• Announcements

• SNIPER62

64-bit is LIVE   03/27/2020

CHIMM: 64-bit client is now LIVE and Campaign 172 continues!  
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sluggo

NVidia 5950 Ultra to a 7800GS

2 posts in this topic

Think thats a decent upgrade for video? Got a decent price on it, was looking at the 6800GTs becasue they were a bit lower in price overall online and rated up there with the 7800 series (if you weren't upgrading form a 6800 to a 7800). But certain things, like core clock speed and pipeline architecture just seemed to make the 7800GS a better bang for the buck since I was upgrading from a card thrid generation down from it.

Best I can tell it got decent reviews, and should blow doors on the 5950 (at least thats what the early reviews using 6800 series reference cards suggest against the 5950s. And most reviews comparing the 7800 and 6800 suggest 7800 series will beat a 6800, just not a worthwhile upgrade between those two series cards). And all be it the 6800gt and 7800gs seem to be closely matched in those same reviews, I could have gotten either for the same price ($340.00) because they were opened box. So...went with the 7800GS.

Deal or no deal?

P.S.

Bought an extra Gig of Corsair RAM to match my current 1 gig setup (at least in speed, got 1 gig Twin-X 3200 2x512, bought a 1 gig stick for my third slot thats also 3200 Corsair. Mobo doesn't support dual channel so...don;t see it matters much they are matched). Between the two, hopeflully I can get the eye-candy up as well as the FPS ;) Wife knows nothing about any of this yet, man am I deep shat when she gets the credit card bill.

LOL

The 7800GS is a better card than the 6800GT Ultra. It's the best AGP card you can currently get.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0