet and our planes were engaging them. A P38 noticed me and came right towards me. I watched him and he jumped on my 6. At that point I applied the brakes and dove straight down. The P38 didn't follow as I pulled out heading east very low. That was enough for me. I flew back for a rtb deciding the sky was too contested for me to be flying around looking for targets.

Mission result 2 kills!

Anyway I'm climbing again and see tracers' date=' the ea is on my 6! [/quote']

LOL! Welcome to the world of tactical bombing. It's the same whether you are Axis or Ally.

As an Allied pilot that flies both bombing and fighter missions I can tell you that Stukas and 110C4's are priority targets.

Even if I'm engaged, I'll evade my way towards a Stuka or 110C4 if I can to try and squeeze off a shot.

09s and 190s aren't nearly the danger to our ground forces that Stukas and 110C4s are.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0